SASS Wire Forum

Gone With the Wind

Ms Helen Brimstone was telling me that Gone With the Wind was perhaps the best movie ever made.

Since the last time I saw the film was when I was eight (and probably slept through most of it in the back seat of a '51 Chevy), I figgered I'd give it a shot.  After all, I've had it on the shelf for years in the un-opened case.

Well... loaded it in the DVD player, got some snacks, and settled in.

I made it a whole half-hour.  That was a LONG half-hour  hypnotized  

So - am I totally without class or taste?  Or is it worth a second attempt...?  confused

The book is better. I'm  sure  you  have  heard  that  before .   Much longer  to get  through . 

CS  

Hardpan,

Just slip Stagecoach into the sleeve for GWTW, leave it on the coffee table.  Next time Ms Brimstone's over, and she asks "how'd you like the movie", just point and say, "that's the best movie from '39, if not ever!"

She likes your good taste, and you keep the faith!

I actually was thinking that it would have been more tolerable if it'd had a young Duke in the cast....  :rolleyes:

Now, I won't say that my eyes glassed over, but they sure as heck seemed to develop a waxey haze... :mellow:

To me it gets better, but then again , I live in GA and can relate to the places and how bad Sherman was, we still hate him in GA.  My favorite line from any movie is in Gone With The Wind when the yankees are bombing Atlanta and Aunt Pitty Pat says, "YANKEES! IN Georgia!  How did they ever get in?"  I can relate to that line as I have run into many a yankee that moved here and then complains we have houses with yards instead of stacked on top of each other.  

1 hour ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Only If you like soap operas set during the Civil War. 

Fiddle Dee Dee!!  :angry:

Cat Brules

Never liked GWTW, always struck me as a chick flick or soap opera shoehorned into the Civil War. Probably cause the main character Scarlett O'Hara was unattractive to me (not her looks or the actress) but her whole demeanor screamed bordeline personality and narrcisist - run away run away. Feel like her character would be right at home on one of those awful modern reality shows where the show is just an excuse to jam a bunch of people with personality disorders together then watch it burn.

56 minutes ago, Raylan said:

Never liked GWTW, always struck me as a chick flick or soap opera shoehorned into the Civil War. Probably cause the main character Scarlett O'Hara was unattractive to me (not her looks or the actress) but her whole demeanor screamed bordeline personality and narrcisist - run away run away. Feel like her character would be right at home on one of those awful modern reality shows where the show is just an excuse to jam a bunch of people with personality disorders together then watch it burn.

You didn’t like Scarlet because she reminded you of those girls in high school who would never speak to you........

Vivian Leigh as Scarlet was perfect.  A great movie and very well done.  If you say you liked the book better, that’s not surprising.  But the movie is a very accurate and beautiful representation of the book.  1939 was probably THE best year for Hollywood movies.

Cat Brules

I think it's waaaaay overrated. Slow and boring in many parts. I give it a C.

12 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Ms Helen Brimstone was telling me that Gone With the Wind was perhaps the best movie ever made.

Since the last time I saw the film was when I was eight (and probably slept through most of it in the back seat of a '51 Chevy), I figgered I'd give it a shot.  After all, I've had it on the shelf for years in the un-opened case.

So - am I totally without class or taste?  Or is it worth a second attempt...?  confused

Not in my book.  I consider it to be one of the most over-rated movies ( and books) in history.

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I think it's waaaaay overrated. Slow and boring in many parts. I give it a C.

This +1.............and the damn Yankees still win every time I watch it.

14 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I'm probably older than you and was raised in the South......I still haven't seen the movie all the way through.  Its almost as hokey as the Dallas TV series.

Prologue to Gone With The Windone of the greatest of American Films:

“There was a land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields called the Old South. Here in this pretty world, Gallantry took its last bow. Here was the last ever to be seen of Knights and their Ladies Fair, of Master and of Slave. Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a Civilization gone with the wind.”

Cat Brules

It was in color. That was a big deal in 1939. 13 Oscar nominations. 8 wins. 
Not one of my favorite films.

“Tara’s Theme” from “Gone With The Wind”

Cat Brules

“ Gone With The Wind“

A great book

A great film production....movie

A great theme.....”Tara’s Theme”

A great year, 1939, for Hollywood

Try watching it with the right attitude:  The Old South, Before, During and After the Civil War.

Cat Brules

Remember... 1939 also was "The Wizard of OZ" with Judy Garland.
If you start the Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" CD at the last roar of the lion, it tracks perfectly.

For those wanting to go farther out into the weeds... there is Zardoz with Sean Connery.
But that was 1974..

;)

1939 best films - The Wizard of OZ, Stagecoach, The Hound of the Baskervilles, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Dodge City, Gunga Din, and Another Thin Man.

25 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Another vastly over-rated movie.

But Geraldine Chaplin was sure easy on the eyes...  :blush:

Can you imagine TODAY, in 2020, such a large number of very good Hollywood movies being released?

Cat Brules

Archived