SASS Wire Forum

CAUTION: BARNES bullets

I recently bought a box of BARNES bullets, specifically for my .357 SIG pistols.

BARNES states the diameter as .355, which is correct for 9mm and .357 SIG caliber.

40 bullets to the box:

20 were sized .3545

10 were sized .354

10 were sized .353

NONE were .355

I noticed this when I started placing them on top of the resized brass and a good many of them started slipping down inside without much

friction to hold them in place.

I checked many of my other bullets, like Speer, Berry's and maybe a couple others and ALL of them mic'd at .355

So, I sent a nice cordial email to BARNES about their box of bullets AND I also mentioned that I was able to reload them by minimizing

my 'neck mouth expansion die' AND also using my LEE factory crimp die to help secure a snug fit in the brass.

These are 2 things I have never had to do with other bullets.

BARNES never replied..... period.   

Just thought I would share a personal 'insignificant buyer' experience about these supposedly  great bullets and their manufacturer.

..........Widder

That's pretty bad quality control.

I'm interested to hear what they have to say for themselves.

Are you using a digital micrometer or a vernier that goes to tents of a thousandth?  When was the last time you checked it on gauge blocks?  

The .3540 and .3530 are not acceptable, but if you are using a digital mic and it is showing .3545, that could mean .3545 or it could mean .3549.    Manufacturing tolerances seem to be +/- .0002"  

Widder,

Berger doesn’t have pistol bullets on their website. They only have Rifle bullets. Are you sure they are Berger bullets? The first company I thought of when reading your post was Berry’s. I bought some undersized .357 bullets of theirs a few years ago. 

53 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Widder,

Berger doesn’t have pistol bullets on their website. They only have Rifle bullets. Are you sure they are Berger bullets? The first company I thought of when reading your post was Berry’s. I bought some undersized .357 bullets of theirs a few years ago. 

21 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

As Pat said Berger does NOT make pistol bullets. I use their target bullets exclusively for the past few years after lousy QC from Hornady, and Speer. Still shooting Sierra in my 3 gun rifle.

MY BAD and I apologize.   It is BARNES bullets.   I corrected my Thread to read correctly.

Thanks Pat and Happy Jack for catching that.   I should have known better than to type out something quickly before

heading out to church this morning.

Lumpy:  I emailed them on April 10 and April 12.   I thought they would atleast send me a 'thanks' and they would check their

QA process.

I actually used a dial caliper and a digital caliper for my bullet verifications.   The same instruments I used to check the other brand

of bullets, which mic'd at .355

Again, thanks for catching my brand name error.   I have corrected it.

P.S. - the bullets are Barnes item #30446.   TAC-XP,  125 gr.

I might also add that to help secure a proper, snug fit of the bullets, I had to hand pick 40 pieces of brass with slightly

thicker case mouth, resized all of them, THEN gave a slight expansion of the case mouth to help start the bullets to

seat, and then crimped with LEE factory crimp die.

I even checked out some of my 9mm bullets from Speer and Berry's, and they also mic'd at .355

..........Widder

1 minute ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Again, thanks for catching my brand name error.   I have corrected it.

No biggie. I may have made the same type of error myself....once.... :rolleyes:

Like the time I called to complain about a Delta Airlines flight attendant and the nice lady informed me the the flight info I gave her was for a Continental Airlines flight...oops... :lol:

I have never used Barnes bullets. I will definitely keep your experience in mind. Let us know how or if they fix it for you. 

Barnes, like many other lead bullet makers has occasional sizing problems. It is seen most often now with polymer coated bullets being oversize. If a company like Barnes makes both plated and coated bullets they must size the lead slugs differently. Perhaps they plated a run intended to be polymer coated. That would account for the undersize issue.  I only use their double plated 9mm bullets for 3gun. Work fine for that.

Buffalo Arms

5 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Widder, a 0-1" micrometer that reads .0000 would be the best to use here.

I'd be call'em Monday. 

Let's hear what their response is.

OLG 

I agree Lumpy.   But I ain't so sure its on my using the right equipment but rather BARNES either use the right equipment or train their

personnel how to use the equipment correctly.

I tested various bullets for my 9mm, .357 SIG and .40 caliber (10mm) ammo and ALL of them checked out at their respective .355 and .400

I even checked some factory loaded ammo from Remington, Speer, Winchester and Federal, of which mic'd out at .355 in the .357 SIG

ammo.

I'm pretty sure my equipment is accurate.

..........Widder

I tied to find a load using Barnes bullets that my .270 liked without success.  Figured it was just me or the gun.  I went back to Hornady bullets.  The venison is in the freezer.  I like the Barnes concept but it doesn’t seem to work in my rifle.

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Did you check for variation in roundness of these bullets?

Does Sierra make anything you could use?

OLG 

Hey Lumpy.

I really like the following, of which I continue to use them:

SPEER Gold Dot,  125 gr   .355  specifically for the .357 SIG

Sierra V-Crown,  125 gr     .355

Sierra V-Crown, 165 gr    .400  for the 10mm.

Various Berry's bullets, like the thick plate and Hybrid HP for both .357 SIG and 10mm.

I'm sure I have a variety of others but those above are my favorites.

ONE ODDITY:  The Sierra V-Crown works great in all my 10mm pistols:  Sig P220 Elite,  EAA Witness Compact, and Springfield TRP.

BUT, the Speer Gold Dots don't give reliable feeding in ANY of my pistols, nor a friends Iver Johnson Eagle, Springfield TRP and

Dan Wesson Kodiak.   But the shape of the Sierra V-Crown feeds good in ALL of these 10mm pistols.

..........Widder

Archived