SASS Wire Forum

Bluegrass recommendations?

Growing up I remember my grand dad always having the radio on and there was always seemed to be a happy beat driven by a banjo and fiddle in every song.

I've recently been listening to some modern bluegrass bands and some of them are great but would love some recommendations of the greats. 

Thanks

Then I'm sure you've heard of Dailey & Vincent. Jamie Dailey grew up about 45 minutes from me. Darren Vincent's sister Rhonda is pretty dang good too. I think they're from Kentucky.

The Earl's of Leicester are pretty great too and little more old school. Johnny Warren is the fiddle player and a well known golf instructor in this area.

Flat and Scruggs or Bill Monroe would probably fill your bill. Marty Stewart has produced some pretty good Bluegrass as well!

From Ohio there’s Joe Mullins from around Cedarville.  Larry Sparks comes from Middletown.  For a good bluegrass song, Peacemaker by  Steeldrivers. 

Chris Jones and the Night Drivers, not your typical southern country boy, born in Brooklyn, NY, lives in Alberta, Canada.
The Gibson Brothers, also not typical southern country boys, they come from the Schenectady, NY area.

Ricky Skaggs, I believe he is a southern country boy, performed once with Bill Monroe as a youngster (~9 years old?). I’ve seen the video.

Tyrel is right Rhonda Vincent, a Girl Raised In The South (GRITS) is also really good, 

Don’t pass over Doc Watson, from Deep Gap, North Carolina.

Just some of my favorites.

CJ

12 minutes ago, bgavin said:

I'm a banjo picker, so Alan Munde is in my CD collection.

For straight banjo and just random folk style music I really like Mean Mary. Check out her song Iron Horse

When we lived in Cali, our favorite bluegrass band was California.  Yes that is the name.  We saw them several times.  Wonderful. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=california+blurgrass+band&docid=608032489586624764&mid=223FB3392E628CB9AA9C223FB3392E628CB9AA9C&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

29 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Ricky Skaggs, I believe he is a southern country boy, performed once with Bill Monroe as a youngster (~9 years old?). I’ve seen the video.

From Louisa, Kentucky. Not too far from where my dad was raised. It doesn't get much more "bluegrass" than that.

One of my favorite bands has always been The Seldom Scene. Yes, that is spelled correctly. They've been around as long as I can remember. My dad and uncles would always tune in a show called "Bluegrass Ramble" on WOSU, the local public radio station. The Seldom Scene were a regular addition to the show.

Dale McCrory Band

Rhonda Vincent and the Rage

Allison Krause And Union Station

if you're into progressive bluegrass

Hayseed Dixie and Moody Bluegrass are really interesting

The Dillards, originally from Salem, Missouri.  They appeared on the old Andy Griffith Show as the Darling family.  I first saw them live in Boulder, Colorado about 1966.  Listen to Doug Dillard play “Banjo In The Holler”, and Rodney Dillard play a harmonica with no hands.

9 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

haha i've seen some of them. if you like them try some gangstagrass 

GangstaGrass ain’t bluegrass but I really like them.

Check out WDVX radio’s streaming broadcast from 6-9am every morning for a great 3 hours of bluegrass. It’s hosted by Steve Gulley who has his own great band, New Pinnacle, but he plays all the great grass. Bill Monroe to modern bluegrass, he has it all.

https://wdvx.com

some of my favorites...

Dale Ann Bradley

Phil Ledbetter

Earls of Leicester

Blue Highway

Balsam Range

Del McRory

Steve Gulley

Ron Block

Pickin' On is an excellent source of Bluegrass covers. Unfortunately for the most part you don't know who the actual band is as several groups participated.

All great suggestions. I'd add: 

The Pickin On Series

Dan Timinsky (from Union Station but has a great solo album)

Appalachian Road Show

Dirty River Ramblers (more progressive bluegrass and the bassist is a friend of mine)

Peter Rowan's album Bluegrass Boy is one of the best around.  Just as sweet and pure as a snow melt mountain stream.  ( Sorry, its good enough that ya gotta wax poetic to do it justice.)

15 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

haha i've seen some of them. if you like them try some gangstagrass 

Gangstagrass? They are too busy headbanging to be gangsta.

They are covering hard rock and classic heavy metal with a banjo, accordion, drums (often played with brushes) and a stand up bass.

41 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Gangstagrass? They are too busy headbanging to be gangsta.

They are covering hard rock and classic heavy metal with a banjo, accordion, drums (often played with brushes) and a stand up bass.

yeah i'm not a fan but thought they were appropriate to compare to steve n seagulls lol 

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones

Nickel Creek.  Alison Krauss has been a big supporter of Nickel Creek.

Crooked Still.  Unusual group with a cello.  Another one of Alison Krauss' finds.

4 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

All of them!   One not mentioned is Seldom Scene

You missed my post?

On 5/2/2020 at 9:11 PM, Choctaw Jack said:

Dale McCrory Band

Rhonda Vincent and the Rage

Allison Krause And Union Station

if you're into progressive bluegrass

Hayseed Dixie and Moody Bluegrass are really interesting

Allison Krause And Union Station and go no farther.   The best bluegrass I have ever heard is played by a local band called "Clear Water Junction".  It is the scoot down in your seat a bit more cause we gonna be here a while longer  music.

Several of these are great suggestions for examples of good bluegrass.  But if I were to buy just ONE album that has a great selection of the various styles of bluegrass / mountain music / traditional music, I would get "Will The Circle Be Unbroken".  It is a 3 record set put out in 1970.  The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band wanted to make a compilation album featuring the "founders" of bluegrass and old time music that generated from the Appalachian mountain region.  Besides the Dirt Band, It is a great compilation of songs and "old" artists such as:

Mother Maybell Carter

Jimmy Martin

Doc and Merle Watson

Hank Snow

Roy Acuff

Merle Travis

Junior Huskey

Earl Scruggs

and many others.

If you are a fan of bluegrass and what was once considered "hillbilly music", you have to have this album.

The picture on the front cover may look familiar to you as well.

Will-The-Circle-Be-Unbroken.png

Archived