SASS Wire Forum

Firing a Primer-Only Cartridge

bgavin

Simply a primed case?

No problem at all. I had several primed cases and they got mixed up, and I wasn't sure which were primed with small pistol and which were primed with small pistol Magnum. I thought about depriming them, but was not sure how to dispose of them safely.

Loaded them in a 357 and just pulled the trigger bap bap bap bap bap bap. Dump and repeat.

Technically it’s not a cartridge without a bullet. Only an empty case with a primer.

But no, there’s no danger. Cap and ball shooters do it routinely before loading at the start of the day. Just don’t point it anywhere but away from you or anyone else. 

You may find the primers backing out of the case because there’s no recoil to reseat them. 

I do it whenever I change hammer springs to make sure the primers ignite consistently.  Primer residue is noticeable in the bore so I swab the barrel before going to a match.  The primer will probably not reseat into the primer pocket so it will probably drag when you try to cock the hammer.  Only load one at a time.

21 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I do it whenever I change hammer springs to make sure the primers ignite consistently.  Primer residue is noticeable in the bore so I swab the barrel before going to a match.  The primer will probably not reseat into the primer pocket so it will probably drag when you try to cock the hammer.  Only load one at a time.

This X2:excl:

OLG 

3 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

You may be surprised at how dirty just a primer is.

And how loud       GW

13 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

You may be surprised at how dirty just a primer is.

Ditto ^^^^

6 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

And how loud       GW

Ear ringing double ditto ^^^^

If you're loading them for CAS, just load 'em up. You  likely won't be able to tell the difference and won't waste a bunch of primers. JMHO

If you're looking for something to do, I just added one of these to my collection. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022505576?pid=749306

image.png.b4127dc43fcbbe41f7053cebbef102bd.png

Don't know how they can sell them so cheap, but it is a nice air rifle, with a decent scope that is fun to play with in the backyard. :)

Where'd you find that?

1 minute ago, Noz said:

Where'd you find that?

He's got the link in his OP, $75

Primers WILL back out.......BUT, you can eliminate the back out problem by drilling out the flash hole to about 1/2 the diameter of the

primer pocket itself.

In other words, open up the flash hole, but leave some of the primer pocket to seat the primer correctl

CAUTION:  keep those pieces of brass separate from other brass and ONLY use for Primer Only OR, with a wax bullet.

I frequently will use a wax bullet in my 'Primer Only Brass' and get some impressive results.

DO NOT shoot an animal, family member or friend with a wax bullet.   You may end up with a ball bat upside your skull..... :o

..........Widder

I once disposed of some really old military ammo by pulling the bullets, dumping the powder and firing off all the primers. Some of them wouldn't even go off. I also cleaned the gun really well afterwards because I had no idea if the primers were corrosive or not.

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Use a rifle (if possible) instead of a revolver, one at a time. Makes the primer back out a non problem.

LR primers are 'taller' than LP.  ;)

SP & SR are dimensionally identical. 

OLG 

I had hand primed around 200 38s (this was pre- lock n load ap days) and then my darling wife, trying to help out, put them back in the media tumbler. I didn't want to risk having a contaminated primer not detonating, so I loaded them into one of my vaqueros and went about popping the primers. The only drawback I had was making sure the cases stayed in the cylinder and didn't back out from the recoil of the primer going off. On a side note, it was all for not as every single dang one of those tumbled primers went bang! 

Archived