SASS Wire Forum

Hello From The Great Smoky Mountains

John Kloehr

Hello,

I couldn't find a "new members" introduction section. Hopefully this is the right place for this post.

I like firearms competition, and Cowboy Action interests me.

I have shot as a guest with the Greene County Regulators and the Oak Ridge Outlaws. A big shoutout to both clubs for welcoming a newbie and answering endless questions. And for letting me use your firearms and freely giving ammo! Yes, I still need me some guns.

I like the people I've met, and I like the limits on technology. I like the "spirit of the game." Many of the other sports seem to push speed and accuracy through technology rather than skill. That said, I do plan to slick up my CAS guns for speed. My bias in the other sports is more about not buying scopes or red dot sights until they are the reason I'm not doing better.

How good am I? Middle of the pack on a good day. I have an occasional good day.

Slowly been getting my gear together... Very slowly as funds permit. This month, I ponied up for membership and to establish the name (John Kloehr) which I really can't believe nobody else has taken before me.

A few months ago, I bought a cart. I have most of an outfit, but will need to read the rules for the additional accessories required depending on division. Still need a pocket watch whether required or not; I just want one!

But to really participate, I'm gonna need me some guns. They are kind of important. Hopefully in a few months.

Until then, I will have a lot more questions.

And here is a picture of me with borrowed guns and leather:

SASSfun.jpg

If you are looking for guns and other equipment we have both Classifieds and Merchants corner forums you can check out.

Howdy and welcome to the game! Best advice I can give you, as I am still a greenhorn, is to try and shoot as many revolvers, rifles and calibers before buying anything. Shotguns are basically 3 types, the double barreled coach guns, the '97 pump actions and the '87 lever actions. I've been in the game just a year and have already changed shotguns and rifles. Ask lots of questions you'll get many different but helpful and informative answers. Cowboys are the best pards you can ever meet!  Lot's of stuff to learn, and besides your pards, the Shooters Handbook can be one of your best sources for information. Most of all, have fun!!

Hope to see you on the trail.

AG

Howdy John Kloehr.

I don't recall if we met but I live in Maryville and regularly (in warm weather) shoot at Oak Ridge.

Welcome.  If I can help with any info or otherwise, give me a shout:  865 / 696-1996

My friends call me Widder....... and then hand me a cold diet Pepsi........... :lol:

Just jokin.

Anyhow, always feel free to holler if ya want.   Hope to meet you soon.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Uncle Ethan # 94321 said:

If I didn't say howdy when you shot at Oak Ridge I'll say it now and welcome. Hopefully we will be shooting again soon.

Don't worry, I'll get back there. Also been wanting to run Steel Challenge there (assuming I am allowed to mention other sports here).

4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Welcome to the best game there is! That's a great group of Cowboys/Cowgirls you're becoming a part of.

I have found very few real jerks in any of the sports but so far seen the fewest in CAS.

1 minute ago, John Kloehr said:

Don't worry, I'll get back there. Also been wanting to run Steel Challenge there (assuming I am allowed to mention other sports here).

No problem as far as I know.

2 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

If you are looking for guns and other equipment we have both Classifieds and Merchants corner forums you can check out.

I'll post WTBs as I have the cash. Once I decide on firearms, I'm also going to need a bandolier, belt and holsters, and a few more items.

The hard part of looking at what anything for sale now is lack of funds.

Speaking of which, I know I am going to have to learn to load ammo for this sport; the commercial offerings are just to expensive. So reloading gear will also be needed.

2 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Howdy and welcome to the game! Best advice I can give you, as I am still a greenhorn, is to try and shoot as many revolvers, rifles and calibers before buying anything. Shotguns are basically 3 types, the double barreled coach guns, the '97 pump actions and the '87 lever actions. I've been in the game just a year and have already changed shotguns and rifles. Ask lots of questions you'll get many different but helpful and informative answers. Cowboys are the best pards you can ever meet!  Lot's of stuff to learn, and besides your pards, the Shooters Handbook can be one of your best sources for information. Most of all, have fun!!

Hope to see you on the trail.

AG

I have made some decisions on what I want to start with and why those are my choices. Well, except in some cases I have not decided other than narrowing down the options.

There will be many questions and I'll start another thread on this subject very soon.

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy John Kloehr.

I don't recall if we met but I live in Maryville and regularly (in warm weather) shoot at Oak Ridge.

Welcome.  If I can help with any info or otherwise, give me a shout:  865 / 696-1996

My friends call me Widder....... and then hand me a cold diet Pepsi........... :lol:

Just jokin.

Anyhow, always feel free to holler if ya want.   Hope to meet you soon.

..........Widder

My friends hand me a bottle of Cuervo Gold. My good friends hand me a bottle of Don Julio Silver. But I'm happy to hand over some diet Pepsi.

I see you do varmint hunting... Have you ever hunted, prepped, cooked, and eaten Chicken of the Tree? Seems like a good way to get into hunting.

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

so is John Kloehr your alias?

Yup. Can't believe nobody else got it years ago.

My outfit is how I think he might look in a B-western as the owner of a stable. In reality, he looked like he actually worked in the stable.

Who was he? From:

https://www.kayempea.net/adds/kloehr.html

On October 4, 1892, five men, Tim Evans, or Powers, Grat Dalton, Bob Dalton, Emmet Dalton and Dick Broadwell, the last having been enlisted in the scheme a day or two before, rode up from the Indian Territory from that part known as the Cherokee nation.

They passed the night hiding in the wooded fastnesses along the banks of the Verdigris River, on which this town stands. Early on the morning of the 5th they took up their journey again, their bloodied horses refreshed by rest and food.

For miles they followed one of the main roads into Coffeyville, the road that becomes Eighth street when it enters the town.

I saw Grat and his companions take up their position behind the wagon and I determined to wait until the most auspicious moment came before attempting to do anything. Just at this moment Bob and Emmet came down the alley from the other way, making for their horses. As I saw them they saw me. We had often competed in friendly shooting matches. He knew that when I fired I shot to kill.

“Hell!” he exclaimed. “There's Kloehr. I hate to do it, but he's got to fall.” For a moment I was transfixed, watching his face intently as the bird watches the snake about to seize it. Then instictively my own rifle came to my shoulder. I fired just as Bob pulled the trigger. His bullet went wild, glancingly striking the side of the alley, taking a tangent course and killing both the Standard Oil horses and entering my barn, where it demolished a buggy wheel. But Bob, poor chap, lay in the alley, shot through the breast.

Emmet fired at me, and I returned the shot. He was wounded. I could see that, but he kept steadily on. His companions behind the oil wagon now opened up on me. I had no time to care for Emmet. Skirting the alley paling until he came to a breach, he crawled through and away.

Grat Dalton, Powers and Broadwell kept up a galling fire on me. I was not hit. Some way I felt exalted, lifted above everything on this earth. I did not fear their bullets; it seemed as though I was invulnerable.

Finally, Grat exposed himself. I got him. Then, siezed with a sudden terror, Powers and Broadwell made a rush for their horses. Before they could mount I had hit them, too, but Broadwell, exerting superhuman effort, dragged himself into the saddle and rode off. His body was found later beside a hedge a mile from town.

Emmet, who had made his way to a lumber pile, now reappeared in the alley, obviously trying to reach his horse. I shot him again. He had enough, and surrendered, and is still doing time at Fort Leavenworth.

I think he embellished the story a bit, but you get the idea of who he was.

48 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I'll post WTBs as I have the cash. Once I decide on firearms, I'm also going to need a bandolier, belt and holsters, and a few more items.

The hard part of looking at what anything for sale now is lack of funds.

Speaking of which, I know I am going to have to learn to load ammo for this sport; the commercial offerings are just to expensive. So reloading gear will also be needed.

If you are going to start reloading I suggest you find someone in your area to Mentor you.  It is not a difficult hobby but there are some details that having someone experienced to help you overcome them would be beneficial.

2 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

If you are going to start reloading I suggest you find someone in your area to Mentor you.  It is not a difficult hobby but there are some details that having someone experienced to help you overcome them would be beneficial.

Agree. Youtube and books only go so far. They can not replace someone experienced watching everything I do.

So far, it has not been worth reloading. I buy 9mm at 16.4 cents a round when I find it, so not worth reloading. And 7.62 in steel cases is not reloadable and is also cheap.

But cowboy action loads? That costs about as much as SD ammo.  I don't mind paying those prices for a couple boxes a year, but not for a thousand rounds.

Howdy!  You're up there with a great bunch!  If I can I'd like to give you a couple of suggestions.  Clothing is usually not a big deal at most local monthly matches unless you're shooting something like B Western.  Don't misunderstand me, you've still have to wear clothes to shoot, but you can probably get away with jeans, boots, shirt and a hat.  As far as leather there are lots of craftsmen big and small, I'd strongly suggest buying from someone who knows our game, all holsters are not created equal.  That said you'll have to have a good idea of what pistols you plan on using before looking for holsters, you can usually order your SG shell holder to match.  Try to find used guns at first, most of our guns are working guns, not safe queens, so they may get dings and scratches.  Plus if you can find what you want on the SASS classifieds chances are they've had some work done to them to make them run better.  Lastly post any questions, if you ask for an opinion you're going to get lots of 'em and it'll give you some things to think about that you may not have thought of.  

58 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Howdy!  ... Don't misunderstand me, you've still have to wear clothes to shoot, but you can probably get away with jeans, boots, shirt and a hat. 

Clothes just trap brass, clothes are dangerous. JK. I do see a lot of shooters putting a lot of effort in authentic clothing, I like my Levis. The rest is just fun.

I think it is time to start my next thread with questions... One of the guns I'm interested in or which caliber to run... Four possible questions out of the gate. Guns or caliber, flipping a coin now...

Incoming.

2 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

One of the joys of CAS is that you can bring skills from other shooting sports into the game.  At our major matches we have clays events and long range events.  Shooters who participate in those shooting sports do quite well in those side matches.

Regarding reloading: most reload metallic cartridges.  Black powder shooters also reload shotgun shells.  Look to reload metallic cartridges soon.  Single stage presses are not costly but are slow.  Progressive presses are the way to go - though I keep a single stage press around for old jobs and small lots.  I have one Lee progressive and two Dillons.  My Dillons are by far my favorite progressive presses.  Hornady presses get good reviews on this forum.  I just don't own one.  My Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro is a lot of press for as little as a paid for it.  However, it is harder to use than my Dillons.

BTW, good move borrowing guns to get started.  Many (myself included) should have borrowed guns before the made their first purchase.

welcome !!! and i am guessing but looks like a skb and a 73 and maybe a pocket full of rugers ?? i would say they loaned you the real sharp hook stuff ,,, aint no need in messing around set the hook HARD     HA  HA  good luck it is a lot of fun and friendly also ....... But dont get into a nanner split eating contest with that guy thats friends with widder          Burn Through

1 hour ago, Burn Through said:

welcome !!! and i am guessing but looks like a skb and a 73 and maybe a pocket full of rugers ?? i would say they loaned you the real sharp hook stuff ,,, aint no need in messing around set the hook HARD     HA  HA  good luck it is a lot of fun and friendly also ....... But dont get into a nanner split eating contest with that guy thats friends with widder          Burn Through

Howdy Burn Through.

That 'manner split' eating feller is TN Williams.   He's a friend...... as long as he stays in middle Tennessee and don't come east to eat

any ice cream.

And...... you forgot to mention that he is also the worlds biggest, most notorious liar.  And hopefully, John won't heed any advice from

TN Williams..... :lol:

..........Widder

10 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Regarding reloading: most reload metallic cartridges.  Black powder shooters also reload shotgun shells.  Look to reload metallic cartridges soon.  Single stage presses are not costly but are slow.  Progressive presses are the way to go - though I keep a single stage press around for old jobs and small lots.  I have one Lee progressive and two Dillons.  My Dillons are by far my favorite progressive presses.  Hornady presses get good reviews on this forum.  I just don't own one.  My Lee Auto Breech Lock Pro is a lot of press for as little as a paid for it.  However, it is harder to use than my Dillons.

BTW, good move borrowing guns to get started.  Many (myself included) should have borrowed guns before the made their first purchase.

Lee and Dillon are the press names which keep coming up. Agree brass first, shotgun is not really a place to save money. OTOH, shooting those really soft "puff puff" loads is a lot of fun. Can go real fast with low recoil.

Borrowing arms was wonderful! It really cut down the number of options I am considering.

10 hours ago, Burn Through said:

Good eyes. I think you called the long guns, probably right on the revolvers too.

I was really amazed what a good slicking can do for all of them, a true pleasure to shoot.

Welcome to the game. Now go get yourself a good hat. Yeah, I know it isnt required, and it will make Griff grumpy that I told you that, but, what the heck. Do it anyway. The Tennessee State match is Oct 8-10 in Wartrace. Plan on coming, you wont regret it.

Imis  (style points are as important as speed)

Welcome to the game Pard!  I just started shooting last August and I'm having an absolute blast.  Started by hanging out at my local shooting club's match, hooking shotgun knockdowns and picking up brass.  Learned a lot just by watching the other cowboys and cowgirls, then the Match Director, Major BS Walker said it's time to shoot a match, a few folks loaned me what I needed and I've been hooked ever since.  The people in this sport are the best part, very generous, helpful and best of all friendly.  Shot my first 2-day match right before the COVID-19 crap ended things around here and managed a respectable finish.  From you posts it sounds like you're doing all the right things.  Recommend shooting at other clubs also, I finally ventured out from the comfort of my home club and shoot matches at two other clubs that are within an hour of me, which has been a blessing. Shooting at other places has given me the opportunity to shoot with other Pards, gaining more experience with different setups and scenarios.  Best advice from one greenhorn to another, find a mentor, watch, listen and learn, shoot matches, and shoot more matches!!

Good luck, be safe, stay healthy and enjoy the best game in town.  

Howdy and Welcome John Kloehr to the best game and folks goin. Hang on for the addiction!!

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

John , Welcome from North of da Medicine Line ,,,,, Canada for the Un-informed ...

Just skip the Baby stages and Jump into the Fun stuff and Make Smoke ...

Once after I shot a stage , the MD came on the Run with the fire extinguisher ....

TN Williams ain't a bad sort ,,,,,,,,,, But he tells tall Tales ...

Jabez Cowboy

Welcome to the most fun you can have with your clothes on! if you don't start loading right away Scarlett sells some nice loaded ammo as well as components for when you start loading.

https://bulletsbyscarlett.com/shop/ols/categories/cowboy-cartridges-low-velocity-specifically-for-cowboy-shooter

If you decide to shoot the Tennessee State Championship we have been known to have some door prizes at the Friday Night Dinner 

IMG_1046.thumb.JPG.1e19a27a9455d513ef2ad352cbd4dc07.JPGIMG_0268.thumb.JPG.7bcec56f6003a3e0f87aac457494e7e0.JPG

Randy

5a2ef12c5e438_RandySaintEagle-PosseMember.JPG.975aa5d9bfcb1cc0ef0134b8254f0d4a.JPG.47f38d0b78f7922460899276bd62dc55.JPG

Welcome to our game.  We all learn a bit from each other.  You just inspired me to lookup John Kloehr.  Interesting story.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:41 PM, Mister Badly said:

Welcome John. Just so you know, I intend to keep my title of sweatiest cowboy in Tennessee so don't get no ideas.!!

As a matter of fact, just in case I could possibly sweat more I am going to wear chaps this year. 

Howdy John

You fell right into a nest of desperate Outlaws there in East TN.

Won't be long before they start telling you stories about a magical place just north of you by one state where beer literally flows out of the wall.

You are one lucky guy.

Waimea

Archived