SASS Wire Forum

Looking for a pair of 1851 R/M Conversions

Rube Burrows

I have recently been thinking about picking up a pair of 1851 Richard Mason Conversion pistols. 

Anyone have a pair they would let go? 

2 minutes ago, Captain Clark said:

They gotta be 51’s? Any particular caliber?

Was looking for 1851s with the loading gate. I have only seen those in .38. 

I may consider a similar pair of conversions though. 

The RM style guns are fun and unique. My current ones are Richard Mason Army’s in 45 Schofield! I guess I’m no help on what your looking for, but enjoy the hunt!:)

7 hours ago, Captain Clark said:

The RM style guns are fun and unique. My current ones are Richard Mason Army’s in 45 Schofield! I guess I’m no help on what your looking for, but enjoy the hunt!:)

I did not know you could get the RM Conversions in the larger calibers. 

.45 Colt is what I normally shoot but thought they only came in .38 since that is all Cimarron shows on their site. Hmmmmm

Last I had seen cimarron has the 1860 RM conversions in large cal but the 51's are only available in 38 spl. However if you're completely sold on a 51 you could always use a navy grip frame and barrel assembly from a 44 cal cap gun to make it how you want it. The wife loves her man with no name conversions in 38 spl. To be honest i've enjoyed them too. 

2 hours ago, Rube Burrows said:

I did not know you could get the RM Conversions in the larger calibers. 

.45 Colt is what I normally shoot but thought they only came in .38 since that is all Cimarron shows on their site. Hmmmmm

I’m not sure what is currently being stocked, mine are a few years old. They run well with smokeless Schofield and 45 Cowboy FC loads. They do have the typical tiny front sight, which doesn’t really matter as the guns are natural pointers. They are worth a few “style points”  ;)

1 hour ago, Captain Clark said:

I’m not sure what is currently being stocked, mine are a few years old. They run well with smokeless Schofield and 45 Cowboy FC loads. They do have the typical tiny front sight, which doesn’t really matter as the guns are natural pointers. They are worth a few “style points”  ;)

Any photos? 

3 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Last I had seen cimarron has the 1860 RM conversions in large cal but the 51's are only available in 38 spl...

That is correct.  The octagonal barreled '51 R-M is .38 only.  Navy grip only.  4 3/4", 5 1/2", 7 1/2" barrels.

Both the 1860 R-M and 1860 Type II conversions are available in .38, .44, .45.  Those have round barrels and Army grips.  5 1/2", 8" barrels

The '71/72 Opentops come in .38, .44, .45, with Army or Navy grips.  4 3/4", 5 1/2", 7 1/2" barrels.  Unless there has been a change, the Opentops are available with Navy grips in all barrel lengths, and Army grips available only on the 7 1/2" barrel.

6 hours ago, Sgt Duncan said:

Rooster Ron Wayne has a beautiful pair of 1871-72 Open Tops in 44 Special for sale on this page. A fair price at that.

I have looked at those several times. I am just not sure I want to set up for a complete new cartridge. 

I have a pair of 1872 open tops that are in .38 that have a great actions job on and are nearly new in box as they use to be a back up pair that have had very little use just sitting in the safe taking up space that I would be willing to part with if they would work for anyone

Archived