SASS Wire Forum

Philosophy question: .38 Special or 45LC

John Kloehr

"........I suspect a lot of folk that have been shooting SASS awhile have both 38s and 45s............"

Levi is correct , i do for sure and yet i still prefer my 45 colts to my 38s so far , but its all about having fun and enjoying what your doing , do what makes you happy , 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW; I "shoot" snap caps at least 100 times daily in each 0f my Ruger .45 Colt revolvers. I need the practice in order to square away my muscle memory.

I also practice fast draw to compete in CFDA matches.

On 5/17/2020 at 11:37 PM, bgavin said:

Thanks.. I see the carrier is the same between both models.
Thinking about this a bit more... the carrier is an elevator type in the toggle-link design, compared to the slant carrier of the Marlin.

However, the OAL for 38SP is 1.55" vs 1.59" for 357.. a very negligible difference.

Q: does this mean the 1866 will chamber a 357 cartridge?

It might sound negligible if you look at the numbers on paper but it's a LOT when you look at the two side by side. Here a a few 38's and the 357

38SW38LC38SP357MAG_zpsbd9d287f.jpg

You have a nice example of various cartridges loaded to shorter lengths.
OAL is the design spec for the cartridge.

How about a photo showing the 0.04" difference between OAL of 38SP (1.55") and and 357 (1.59")

I hate to interrupt the direction of the thread at this point, so keep going.

Just checking in as to where my thinking is going at the moment.

Due to what seemed like fate, I'm getting a couple Uberti 1873 Cattlemen .44 Special (tuned by Taylor). Subject to positive results in another thread and some additional research on my part (my guns, my hands, my face), I'm looking to run .44 Russian in them. I'll collect the brass for future reloading with Holy Black.

Here is a pic comparing .38 Special, .44 Russian, and .45 ACP rounds:

IMG_0202.jpg

I am thinking about 44-40 in an 1873 rifle. It has the feel of length like the .45LC, and because John Kloehr history.

On 5/16/2020 at 7:59 PM, Ramblin Gambler said:

I never could figger out who marcy bocamp was.  I saw a store with her name on it in natchitoches, but it looked like a fancy dress shop so I never went in. 

I read the SASS rules. It says a dress is allowed. Had you gone in, you might be stylin now

Archived