SASS Wire Forum

When speaking of the grandparents..

When talking to them, mine were Grandma and Grandpa. Both sides. When talking about them, they were Grandma and Grandpa last name.

When my daughter told me she was pregnant, I informed her that I would be Grandpa. Not Gramps, not Pappy, not Papa. Grandpa.

Jimmy Stewart movie. Mr. Hobbs takes a vacation. His oldest daughter and her family come to the beach where he has rented a beach house. When he sees him her littlest boy starts crying. She tells him, "Don't cry. That's Boompa. You love Boompa".

And Jimmy, in a voice of total disbelief, says, "Boompa!!????" She says, "That's what he calls you". And he walks off just shaking his head. "Boomba?"

I decided, upon seeing that scene, that if it ever came to pass that I had grandchildren, I would tell them what to call me. I would not let them make the choice. I might end up with Boompa. my mother told me when I was in high school that if I ever had children they had best not refer to her as Granny.

My in-laws were Pappy and Nang.

We have 12 grandkids and it's always been 'grandma' and 'grandpa'. If the kids are talking and referring to another set, they'll say 'grandpa [last name].

Same with my kids with theirs and us with ours. We've never had the various alternatives.

When I was growing up it was Grandma and Grandpa. Today my grand kids call me PaPa…….and I'm still growing up. :)

Mum Grandpa and Granny were my 3 grandparents. 

When the great grandkids came along they decided Grandpa needed a better name so they called him Poppy.  Now when grandkids are born, the grandparents seem to be choosing their names.  PeePaw, MeeMaw, Pops, PopPop, NaNa, etc.  It would be one thing to be stuck with a name like PeePaw, but I sure as heck aint gunna choose it.  If I do have to choose one I'll tell them to call me Gambler.  Or Grouchy. 

I am Pappy. My wife is Nana to our one and only Grandson. 

My Dad’s Mom was my Nanny. 
My Dad’s Dad was Pap-pap the 4 or 5 times I saw him. That dude was a piece of....work. 

My Mom’s Mom was Grandma. 
I never knew my Mom’s Dad. 

Four grandkids call us Papaw and Mamaw. Two of them call us Grandma and Grandpa. I'm fine with both. Call me anything, just don't call me late for dinner.:P

My grandmother’s were both grandma I never knew either of my grandfathers. To my twin four year old grandsons I’m pops and my wife is granny 

Archived