SASS Wire Forum

1873 Uberti Dust Cover Sphere Size

TBBandito

So, I was cleaning my 1873 Uberti Carbine (older model) and decided to fully break it down... well I knew to be careful when removing the dust cover. I even planned on the sphere popping out... not shooting at 750 fps!!

So, I ordered 2, but the first place back ordered them and 2nd will take a week+.  I’d like to get it put it back together and was wondering if anyone knows what size it is so I can get one locally as it’s just a ball bearing!

Any ideas?

TB

Well I was going to measure the one in my 1873 carbine...

But it flew out and is now somewhere on the floor mixed in with the lead shot from my MEC.

Hmmm, seems like I've used 7.5 lead shot for that reason.

Sorry can't really help.

Note to self:  put a cookie sheet under the MEC reloaded.

2nd note to self: order a ball bearing after someone let's TB no what size.

Hahaha!! I was all prepared to keep it from flying away & glad to have my safety glasses on!! 

When I get the extras that I ordered, I’ll bring you one of the leftovers!!

Right now just about everything is in a baggy but it all back in/on the Carbine!!

TB

3.5MM = .137" works, it won't go through most dust cover screw holes.  Purchase through an industrial supply by the 100. 

17 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

0.1350". Taylor's has 'em. 

20200502_075801.jpg

Taylor’s “had” em! That’s who i ordered from and they’re back ordered. Something about Uberti being in Italy all shut down. Don’t know why, it’s not August...

Durn.  Thought everybody knew Italy was Closed.  Vatican won't even give a tour of the Cat Combs.  Sharks have been seen swimming in the Canals.  Sharks are short on Tourist Food.

4 hours ago, TBBandito said:

Taylor’s “had” em! That’s who i ordered from and they’re back ordered. Something about Uberti being in Italy all shut down. Don’t know why, it’s not August...

I have 3 or 4.   If you PM me an address, I will mail you a couple.  But if you happen to hunt with steel shot or know someone who does, #4 is 0.130 - close enough.  

14 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Well I was going to measure the one in my 1873 carbine...

But it flew out and is now somewhere on the floor mixed in with the lead shot from my MEC.

Hmmm, seems like I've used 7.5 lead shot for that reason.

Sorry can't really help.

Note to self:  put a cookie sheet under the MEC reloaded.

2nd note to self: order a ball bearing after someone let's TB no what size.

A magnet will pick up that steel ball from the lead balls.

11 minutes ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

A magnet will pick up that steel ball from the lead balls.

Yeah, but then I couldn't poke fun at Toy Boy.

On 5/2/2020 at 10:55 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

Here is all you need to know

I don't see the need to use the dust covers, especially if you clean semi-regularly. And, if the small screw gets loose, it'll cause problems. As was suggested above, put it in a zip lock bag & save it in cas you ever sell the rifle.

If I remember this post correctly, the OP didn't want to remove his cover, he wanted a detent ball.  And I think he already has some coming from a helpful pard.

Good luck, GJ 

Archived