SASS Wire Forum

Can someone help me with my Stevens double barrel?

Stopsign32v

I don't remember what model it is. Maybe a 225 or 235?

Anyways I got it and put it together a while back and have never shot it. I put two empty brass casings in it and I cannot get them out. From what I remember it would at first open all the way, as in hinge too far sometimes. Then it stopped doing that and now it seems to not open quite far enough to take the shells out. The lip of them hits the receiver. I put it away for months and just pulled it out to look at and would like to finally get it operational. I've tried to open it and can't get it to open easily and don't want to damage it.

So I wanted to come here and ask you guys how it actually works. In particular, what is that knob at the front of the forearm and how does it work? As well, it is missing the rear screw to the trigger guard, does anyone know where I can find a replacement? I know it shot by the owner because I saw it. Only when it was taken apart I apparently can't put it back together correctly.

49842798846_2932e6d394_c.jpg

49842798696_5d1f738874_c.jpg

Yes, it does open with it off. This is when the barrels would open further than they should (not sure if this is normal or not.)

How do you fit it correctly? I'm not new to double barrels and how they go together. I just don't want to force something when it shouldn't be. The knob on the front really has me wondering. Does it do anything?

10 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Something about the foreend just doesn't look 'rite'. :huh:

OLG 

I have too many old Stevens hammer doubles than I can come up with an accurate guess and none have a forend that looks like that.  Wood shape aside,  the metal looks to be homemade or adaptation from some other shotgun. 

The model number have always been between the two screws on the trigger plate in front of the trigger guard.   This gun looks to have been refinished so the model number was probably scrubbed off. 

12 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I have too many old Stevens hammer doubles than I can come up with an accurate guess and none have a forend that looks like that.  Wood shape aside,  the metal looks to be homemade or adaptation from some other shotgun. 

The model number have always been between the two screws on the trigger plate in front of the trigger guard.   This gun looks to have been refinished so the model number was probably scrubbed off. 

49843070031_810b521293_c.jpg

1 minute ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Wrong Forend did it get mixed up with another guns ?

Jabez Cowboy

Its been so long there is no telling. I don't believe so though. But you guys seem to be right. All Stevens 235s I can see do not have this forend.

Ok I tapped tapped tapped gently and got it to open all the way and removed the shells. Then removed the forend and this is what I got. A screw backed out all the way which no doubt didn't help anything. And the front thing does thread and there is a spring.

49842556278_551ff5922a_c.jpg

49843099356_a8e9c2649d_c.jpg

49843099171_03d1be73d1_c.jpg

And I remember now, this IS the forend that was originally on the shotgun when he shot it. I remember because of the 4 dots.

Also the seller sent me pictures and I just looked. This is the original forend that he had on it.

1 minute ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Right side firing pin looks bent, not allowing pin to clear the base of the shell.

my$.02

Imis

I'm remembering the firing pins are just floating and don't have a spring to retract them.  Could be the pin is bent as Imis says or could be crudded up. Push the pin in and then push it back out from the breach face side.  It should move freely.   It could be broken. 

AH! I got it figured out.

So the screw with the spring is actually a button. Pressing it in is the only way to release the forend. By me trying to force it off I guess I backed out the screw. I screwed the lose screw back in with the button pressed and now the gun functions fine. Locks up tighter than a bank vault too! Just fired off some bird shot in the back yard. Works perfect!

47 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Take that screw back out and insert a toothpick cut to the depth of the hole. Reinstall the screw.

That will give the screw new 'bite'.

OLG 

That’s a good, quick idea to tighten up a (possibly) wallowed-out wood-screw hole.  I’ve done that before, too.

Cat Brules

Un-screw the Pin keepers ,remove the pins and clean it up inside, check the Pins for bends and Pin protrusion when pushed all the way forward ...

In the several hundred Stevens 235s I have seen I have never before seen one with a Forestock  like yours ...

I have used a Un-cut one for years in this game ... Still have one ...

Jabez Cowboy

It would also have A 9865 stamped on the For-end  Frame ....

If it was Original ...

My 3 current Stevens have matching Numbers on Action, Barrel and For-end Frame ...

I got of my Chair and checked ,,,, You owe me a Coke ( the Brown Cold with Ice Kind ) ...

Jailhouse Jim is likely Right that it's Likely of a Spanish Gun ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived