SASS Wire Forum

Gallup,New Mexico

Saw something on the news about all roads are shut down leading into Gallup, New Mexico. Governor has ordered riot control over the citizens. According to what I can find out they have had 19 covid deaths. Seems like a poor reason to lock down a town. 

Of course it is a poor reason to shut down Gallup.  

The State of New Mexico has has poor leadership for some time.

Cat Brules

The Navajo reservation has been very hard hit, as I think Four Corners Indian Country has been in general.

I stayed with some friends at the old iconic El Rancho in Gallup just last Spring and spent several days touring around the vast area. Beautiful country. Hope things work out for them OK. I'm too far away and know too little to make any judgment myself.

35 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

Saw something on the news about all roads are shut down leading into Gallup, New Mexico. Governor has ordered riot control over the citizens. According to what I can find out they have had 19 covid deaths. Seems like a poor reason to lock down a town. 

The county Gallup is in has the most cases in NM. 3400 total cases. 1,000 in McKinley County.

But quarantining the town seems like an unnecessarily radical step!

My youngest son is a fixed wing ambulance pilot stationed out of Flagstaff on a FEMA contract flying covid patients out of northern Arizona and New Mexico into hospitals in ABQ, Phoenix and Tucson. Flagstaff hospital became overwhelmed with cases about a month ago and couldn’t take any more. He just had one of his pilots resign because he didn’t want to risk getting the virus in the close proximity of the patients that they fly. So now my son is covering his shift too. He’s got 3 kids and every other week he’s got custody so trying to balance everything is problematic to say the least. His fiancé, a flight nurse on a medical helicopter has been filling in as nanny while he’s gone if their schedules don’t conflict. They moved her from the Tuba city operation to Holbrook to get the crews away from the covid exposure up at Tuba, but that’s hard to understand because most of their patients lately are covid patients. They both were working 12 hour shifts 6 days a week with 8 days off I guess. I volunteered to go over and help out but I have a hard time in the altitude up at Pinetop, where they live and I’m at pretty high risk for covid.

3 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

I read that yesterday , and was wondering if they blocked off the exits on I-40. Be bad news for somebody needing gas or diesel fuel. Maybe they put up warning signs out West of Albuquerque.

Rex :D

There's a Flying J in Jamestown just east of Gallup.  That's where I buy fuel on that stretch of I-40.  Fuel is not an issue. 

5 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Of course it is a poor reason to shut down Gallup.  

The State of New Mexico has has poor leadership for some time.

Cat Brules

I have little use for our current governor.  However, she did slash the state budget promptly when oil and gas revenues plunged.  Our former governor was good.  You might have heard her at the Republican National Convention describing how she worked her way through school pulling guard duty packing a 357 magnum revolver.    She is a rising star in the Republican Party.

Yeah there’s gas just outside the city limits. I hope Gallup’s open by the time we head home. I always stop at Earls to eat or the Route 66 cafe. :(

They are suppose to have a nightly curfew 8 pm -5 am & 8 pm friday -5 am monday in our area.There has been 26 deaths at 1 of the senior homes here.

Largo

Governor Lujan-Grisham of New Mexico has eased restrictions on all of NM except the 3 counties that are generally considered"Indian Country",or border or contain parts of the Navajo reservation.

These 3 counties have shown more vivid increases  than the rest of the state combined.

I'm not much in favor of her tactics either,but if something isn't done here,the nation is going to have a new coronavirus hot spot. 

And yeah, I do live there.

Choctaw Jack 

Archived