Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Irish-Pat

Single action problem

Recommended Posts

The bolt won’t drop when I go to Half cock  to unload. I am getting a scratch around the cylinder on my uberti. What’s the problem with the bolt and how do I fix it?  ☘️ Pat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Bolt spring broken. 

Remove grip frame and you'll see.

OLG 

 

Are you saying the leg on the bolt itself?  Or the fork spring that powers the trigger and bolt?

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the bolt spring was broken, the bolt would not pop up.  His problem is it won't drop.  I'm thinking the leg of the bolt that rides on the hammer cam may be broken off.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen the trigger/bolt spring fail and then wedge itself under the cyl stop.

Could very well be what Abilene sez.

Still going to need to remove the grip frame to be sure.

Respectfully, 

OLG 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the bolt popping up ALL the way, or partially?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

The bolt won’t drop when I go to Half cock  to unload. I am getting a scratch around the cylinder on my uberti. What’s the problem with the bolt and how do I fix it?  ☘️ Pat

 

I'm going out on a limb and asking.  Have you taken the gun apart? 

 

If it's a broken or heavy warn part, it can be obvious what's wrong.  If you've never taken it apart,  it could be just gunked up. 

 

Acquire a set of gunsmith screwdrivers if you don't already have a set.  Brownell's has just a set for Colt SAA.  As does Grace USA. They are available through Brownell's or MidwayUSA, etc. 

 

I replaced the trugger/bolt spring in an old Colt in this viseo. I kind of high speed through the unscrewing parts but it shows the sequence.  Don't mix up the screws because they look similar but aren't.  Assemble everything loose untill everything is back in place and then go back and snug up the screws. 

 

 

Unerti parts are widely available and most often will just drop in replace. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I removed this post.  I erroneously referred to a Ruger, rather than a  a Colt or reproduction model, as per the OP. 

DDD

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It is normal to get a light scratch mark around the cylinder at the bolt contact/drag point.  When you're, shooting (no longer on half cock), the bolt is supposed to glide on the cylinder circumference, under light pressure, to be sure it rises properly up into the cylinder lock recess ramps. ...

 

Wrong.  You are describing a Ruger.  The OP has a single action (Colt or repro).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

 

Wrong.  You are describing a Ruger.  The OP has a single action (Colt or repro).

You're right.  I was referring to a Ruger.  I missed the "Uberti".  My error.  I removed the post.  

Edited by Dusty Devil Dale
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Irish Pat,   have you figured out the problem with you gun?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2020 at 6:40 PM, Warden Callaway said:

 

Are you saying the leg on the bolt itself?  Or the fork spring that powers the trigger and bolt?

 

 


Take-the-gun-apart-and-look!

 

Go to YouTube and look at the huge number of videos that will lead you step-by-step.  Some videos are better than others.  It’s easy to tell “which is which”.  I know you will figure it out; the SAA action is fairly straightforward.

 

Cat Brules

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is the thing on the hammer that pushes up on the whAtchamacallit.  I sent the pistol to Lassiter before I booger up the screws.  I know my limitations. Thanks everybody...Irish Pat

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Irish-Pat said:

It is the thing on the hammer that pushes up on the whAtchamacallit.  I sent the pistol to Lassiter before I booger up the screws.  I know my limitations. Thanks everybody...Irish Pat

 

Let us know how it comes out. 

 

DIY project.  Just one $5 part.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WC, you put out some great videos :excl:

Thank you for going to the trouble to make them :)

OLG 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

It is the thing on the hammer that pushes up on the whAtchamacallit.  I sent the pistol to Lassiter before I booger up the screws.  I know my limitations. Thanks everybody...Irish Pat

 

 

Sounds like the bolt cam on the hammer is worn away. The Early Uberti "D" cam guns were notorious for this.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nate you pegged it that is was it is. I have changed the spring and bolt before but that was beyond me.  Also the screw heads are very soft and have tightened by Italian guerrillas so I sent it to Lassiter already. Good to hear from you. I didn’t know that you are still around. I still have my 1866 carbine with the Indian chief you worked on for me years ago.  Your friend, Irish Pat

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

 

 

Sounds like the bolt cam on the hammer is worn away. The Early Uberti "D" cam guns were notorious for this.

 

 

Have you repaired (by welding) or replaced cam with Colt or Pietta cam or just junk the hammer and install a new hammer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Irish-Pat said:

Nate you pegged it that is was it is. I have changed the spring and bolt before but that was beyond me.  Also the screw heads are very soft and have tightened by Italian guerrillas so I sent it to Lassiter already. Good to hear from you. I didn’t know that you are still around. I still have my 1866 carbine with the Indian chief you worked on for me years ago.  Your friend, Irish Pat

 

 

Hi Pat,

Yep still here.  Lassiter should be able to fix it.

8 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

 

Have you repaired (by welding) or replaced cam with Colt or Pietta cam or just junk the hammer and install a new hammer?

It can be a pain to do but the cam can be ground flush, the hammer drilled for a new cam. But, you may need to go with one of the late model bolts with the rounded tip on the leg that engages the cam.

 

This is the old style bolt with the sharp tips that chew up the soft cams on the older "D" style Uberti's

 

1185000798_images(4).jpg.feca591a44504a0efb5f19f43e0ef29f.jpg

This is the more rounded later style

 

2077276302_download(2).jpg.8356cf5df3b0981947d6c88b97395851.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Quote

 I know my limitations.

Pat, You are the First 'kitchen table gunsmith' to admit their weaknesses on the Wire

10 Points BONUS :D

Edited by John Boy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.