SASS Wire Forum

Was this you?

Alpo

This answer your question?

I come from a cowboy and cowgirl family.

(I'm the one in the middle)

1946 at Rocky Mountain House.jpg

Yep, Birdie and I have much in common!!

:D

My boots were black and red and I earned them by not biting my fingernails for a month!

I have no photos of myself at that time, but J-Bar's is quite close.
I wore my cowboy boots SO much that my 2nd toes are permanently bent into the cockroach killer configuration.

My sister has the only pic of me in cowboy gear on a pony. She keeps forgetting to send it to me.

My cousin Glenn saved Roy Rogers from the bad guys he didn't see sneaking up behind the rock by shooting his BB gun into the TV.  This was in the 50's when not everybody had a TV.  I expect there were consequences.

I remember having a full on Cowboy ensemble when I was little but I do not think there are any pictures of me wearing it. I remember I had a red cowboy hat and I wore that thing until it literally fell apart. 

I would wait all week to draw against Matt Dillon. Then they would send me to bed. ( Without getting to watch the show).

Back in the mid 50's I had a cowboy hat, a six shooter (cap pistol) and a holster and even a stick horse, (remember the plastic little horse head with a yarn mane and a straight little pole for its body). I named my stick horse "Trigger" and I was known back then as "Little Tex" because my Dad's nickname was Tex. No pictures of me as a cowboy then but I'm still a cowboy today.

Y'all was lucky. I never had no boots as a kid. Mama said they cost too much. I would outgrow them too fast.

Got my first pair of boots in 11th grade - I thought my feet had finally stopped growing.

That was the same reason she gave for me not getting a leather jacket.

Ah well.

No boots left from my childhood, but I do still have my Minnetonka baby moccasins my father brought home from his National Guard summer camp in 1959.  I can hardly get my thumb in them now. :P

Minnetonka Mocs.jpg

11 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Y'all was lucky. I never had no boots as a kid. Mama said they cost too much. I would outgrow them too fast.

Got my first pair of boots in 11th grade - I thought my feet had finally stopped growing.

That was the same reason she gave for me not getting a leather jacket.

Ah well.

Alpo, I didn't change in height or weight between my sophomore and senior years, so my mother assumed I was done and bought me several nice suits for high school graduation and college.  I then proceeded to shoot up 3.5 inches as a college freshman.  My father inherited 3 suits since we had been the same size.

Yup, I expect that the Fanner Fifty with Shootin Shells and Greenie Sick em caps was the introduction to reloading for many of us!  

Seamus. 

2 hours ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

Yup, I expect that the Fanner Fifty with Shootin Shells and Greenie Sick em caps was the introduction to reloading for many of us!  

Seamus. 

I don’t remember that on the fanner 50. My recollection is roll caps. But it’s been a long time. My recollection is the shootin shells came out with the Winchester knockoff. I had one of those. 

On one of our trips to Asheville, my parents bought me a Dale Evans outfit: blue suede skirt & vest with white fringe.  Then never let me wear it. To church, to school....

13 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I don’t remember that on the fanner 50. My recollection is roll caps. But it’s been a long time. My recollection is the shootin shells came out with the Winchester knockoff. I had one of those. 

I think that Seamus Mcgillicuddy is rememberizing the two together.  The roll caps were for the fanner 50. There were 50 shots in a roll. The "Shootin Shell" guns had an actual cylinder that you loaded a shell into that had a "Greeny Stickem Cap" placed on the base. Your Rifle used the same shells.

If you look at the box, right at the muzzle of the gun, you will see that it says to use perforated roll caps.

Regular roll caps were just a straight strip, and a flat pusher similar to a cylinder's hand moved them up for each succeeding shot.parris-50-pack-roll-caps-1313982-2.jpg?c

Perforated caps had a hole in the center of the paper, and a star in the guns mechanism was used to move the cap.

Roll-Caps.jpg

I presume that the flat caps could not keep up with the speed you could fan a Fanner 50 at.

You could probably use perforated caps in a regular cap gun, but not regular caps in a perforated gun.

Part of the confusion is that Mattel made two different guns with similar names.

The Fanner 50, which just popped caps, and the Shootin' Shell Fanner.

I never had the shoot n shell fanner, but growing up in the early 80s, I did have the fanner. The only two things I distinctively remember about it were, 1) Mom would bust your butt if she caught you shooting it inside and 2) hitting a roll of caps with a hammer results in an hour of ringing ears afterwards. 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Coroner said:

My twin and I with our Grandmother. We were between 2-3 years old. 

Dad started us early. 

Dutch

0FAB502D-37B3-4090-A353-EBC5D7FE69A4.jpeg

The resemblance is astounding......who's the adult and other kid?

Had a large assortment of cap guns, then graduated to a Shootin' Shell Fanner, the Winchester, and the derringer. Got a couple back some years ago during some fund raising for a cowboy here. Fanner came from Joe LaFives if I remember right. They're still on my loading room wall as of today:blush:

Archived