SASS Wire Forum

What was the key for?

Alpo

German tanks during World War II had what appeared to be a large key on the back.

Was this an actual thing? Or just something painted on the tank?

If it was a real giant key, what was its purpose?

IMG_20200430_234817.jpg

The Leibstandarte division's symbol was a skeleton key, in honor of its first commander, Josef "Sepp" Dietrich (Dietrich is German for skeleton key or lock pick); it was retained and modified to later serve as the symbol for I SS Panzer Corps.

SOURCE

1. SS-Panzer-Division Leibstandarte-SS Adolf Hitler.svg

When I was a kid watching old movies and news reels I always thought the key looked like a sardine can opener and the location it was painted was a good place to start with armor piercing “can opener” rounds. Big armor piercing can opener rounds...:lol:

6 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The Leibstandarte division's symbol was a skeleton key, in honor of its first commander, Josef "Sepp" Dietrich (Dietrich is German for skeleton key or lock pick); it was retained and modified to later serve as the symbol for I SS Panzer Corps.

It must be popular with movie makers. Seems like every German tank I see you in a movie has that key.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I always thought the key looked like a sardine can opener

Yeah, me too.

This is one of those where you wish to have the ability to do multiple reactions.

I wanted to like it, and say thanks, and laugh at it because that just struck me as funny.

But I can only do one. :(

Archived