SASS Wire Forum

New Marlin .357

JP McLintock

The Mrs. Just picked up her new production Marlin 1894cs, in 357.

The fit, finish, and function seem to be very good.

I'll post some pictures after I can get some good photos and a range session.

Had the Marlin to the range tonight, run about 50 rounds through it, a couple failure to eject, but I think the Mrs.  wasn't using enough authority when cycling the action.,

The picture of the target was the first few shot at about 30 yds.

Olg, 3.5 gr Clay's, 125 gr rnfp, 1.440 OAL,  I did notice that some of my dummy rounds that were a bit shorted didn't feed as well, and 357 snap caps fed just fine.

According to the date code it's March 2020 production.

The checkering isn't that crisp, but I think it's laser cut.

IMG_20200501_211250597_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200501_211300076_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200501_211322441.jpg

IMG_20200501_211346429.jpg

IMG_20200501_211327485.jpg

IMG_20200501_194550605.jpg

IMG_20200501_211352193.jpg

IMG_20200501_211403841.jpg

IMG_20200501_211331959.jpg

Some of those early Remlins had stocks that fit so poorly that you could slide a dime between the stock and the receiver.  Hopefully they have the bugs worked out and it will be a good rifle for the Mrs.  

Howdy JP.

Assuming those non-ejection were the results of the Mrs not working the action with enough 'gusto',

it could be due to not having a good lever wrap on it.   Them blame levers are hard on the knuckles to

run with "authority" without the comfort of a lever wrap.    Just a suggestion.

Here's wishing Her (and you) the best with that nice rifle.

..........Widder

Ran into a non cowboy shooter at the range today. He had 1 of these new remlins. Did not get a chance to look at it much. It did run a full magazine of my cowboy loads without a hiccup.

I've only worked on 5 Remlins.  The first couple were from H$ii and a total disaster.   After many hours of

correcting factory boo-boos, they became fine rifles.

The last 3 I checked out and worked on were not so bad.  Actually, the last 2 were reasonably fine from the factory

with nice wood, etc..... and no discernible defects.   They turned out very well for Cowboy competition.

Although I don't work on them now, of the few new Remlins I have seen lately,  I think they are a quality rifle.   BUT, for

competition, some tweaking and spring changes greatly help it.

I think Jabez and Lumpy might still work on them on occasion.  And Warden Callaway might have some insight with them.

I'm pretty sure Boomstick, down in TX, is working on them.

And the Wire is always a good place to get some great 'do it yeowndangself' advice..... ;)

..........Widder

OP, congrats.
My 1894CB is AN, or 2019.03 production.
My fit and finish looks identical to yours... which is very encouraging that Remlin is get over their quality control problems.

I own 2 Marlin 1894's, a new (2018) production .44 spl/mag and a JM marked .45Colt. Between the two the new .44 flat blows the JM marked gun away in fit and finish and is far less prone to the Marlin jam. Guess the JM was made on the Monday they found out about the sale.

A decent lever wrap was a game changer for my mrs. without it she had issues left and right. I did occasionally when trying to see what the problem was for her. Those levers are tough buggers. Now that we put a wrap on she hasnt had an issue with hers and will shoot 50 rounds through it in a trip to the range where before she would put it down after about 20. The only other thing I noticed about her marlin (2018 production) was it doesnt like 125 gr bullets loaded in 38 spl brass. did fine with 125 gr in 357 brass and ok with 158 gr lead in 38 cases. All instances the lead was seated to the crimp grove. I know I could have set the 125 a little long and it would probably fed fine. 

12 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

I noticed about her marlin (2018 production) was it doesnt like 125 gr bullets loaded in 38 spl brass. did fine with 125 gr in 357 brass and ok with 158 gr lead in 38 cases. All instances the lead was seated to the crimp grove. I know I could have set the 125 a little long and it would probably fed fine. 

Did you try a TCFP bullet shape? I've found it's easier to get a good OAL in 38 brass and stay in the crimp groove with a TCFP. I could never get a RNFP seated long enough and still be crimping in the groove.

4 minutes ago, Doc X said:

Did you try a TCFP bullet shape? I've found it's easier to get a good OAL in 38 brass and stay in the crimp groove with a TCFP. I could never get a RNFP seated long enough and still be crimping in the groove.

yep that's all Outlaw bullets carries for 38. I havent ordered any from anywhere else to try anything different. dont think i'll bother. not to difficult to run 357 in the rifle and 38 brass in her pistols. 

47 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

One question I have is why the JM CB models in 44 Magnum seem to so scarce. 

Ever try to find the .32 H&R Cowboy model?   I understand only 600-700 were made and nowadays, 

it will take almost a double stimulus check to buy one.    

I had my hands on a LNIB .32-20 'Cowboy' a couple years back and wish I had kept it.   I think those are kinda rare also.

..........Widder

Howdy All :

Widder is Correct I still do 94s , and yes the newest production models are so much better in Fit, Finish and Function than even those of 3 years ago ...

I have a 2016 Model in .44 spl./.44 mag. and the fitting of the wood on yours is miles above my gun ... My gun would feed .44 mag. rounds with RN bullets most times ... it wouldn't feed anything in .44 spl. cases ... 

It would often try and feed rounds with Nose in the air causing a jam ...

It Will now feed even .44 spl. rounds loaded with SWC bullets with-out a bobble , and tubes filled with mixed rounds of .44 spl. and .44 mag. 

I have not address the fit of the wood yet ,,,, other folks guns need doing first ... About caught up with this work now ...

Jabez Cowboy

I'd have to look at one, in person, to see how it looks, and also work the action, and check out the sights...before I put down my dollars for one.  Before this virus mess, I would look over the Marlingtons/Remlins at the gun shows, and at the gun shops, to see the quality (or lack thereof) of the product.  One would seem to be pretty good, another would not. Go figure! The quality, or lack of, was all over the place. 

Perhaps, as time goes by, (from the song of the same name) the quality will improve.  That is what we all hope.  Until then...I will hang on to my three J.M. Marlins, and keep looking at the used/new old stock ones, wherever I can find one to look over. 

It's like the old saying..."you never get a second chance at a first impression"...hence why so many are wary. 

Hope you have nothing but good fortune, with your new rifle, and from what I seem to see, from the photos, it does look better than the one's I have seen. I hope it functions as well as it looks. 

My Two Bits.

W.K.

8 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Ever try to find the .32 H&R Cowboy model?   I understand only 600-700 were made and nowadays, 

it will take almost a double stimulus check to buy one.    

I had my hands on a LNIB .32-20 'Cowboy' a couple years back and wish I had kept it.   I think those are kinda rare also.

..........Widder

I have seen more Cowboy 32’s up for sale than JM Cowboy 44 mags for sale.

My hunch is many of the JM 44 mag Cowboys are in the hands of the general shooting/hunting public. The 44 mag being probably the best selling lever action pistol caliber. To hunters, in states where deer hunting  is limited with straight wall pistol calibers, the Cowboy is a much cooler/nostalgic looking gun than the umpteen thousands of round barrel ramped hooded sight 1894 and 1892 carbines.  That and the 44 mag being a distant 3-4 place in CAS popularity......Those that have’em keep’um.

I had a chance a a Spur 44 CB once in 44 Mag set up for Specials but in no position to buy it at the time and generally shoot 44-40 any way. Like to find one now and not necessarily have it short stroke but Widderized by someone like Boomstick....may just get one of the umpteen thousand round barreled ramped hooded front sight models that pop up for $4-500 now and then...

To the OP, glad the Marlins are improving 

So far they seem pretty good, I also have one in 45 Colt that is 2016 production, did some minor mods to both of them, reduced power springs, shortened mag spring, lever wraps and took the sharp edge off where the lever hits the carrier.

So far so good

I’m liking those stocks!  None of mine came with checkering (CS and Cowboy Ltd).

I’ve been using BearCreek 158grn RNFP bullets (cause they have no crimp groove).  Makes it easier to reload .38spl that feed perfectly.

6 hours ago, WOLFY said:

I’m liking those stocks!  None of mine came with checkering (CS and Cowboy Ltd).

I’ve been using BearCreek 158grn RNFP bullets (cause they have no crimp groove).  Makes it easier to reload .38spl that feed perfectly.

Use the same for wife's :wub: Marlin CBC and Ruger's.

Lee FCD sets a great crimp in the bullet.

OLG 

I have a Remlin. At my first match I had a few problems with it involving feeding and ejection. Being a new shooter I assumed it was my fault. I was fortunate to be shooting with a cowboy who is strong with the Marlin force. Let's call him Yoda. He took my rifle and worked his Jedi majic and it became a 20 inch lightweight, fast as I can shoot it steel ringing machine. Thank you Yoda. 

On 5/5/2020 at 8:39 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Use the same for wife's :wub: Marlin CBC and Ruger's.

Lee FCD sets a great crimp in the bullet.

OLG 

On the dillon I use a Lee FCD for my .44 loads.  I don’t run a lot of .38spl (so those get single staged with just a 3 die set). if i decide to set the dillon up for .38, i’ll definitely utilize a FCD. 

On 5/5/2020 at 9:20 AM, Mister Badly said:

I have a Remlin. At my first match I had a few problems with it involving feeding and ejection. Being a new shooter I assumed it was my fault. I was fortunate to be shooting with a cowboy who is strong with the Marlin force. Let's call him Yoda. He took my rifle and worked his Jedi majic and it became a 20 inch lightweight, fast as I can shoot it steel ringing machine. Thank you Yoda. 

This is great to hear, Mr Badly.  Marlin 94s can be great CAS rifles.

You may need to smooth out the action of your firearm.  

Then......

I use two Marlin 1894s in .357 mag.  But of course, I only use them with my .38 special reloads.  AND, my Marlins loads that works best for me is with  .38 special brass, *2.8 grs of bullseye, a 147 gr. truncated cone lead bullet loaded to a COAL of 1.50".  You may have to play a little with your COAL to find the "sweet spot" for your particular rifle. 

If you use a 125 gr. RNL bullet, that will likely change your COAL too.

*Use whatever safe load that you like.

Aloha, Mark

Archived