SASS Wire Forum

.45 Cowboy Special Not Feeding Cases

Yul Lose

I’ve been using a Dillon 650 for a number of years to reload, 44-40, .45 Colt, .45 Schofield but trying to reload .45 Cowboy Special is problematic. About every 3-4 cases the bottom case will tip at an angle going into the little yellow collar that it drops down  through the shell plate. Sometimes it will even flip upside down and drop down onto the shell plate. Have any of you experienced a similar problem? If so what did you do to remedy the issue? Thanks for your help.

I use a 550 for mine, and they are problematic on the 550 too.  The case going into station 3 (seating die) likes to get all cattywampus.  If I'm not careful, I crush the case.  It does not happen on the same press with .45 Colt or .45 ACP.  I just have to slow down and physically check the case in station 3 to make sure it is straight.  It happens with both Starline and cut down .45C cases.  

Don’t know what it’s called , the case specific channel from the drop tube to the shell plate the right one?  I have only had the 750 since Xmas .  45 colt, 45acp and 45 spl are the only three I load on it.  I’m a novice Dillon loader at best.  Hope this helps.

13 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Yul, have you removed all up/down play from the shell plate? 

When did you last deep clean this shell plate?

When was the last time the case feeder tube was cleaned? 

OLG 

It isn’t the shell plate it’s happening up on top of the press where the shell drops down out of the tube and then move over to the hole to drop down onto the shell plate. Many times it’s laying on its side, upside down or the next case is on its side. Now I watch each one and when it’s moving over the next case is being drug over at the rim and tipped on its side and then when the pawl comes back it turns upside down. It’s almost like the yellow transition tube that comes off the clear drop tube is not long enough to keep that from happening.

The case feed adapter between the case feed tube and the press should be red. .45 acp. The yellow is for .45 colt and leaves a gap at the bottom of the tube that is large enough to allow the case to slip out of the tube. Hope this helps.

Fox

12E64A78-7AC3-4F96-BF0A-FA864D1667DC.jpeg

56 minutes ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

The case feed adapter between the case feed tube and the press should be red. .45 acp. The yellow is for .45 colt and leaves a gap at the bottom of the tube that is large enough to allow the case to slip out of the tube. Hope this helps.

Fox

12E64A78-7AC3-4F96-BF0A-FA864D1667DC.jpeg

Yep, I think that’s it. Thank you.

16 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What setup does Dillon say should be used with 45 Auto Rim?

No idea. I don’t load it. Just started loading the .45 Cowboy Special.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

> snip <

It’s almost like the yellow transition tube that comes off the clear drop tube is not long enough to keep that from happening.

> snip <

I load 45CS on my 650 and I use the same yellow case feed adapter that I use for loading 45 colt. 

When I do 45CS I rotate the (yellow) case feed adapter 180 degrees.

The little tab on the bottom of the (yellow) adapter does not have to sit in the notch ... when you rotate the adapter the (bottom) tab will be facing in.

Someone posted this tip a long time ago and I stumbled on it when I initially set up the machine to load the 45CS. 

I'll put a picture on here in a min ... 

3 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

I load 45CS on my 650 and I use the same yellow case feed adapter that I use for loading 45 colt. 

The little tab on the bottom of the (yellow) adapter does not have to sit in the notch ... when you rotate the adapter the (bottom) tab will be facing in.

Someone posted this tip a long time ago and I stumbled on it when I initially set up the machine to load the 45CS. 

I’ll be waiting. Thank you.

OK ... this is the normal way for the adapter to be installed ... do it this way for 45 colt ...

45coltyellow.thumb.jpg.7976dbfcecad88de6b1c5e8093d73c70.jpg

AND ... this (below) is the way to orient the adapter when loading 45CS ...

45csyellow.thumb.jpg.ea3e4b0fd6036bf5eb8cb18d6199339d.jpg

Works fine ... lasts a long time ... nothing evil happens because the tab is not in the notch or anything ... -_-

19 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

OK ... this is the normal way for the adapter to be installed ... do it this way for 45 colt ...

45coltyellow.thumb.jpg.7976dbfcecad88de6b1c5e8093d73c70.jpg

AND ... this (below) is the way to orient the adapter when loading 45CS ...

45csyellow.thumb.jpg.ea3e4b0fd6036bf5eb8cb18d6199339d.jpg

Works fine ... lasts a long time ... nothing evil happens because the tab is not in the notch or anything ... -_-

Thank you for taking the time to take the pictures this late. I’ll give it a go first thing tomorrow and report back.

55 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

No idea. I don’t load it. Just started loading the .45 Cowboy Special.

I asked because .45 Cowboy Special. and 45 Auto Rim are almost identical. The case feeder setup for 45 Auto Rim would work .45 Cowboy Special.

try adjusting your timing 

mine did this last year when it would drop the new case before the shell plate was at the top.  

10 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Bingo, that was it. Thank you.

12 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What setup does Dillon say should be used with 45 Auto Rim?

Dave,

Yeah ... auto rim is (as you know) the same w/ a thicker rim and should be the ticket ... but ... Dillon also lists the yellow case feed adapter for auto rim that is used for 45Colt.

As for the "red" 45acp/10mm case feed adapter ... I guess it must be trial and error/chance tolerance or my machine (650) is just different ...

I have one of those adapters ... (comes in the conversion box w/ a purple too for loading 10mm/40cal which I shoot a lot) ... and if I hold it in my hand I can drop 45CS cases through it but when I mount it on the machine w/ the tube etc ... the cases won't fall ... they just hang right at the bottom.

... but ... 

If all these other folks are actually using the red case feed adapter for loading 45CS then I must just have one that is a little too tight ... If I get my hands on another I will give it a try. :mellow: 

57 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Dave,

Yeah ... auto rim is (as you know) the same w/ a thicker rim and should be the ticket ... but ... Dillon also lists the yellow case feed adapter for auto rim that is used for 45Colt.

As for the "red" 45acp/10mm case feed adapter ... I guess it must be trial and error/chance tolerance or my machine (650) is just different ...

I have one of those adapters ... (comes in the conversion box w/ a purple too for loading 10mm/40cal which I shoot a lot) ... and if I hold it in my hand I can drop 45CS cases through it but when I mount it on the machine w/ the tube etc ... the cases won't fall ... they just hang right at the bottom.

... but ... 

If all these other folks are actually using the red case feed adapter for loading 45CS then I must just have one that is a little too tight ... If I get my hands on another I will give it a try. :mellow: 

Did you check for small burr on the part. Either on the inside or outside. I have seen burrs on the outside cause an issue when the part was inserted into another fixture.

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Did you check for small burr on the part. Either on the inside or outside. I have seen burrs on the outside cause an issue when the part was inserted into another fixture.

No ... I think I will just keep using the yellow arm bushing specified by Dillon (for 45Colt/AutoRim) ... It has been working OK. The (specified) yellow case feed adapter (for 45Colt/AutoRim) has been working fine too.  

I have been loading these for a while. 

See, the problem is you guys are all missing the boat... Check to make sure you're actually loading the "COWBOY 45 SPECIAL"... this other thing y'all talkin' about is some kinda other animal!  :o:o :P

Archived