SASS Wire Forum

When I wore a younger man’s clothes..

3 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

That is fun for sure 

Mostly. :unsure::lol:

13 minutes ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Can't see why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.  My field first was a jumper.  He tried to get a couple of us to try it, but had no takers. 

Nothing’s perfect. ;)

6 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Nothing’s perfect. ;)

Even 68 lbs of parachute.....Being Air Force, not sure which I would go with....But given a choice,  would go with the needed at the time....

Texas Lizard

As a good Marine, I was ordered to jump training. I hated it because of my acrophobia. The joke is I have "push wings". I loved everything else, especially the SCUBA. I have no idea why they sent me to that training. I never used any of it.

There were only seven of us and the Corps wanted us to be completely trained but was never sure what to do with us. They never expanded our MOS. I left for more college, more degrees and an alphabet agency. All of us left fot the government. I next was a founder of an investment banking house and traveled to many crappy countries but never set foot in Europe.

My son, Captain Bill, did several sky dive jumps mostly to piss me off. It worked!  :D

On 5/1/2020 at 8:19 AM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Can't see why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane.  My field first was a jumper.  He tried to get a couple of us to try it, but had no takers. 

Kind of like submariners:  Who in their right mind would want to get on a boat that sinks on purpose?  (Sorry, Cliff.  It just had to be said.)  :D

18 hours ago, Palouse said:

Corcorans and Vibram?  :blink:

Yup. When I was with the 10th in Germany we would take our boots onto Bad Tolz where a cobbler would refit them with nice thick lugged soles. A lot better for the field. We picked it up from the Fallschirmjaeger units

AE2E4B48-7C2C-4DA2-8BE7-10D4E44F4510.jpeg

Ah. I get it. Thought maybe it was an "attention to detail" issue in the otherwise excellent drawing.

German external modification. That didn't fly in some rules handbooks: out of uniform. We heard tell of German internal modifications; high $$$, comfortable, warm, waterproof boots built to look nearly identical to leg boots. Never found a pair.  Should'a called White's to see if they would made some.

On 5/1/2020 at 3:01 PM, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I jumped off the top of my tank a couple of times. That was high enough for me.

Imis

I've heard it said that you can only fall far enough to kill you and can't get any higher than that.

2 hours ago, Palouse said:

Ah. I get it. Thought maybe it was an "attention to detail" issue in the otherwise excellent drawing.

German external modification. That didn't fly in some rules handbooks: out of uniform. We heard tell of German internal modifications; high $$$, comfortable, warm, waterproof boots built to look nearly identical to leg boots. Never found a pair.  Should'a called White's to see if they would made some.

We could get away with stuff that conventional units couldn’t. Some guys wore Bundeswehr jump boots in the field. 

On 5/1/2020 at 11:19 AM, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Can't see why anyone would want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane...

I agree 100% but the ones we had to jump out of when I was a paratrooper all had the letters "USAF" painted on the side of them.  Jumping was a lot safer than staying inside.

Only time I stayed in the airplane (didn't jump cuz my chute deployed accidently in the aircraft) the C-130 caught fire and we made an emergency landing. Would much rather have jumped.

Archived