SASS Wire Forum

Who is the soldier?

Alpo

Going around clockwise,

solitaire-the-clintessentials-tim-joyner(2).jpg.11bf7758faed0ae15cce6960f9f20727.jpg

We have the Man With No Name, then Dirty Harry, the soldier, I believe the next one is Rowdy Yates but we didn't get Rawhide when I was a kid so I don't know, then Clyde, then Philo Beddoe. Beddoe's girlfriend Lynn is back behind them bringing beer. William Munny, then Get Off My Lawn, then the Preacher. Philo's friend Orville is behind the bar.

I don't recall him in a war movie, wearing khakis with sergeant stripes and needing a shave.

A Marine is Not a soldier!! Ask one. I dare ya. :lol::lol:

Way in the background could be Lee Van Cleef standing and maybe Tuco at the table.
Maybe. Maybe not.

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Does not look like Marine stripes to me.

Well, it’s a painting.

Given the high and tight haircut, I’m sticking with Gunny  Highway.

839BF3A8-10F6-4497-ACF0-1CC5A0DC399F.jpeg

My Marine Corps: "The little army that talks like the Navy"

Older Marines used all nautical terms: ladder, overhead, bulkhead, hatch, head, deck, squared away, two blocked, port, bollard, captain's mast, brig, galley, mess, bunk, quarters, cold enough to knock the balls off a brass monkey, all aback, two sheets to the wind and many more. 

The "Others" are coasties, airdales, swabbies and doggies.

57 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Way in the background could be Lee Van Cleef standing and maybe Tuco at the table.
Maybe. Maybe not.

I think you are correct. Angel Eyes and Tuco. Good catch.

The waitress? Sondra Locke of course.

I enjoyed "Heart Break Ridge" Marines get deployed to the wierdest, tiniest back water places to fight wars , battles, riots and extricating US Citizens from danger. A good example is the movie "The Wind and the Lion".

Geoffrey Lewis is the bartender.

34 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

I like all of the various "stuff" behind the bar from his movies, the ax handle from Pale Rider, a noose from hang em high, an astronaut helmet from Space Cowboys, etc.

You reckon that ice axe is from Where Eagles Dare, or The Eiger Sanction?

IMG_20200430_162312.jpg

22 minutes ago, doc roy l. pain said:

So where is Josey Wales:ph34r:

I think 'Pale Rider' is looking back at him and thinking........... "Oh Crap, here comes hell for breakfast".

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Yes Lt Kelly, Army.

The movie was mainly filmed in Yugoslavia because the Yugoslavian army still had a large quantity of Sherman tanks in 1970.

He was not a Lt. He was a persuasive slick sleeve Private. 35th INF (Santa Fe) Div. That’s a pretty good storyline as the 35th actually was fighting in the area of the town of Nancy in 1944.

Oddball and his guys were 6th Armored Div.

Burgundy boxing gloves from "Million Dollar Baby"

And the "right turn Clyde" sign representing the famous command from "Every Which Way But Loose" - do you think there's a bottle of Ten High on the shelf?

14 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

He was not a Lt. He was a persuasive slick sleeve Private. 35th INF (Santa Fe) Div

that’s what I thought. But I read this in IMDb 

During World War II, German Colonel Dankhopf (David Hurst) is captured by the Americans, but before he can be interrogated, an artillery barrage hits the camp. However, Lieutenant Kelly (Clint Eastwood) manages to reach the Colonel, get him drunk, and learn that he is on a secret mission to ship sixteen million dollars of gold to a base in France. Kelly is determined to get the gold, and plans for himself and a few of his fellow soldiers to slip into enemy territory and steal the bullion.

16 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

4 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

that’s what I thought. But I read this in IMDb 

During World War II, German Colonel Dankhopf (David Hurst) is captured by the Americans, but before he can be interrogated, an artillery barrage hits the camp. However, Lieutenant Kelly (Clint Eastwood) manages to reach the Colonel, get him drunk, and learn that he is on a secret mission to ship sixteen million dollars of gold to a base in France. Kelly is determined to get the gold, and plans for himself and a few of his fellow soldiers to slip into enemy territory and steal the bullion.

Kelly is identified as a Pvt in the cast info. He does wear an officer’s shirt but with no insignia. He wouldn’t have had to convince the troops if he was an officer just tell em to move out. Back in the day, I met a few “persuasive” fellas like him that were blessed with a silver tongue.

:lol:

13 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Which one of them would try to bluff?

:ph34r:

Clyde

14 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Kelly is identified as a Pvt in the cast info. He does wear an officer’s shirt but with no insignia. He wouldn’t have had to convince the troops if he was an officer just tell em to move out. Back in the day, I met a few “persuasive” fellas like him that were blessed with a silver tongue.

:lol:

I did too. The second time he impersonated an officer, I knew he was not someone to be trusted. I don’t know if he ever got caught, he was armor, I was Artillery.

Said by SSgt Crapgame during the movie.

Oh, him? Name's Kelly. Used to be a lieutenant. Pretty good one, too. Till they gave orders to attack the wrong hill. Wiped out half a company of GI's. Somebody had to take the blame and he got picked.

There's the cross cut in the wooden shutter on the left from the cabin from "The Outlaw Josey Wales".

Space Cowboys helmet on top of the liquor cabinet.

Under the ice axe, a picture of Two Mules. 

Picture of an aircraft behind the bar below the Right Turn sign and "Make My Day" sign is the Firefox.

The door behind Lt Calahan has the cross shooting port from the Outlaw Josey Wales.

Beside the noose is a bucket of red paint. High Plains Drifter

The poster above Clyde's head is from Bronco Billy.

Vent above the bar is the same design as Escape from Alcatraz.

Oly Beer sign pays homage to the fact that in many of his movies he is drinking Olympia Beer.

Good ones, Dave!

Is that poster on the far back wall something from Bronco Billy?

3 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Good ones, Dave!

Is that poster on the far back wall something from Bronco Billy?

Pretty sure it is this poster.

Amazon.com: Bronco Billy: Clint Eastwood, Sondra Locke, Geoffrey Lewis, Scatman Crothers: Amazon ...

Archived