SASS Wire Forum

New Visitor This Year

Subdeacon Joe

We're getting some new visitors to the feeders this year.  Band Tailed Pigeons.  

Video taken from the living room, sound is Guy's Grocery Games on the television, so maybe leave the sound off.  

I saw three this afternoon, two on that feeder at the same time and one on the ground.  

Also seen this afternoon - on the ground a Crow and a Squirrel duking it out under the feeder.  Several types of Woodpecker at the feeders.  Scrub Jay and Downy Woodpecker discussing territory.  Eurasian Collared Doves.  Mourning Doves.  Several types of Titmouse.  Lesser Goldfinch.  A few types of sparrow.  

24 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Interesting, Joe. We've had to quit feeding here, the raccoons have taken over. I've heard some red wing males singing lately, and the gold finch males have gone to their summer plumage:blush:

It's kind of weird, about 7 years ago we did have some raccoons near us, but they haven't been around since then.  Likewise we used to see quail in the mornings but haven't seen any in at least 5 years.

Same here; except that we back off feeding when the snow is gone; gotta let those creatures use their innate skills to forage.

Much to my surprise yesterday morning, as I was exiting the garage with the dog around sun-up, I was met by two fat groundhogs, jogging up the driveway.  All four of us froze in place for a second, and then the hogs bolted, one left and one right.  Dog headed left; the old man stayed put, and anchored the dog about 3 feet short of a mouthful of groundhog.

I'll bet that they stay a bit further away from the house from now on.

LL

5 minutes ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Guy's Grocery Games! Oh Joe, say it ain't so! We really do need live sports back on TV

Both my wife and I are Food Network junkies.  Amazing the little tricks you can pick up from a show like that.  

But, yeah, be nice to have some live baseball and hockey.  

My wife is wearing out the Gameshow Network and a YouTube Jewelry posting show. She now has more costume jewelry than she'll ever get to wear. Not to mention the bank account. Time off and she's DANGEROUS!

On the bird front, I haven't seen our resident wild turkeys for quite a while now. All the new houses up in the east end of the park must've forced them to move further away.:rolleyes::blink::blush:

4 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Same here; except that we back off feeding when the snow is gone;  gotta let those creatures use their innate skills to forage.

Vegetation is still coming back from the fires of 2017, 2018, and 2019, so their natural forage areas are somewhat sparse.

Archived