SASS Wire Forum

Beaver Creek Kid, keep him in your thoughts and prayers

Dusty Sometimes

Beaver Creek Kid is a new, young, 15 year old shooter in our club that, prior to this pandemic, followed me to every monthly match he could, borrowing my guns, ammo and my spare holsters hanging on his belt on his bluejeans. He refused to go home each time until he helped clean guns and reloaded his 100 rds for the next match.

His father, my neighbor and friend, who was starting to shop for a set of pistols for him, passed away Monday from an early and surprise heart attack. He's devastated. Today he said, I just want to get back to the range and go cowboy shooting. 

The members at our club, the Bayou Bounty Hunters, have been impressed and amazed at the BCK. He always says Yes Sir, No Sir, he always "listens" to their guidance and is mature and safe around my loaned firearms while at the range, a testament to his father and my friend.  

When I announced his father's passing to the club and his desire to get back on the range, don't you know that within hours, there were offers to give him a set of pistols, 200 rds ammo, and a Marlin!  I have an SKB SxS that he loves to use along with my holsters, and his dad just bought him a cowboy hat. I called SASS this morning to get him his membership and badge and of course the ladies at SASS said they'd expedite his package and would include some souvenirs.

Wow, class act all around. He doesn't know it yet, and I'll wait until after the funeral this weekend, which is for family only, but in two weeks I'll give him a big box with his own set of pistols, ammo, SASS membership packet and badge and a Marlin. It won't replace his father, my friend and neighbor, but maybe it'll soothe the young man. All he's really lacking is a youth shotgun belt for a teenager, since we only have a slide on his pants belt. If anyone has a spare laying around, I'll buy it. 

Please say a prayer for Beaver Creek Kid.  I wanted to post this to highlight the amazing group of supportive people we have in the SASS family!  Class acts, all around. 

Dusty Sometimes 

That IS nice and graceful at this time in his life.

One word of caution:  Being 15 years old restricts 'giving' him those firearms...especially the pistols.

Make sure an adult is around for their keeping.    Regardless of the circumstances, you don't want

anything to go wrong and those pistols get confiscated.

If the Marlin needs work, Slick McClade is down in your back yard and can help if needed.

..........Widder

Thanks Widder, we're all so in shock still, I didn't think about that. I'll make sure they're "given" to his mother who has graciously approved since I'll keep all ammo at my house. 

Thanks again! 

Dusty

That is a sad & wonderful story at the same time..condolences to family & friends & big 'congrats to all those Cowboys  / gals that are giving BCK a lift up.

Dusty,

This is a prime example of why I joined the SASS family.Their generosity and thoughtfulness never ceases to amaze me . I'm  proud to be associated with such a fine bunch of people .

Condolences and best hopes for the Beaver Creek Kid.Sounds like he has a great friend  and mentor in you.

Choctaw Jack 

Wow!  That hits close to home and I can relate.  I was 14 when my dad died from cancer.  A year and a half later,  my mom died in a house fire.  Somehow I evaded the grip of the social workers, and my sister and I were taken in by some great neighbors, like yourself.  I can honestly respect what you are doing to help BCK to get his feet under himself.  Keep it up if you can.  He seriously needs a mentor right now.  It means much more to him than you might know.  It's been 54 years since my loss, and I still remember every helpful thing done for me by those great people.   Thank you for spending the effort.   Whether you knew it or not, you're making a life-long friend.   

Very best of luck to you, to BCK and his mother.  Please help them all you can.  PM me if there's anything at all that I can do.  

DDD

Widder, the donated pistols are .45LC and another member donated 200 rds and I reload those for my Schofields, so we're good there, thanks so much for the offer. Hoping someone has an old shotgun belt laying around that'll fit a teenager. 

Dusty Devil Dale, thank you for your sincere reply. 

DS

What a great bunch of cowboys we all have in this SASS family. Thoughts & prayers  for mother & Son. 

JRJ

Dusty,

If the Kid needs more bullets, holler back at me.

I will make arrangements with Scarlett Darlin for a shipment to you.

Whether its Cowboy shooting, riding a skate board, or playing pingpong,  this is a crucial time for that young feller

to have some support.   It is a blessing that WE have an opportunity to play a POSITIVE roll at this time, much more

so than other influences could effect his life in a negative way.

Your club has a great opportunity to do it right.......so give it your best shot (no pun intended).

..........Widder

With blurred vision, I'm sending up Prayers for Beaver Creek Kid. Good job Pard for helping him out in this awful time of need.

Sending out Prayers for everyone involved.

If there is a local leather maker I'll chip in $25 to have a shotgun belt made for him; just PM me where to send it.

7 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Sending out Prayers for everyone involved.

If there is a local leather maker I'll chip in $25 to have a shotgun belt made for him; just PM me where to send it.

X2, Just send PM with info. Lost my Dad at 12 years old.

I'll donate $100 towards either a gun safe or a shotgun belt.  I challenge others on here to make a doantion to help this kid out, and let him know he has a huge family,  while we cant repalce his father, we care about him.  

Dusty,

Send a PM, here or FB, and let me know what size the kid wears.  I may have something at the house.

I think it's great everyone is offering up money to buy cowboy gear, but after losing my father at 13 I'm more concerned with his family's ability to maintain the standard of living they're accustomed to.

Having someone like Dusty to maintain a positive role model will go a long way.  Good on ya partner.

Let me or Angie know if we can provide anything.

See ya when I come home.

Guys, 

Thank you so much!  The only item he lacks is a shotgun belt and in 2 weeks he'll have everything he needs to continue with these donated items that I'll present to him on YOUR behalf. His dad's funeral in this weekend and later next week I'll give him and his mother a big box of CAS gear like the pistols, SASS membership and badge and a new shotgun belt so he won't have to put a slide on his bluejeans belt. Based on your generosity, I'll order him one today and keep y'all updated. This kid loves CAS and is in CAS to stay, which is now solidify based on your prayers, support and help. I told his mother and asked permission, and she texted me back saying I'm in tears but yes, yes, please tell your cowboys thank you. Again I'll keep all the bullets at my home for safety as the family had a safe for deer guns. 

Dusty Sometimes 

You mention a shotgun belt, but what about a gunbelt?If he still needs one I can make and ship one in a day, once I know his size.

Thank you so much Doc X and Springfield Slim, he absolutely could use that. Sending PMs shortly. 

Sincerely appreciated

Dusty Sometimes 

Does BCK have any siblings?  And if so do you have thoughts what their immediate needs might be  (ones we could help with)?

He might have been just a kid a week ago, but he's suddenly a man, and he may feel overwhelmed by responsibility right now, depending on his home situation.  Please help however you can and don't be shy asking backup support here.  

Thanks guys, excellent points!  The only thing he lacked was a shotgun belt and gun belt, and we now have that covered. With the money coming in no longer needed for a shotgun belt, I'll buy him a case of shotgun shells to alleviate that cost from his Mom.

He has a twin brother who is not an outdoorsman like BCK, who is into Karate and Gymnastics and he has a mentor who is looking out for him.  I'll reload all his ammo and our club will waive any monthly fees. 

When I present him with all of these items and tell him of your support and prayers, I'll post a photo and update y'all in 7-14 days. 

Dusty Sometimes 

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, as you can see from the attached video, yesterday the Beaver Creek Kid returned to shooting with us at the Bayou Bounty Hunters of Louisiana, and he was sporting ALL the gear that you guys so graciously provided him following the passing of his father last month! I thank you, as does he and his mother.

The gifts are almost too many to name but to name a few of what y'all provided, he had his new gun belt, shotgun belt, set of 45LC pistols, a vest  (perfect for banquets), 250 rds ammo + 300 empty brass, bandana, his SASS membership from me and a SASS Hat from Misty and Ruby and with the cash collected from y'all I got him a year supply of shotgun shells, all to alleviate his Mom from any expenses right now. 

On behalf of the family and the Bayou Bounty Hunters of LA, thank y'all for the help. The BCK had a blast yesterday using all his new gear. 

Dusty Sometimes 

Archived