SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy Heros -- Who Is Left?

Cholla

7 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Nobody mentioned Raquel?

Or Ann Margret from The Villain?

proxy-image(2).jpg

Yeah... or them other two knuckleheads...

James Garner - Kevin Kline - Danny Glover - Graham Greene - Mary McDonnell - Dennis Quaid - Gene Hackman - Mark Harmon are a few more.

18 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

What? No Charlie Sheen?:wacko:

Side joke. How much cocaine did Charlie Sheen do? 

Enough to kill 2-1/2 Men.

I'll leave now.

What about Stacey “cocaine” Keach , I think he was in a couple of westerns 

27 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Unfortunately, James Garner is deceased.  

LL

I forgot he died around 2014 I believe

Don't forget Gary Busey, or HELL, for that matter Willie Nelson!!  There's Tom Berenger too.

• 3 weeks later...

I was surprised to hear that Ned Batey is still living. Retired, 82 years old.

I never figured George Carlin for a cowboy actor!!  He has passed, but he was really good in Streets of Laredo!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so a lot have gone to the last round-up.  I’ll tell you whom I like today:  Chris Pratt; Samuel Jackson; Ethan Hawke; Curt Russell; Michael Madsen; Vince Dinoffrio; Bill Pullman; Robert Taylor; and Vince Vaughn.

Of those that have been around a while with at least 2 Westerns, I particularly like:  Bill Pullman; Curt Russell; and Chris Pratt.

I enjoyed The Magnificent Seven. Review here. https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-reviews/the-magnificent-seven-review-a-classic-newly-diversified-western-rides-again-104331/ It starred Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke, Vincent D'Onofrio, Lee Byung-hun, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, Martin Sensmeier, Haley Bennett, and Peter Sarsgaard.

Magnificent Seven movie review

56 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I enjoyed The Magnificent Seven. Review here. https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/movie-reviews/the-magnificent-seven-review-a-classic-newly-diversified-western-rides-again-104331/ It starred Denzel Washington, Chris Pratt, Ethan Hawke, Vincent D'Onofrio, Lee Byung-hun, Manuel Garcia-Rulfo, Martin Sensmeier, Haley Bennett, and Peter Sarsgaard.

Magnificent Seven movie review

D’Onofrio, Pratt, and Hawke are in another one called, “The Kid” that is very good.  I believe D’Onofrio produced it and the movie features his daughter.

On 6/9/2020 at 12:15 PM, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I started a movie thread https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php?/topic/297415-good-movies/&tab=comments#comment-3861351 and someone recommended The Kid. So far, it isn't free on Dish. The Magnificent Seven was free.

The Kid was (and is) on Amazon Prime.  I got through the first 15 or 20 minutes, but found it slow and uninteresting.

LL

7 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

The Kid was on Amazon, or Netflix or HBO - I can't recall which.  I got through the first 15 or 20 minutes, but found it slow and uninteresting.

LL

You were just as well to give up, it doesn't improve.  "The Kid" it's about is not Billy the Kid (although he's obviously in it).   So Billy is just a bit player in what's supposed to be his own movie.  

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Ron Howard

He DID shoot the bartender!

The thread specifically states "HEROS" not two bit movie wanna be's. Given there were/are some really good actors. For me a real hero that also happened to be an actor but we can forgive him for that was Slim Pickens. How about the ones that fought in WW2 and later became actors. They were Heros.

Today the word Hero has been cheapened down to the popcorn level and I don't like it. It's time to raise the title back up and stop calling every lardass a hero because he/she licked their silver spoon clean

Actually, the thread specifies COWBOY HEROES. It has nothing to do with whether the man was actually heroic in real life.

He played a hero in westerns. That is a COWBOY HERO.

Just out of curiosity, what did Slim Pickens do that was so heroic?

Slim started off riding horses but then became a rodeo clown (The first to dress up as a clown) the most famous one back then and he wound up doing a lot for the rodeo clown industry. Just a great all around cowpoke and good guy. I woulldn't call Wyatt Earp necessarily a hero, or Wild Bill based on their lifestyles. No worse no better than the rest of them. John Wesly Hardin in my opinion is on par with them. Even was friends with Wild Bill for awhile. Got into a feud with the Suttons and is wife and parents were taken into custody and his brother and two cousins were hanged herre in town after Hardin shot the sheriff.

Life after the Civil War was hard and hard men shaped the west. I would also add Audie Murphey to the list. Most decorated soldier and Cowboy Hero.

John Wesley Hardin was killed in the Acme Saloon in El Paso in 1895.  I have business in El Paso every now and then, and I always forget or don’t have time to visit the original Saloon location or his grave ( not that I glorify him in any way).

Google maps shows a clothing boutique on the location of the Saloon.  Before the boutique opened for the first time, there were some murders in the basement.

Archived