SASS Wire Forum

Books

Utah Bob #35998

Here’s a goodn one for ya. 

EA28F701-9B7B-4A91-A29C-69B36E20BAE0.jpeg

My wife gave me this for my birthday a couple months back and I'm a few chapters in. It's very well-written, and very detailed. He has three volumes planned, which is a lot on the Revolutionary War for a general audience.

His 3-volume history of WWII in Africa/Europe is great, of course; won many awards.

A couple of weeks before our pandemic became apparent, I was very interested in his discussion of smallpox, the scourge of armies at that time, as it was for the general population. The disease killed 400,000 per year, year in year out, century in and century out, in Europe until the 19th century. Yet with that and innumerable other contagions, they carried on daily life.

His WWII trilogy will give you a much better understanding of exactly how the Allies waged the war from North Africa to Berlin. He is not only a great historian but a great storyteller.

If you like Revolutionary war history, this pairs quite well with the Rick Atkinson book as shown above.

"Paul Revere's Ride" by David Hackett Fischer

Paul Revere's midnight ride looms as an almost mythical event in American history--yet it has been largely ignored by scholars and left to patriotic writers and debunkers. Now one of the foremost American historians offers the first serious look at the events of the night of April 18, 1775--what led up to it, what really happened, and what followed--uncovering a truth far more remarkable than the myths of tradition.

5145ly9oqEL._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Archived