SASS Wire Forum

Question about Dillon Press Add On

Tequila Shooter

Last night I thought of an added improvement to a Dillon Press.  I'm thinking that my first step would be to talk to an engineer to see if it's doable, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate.  I don't want to start a company in fact if I new that Dillon wanted to sell it, or a another after market supplier, I'd let them.

So I guess that I'm looking for advice on how to proceed to see if it's viable.  If you're an engineer this may interest you.

The only way I can think of to improve a Dillon press is to replace it with a Hornady Lock n' Load :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good luck with your endeavor.

16 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Last night I thought of an added improvement to a Dillon Press.  I'm thinking that my first step would be to talk to an engineer to see if it's doable, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate.  I don't want to start a company in fact if I new that Dillon wanted to sell it, or a another after market supplier, I'd let them.

So I guess that I'm looking for advice on how to proceed to see if it's viable.  If you're an engineer this may interest you.

Sent you a message.

There's a whole market of add on gadgets for Dillon presses.  Some are more useful and better constructed than others.  Check on ebay and see if somebody has already addressed your idea.  The one's I've found useful are the powder measure quick release, powder measure adjustment knob and the spent primer capture system.  

I have found that the device selling on ebay to shut off the primer feed on a 650 is well worth the money.  A very usefull item.

3 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

The only way I can think of to improve a Dillon press is to replace it with a Hornady Lock n' Load :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good luck with your endeavor.

I hope the Lock n Load is a lot better than the old Projector.   

I went through 3 presses before I settled on a Dillon 650,  not looking for anything else. 

Randy

Just now, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

I hope the Lock n Load is a lot better than the old Projector.   

I went through 3 presses before I settled on a Dillon 650,  not looking for anything else. 

Randy

It is, I have 2 and like them a lot. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the Dillon's,  they're great machines too. I was really just funnin' with Tequila Shooter.

I found that to stop the cases feeding on the 650, just move the spring loaded case shuttle thingy (technical term) and put a 38 caliber case behind it to wedge it open.  Fits perfectly.   No more cases fall even if the case loading tube is full.  Great way to clear jams and address problems on the shell plate without additional cases getting involved.

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Which model?

OLG 

OLG my thought was on the 650, but it may very well work with any machine that ejects the finished rounds.

22 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

It is, I have 2 and like them a lot. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the Dillon's,  they're great machines too. I was really just funnin' with Tequila Shooter.

Never used a Dillon but I am pleased with my Lock N Load and the price difference is what made me go there initially. I added a $100 3D printed case feeder and have no complaints. Tequila Shooter, if you come up with relatively inexpensive case feeders or bullet feeders you'd be onto something. I've spent all the money I am willing to trying to get a consistent, cheap bullet feeder for coated lead bullets.

4 minutes ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

Never used a Dillon but I am pleased with my Lock N Load and the price difference is what made me go there initially. I added a $100 ink jet printed case feeder and have no complaints. Tequila Shooter, if you come up with relatively inexpensive case feeders or bullet feeders you'd be onto something. I've spent all the money I am willing to trying to get a consistent, cheap bullet feeder for coated lead bullets.

The cheap 3D printed ones are actually better than the Hornady case feeder.

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

My idea revolves around a built in case check.

What, are you looking to figure out how to check the finished cartridge to make sure it will chamber correctly?

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

My idea revolves around a built in case check.

Just please pick something besides a buzzer for the alarm.  I already don't know if I'm out of primers or got a bad powder drop.  Something that would check for high primers would be good.  Hopefully without setting one off.

13 hours ago, Nickel City Dude said:

What, are you looking to figure out how to check the finished cartridge to make sure it will chamber correctly?

Yes, and maybe case length.  Something like this, but built in

image.png.ddca873a9ecbf7cfc4a25b63740971fd.png

11 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

Just please pick something besides a buzzer for the alarm.  I already don't know if I'm out of primers or got a bad powder drop.  Something that would check for high primers would be good.  Hopefully without setting one off.

No buzzers.  Maybe a train whistle? :D  

If you have a great product manufactured, one market place that is familiar to lots of shooters is UniqueTek out of Phoenix area (Mesa actually)  They have added several Dillon add-on and CAS oriented items to their sales line.

http://uniquetek.com

Great ideas abound.  Persistence and investment added to a great idea will sometimes make a great product.  Proper marketing will sometimes turn that into a profitable product.  

Good luck, GJ

Archived