SASS Wire Forum

gas checks

Fordyce Beals

The handbook for Long range competition reads:

Regardless of category or caliber, bullets used in long range and precision rifle matches must be made of pure lead or lead alloy having a plain base, gas checked, or paper patched configuration.

A simple BAMM rules set:

These are the official Rules for the Bolt Action Military Match  "BAMM"

"Must be an original caliber bolt action rifle issued by any country to its
Military Forces through the end of WWII.  It must be as issue with original
iron battle sights and no external modifications.  Internal modifications allowed.
Faitful reproductions are allowed"

Distances are usually from 75 to 125 yards.  Targets and Target placement is decided by the Match Director.  Most of the time we all shoot lead bullets.  Match director can allow jacketed bullets if in compliance with range rules.  The match is standard with at least 10 rounds.  You start with 5 rounds in the magazine bolt open an a empty chamber. You reload on the clock as needed.  You can shoot up to 15 rounds.  It is scored with the most hits in the fastest time. 

I have a Colombian crest FN Mauser 98 in 30/06 to try in BAMM and need to reload some cartridges.  

Question : Is it an advantage to use a gas checked bullet in SASS long range? Can it be surmised to use a gas check in BAMM ? Are stripper clips allowed in BAMM?

Fordyce

In most all BAMM competition stripper clips are used.  Gas checks are up to the shooter, I use them even though at the velocity that I usually shoot they are not really necessary.  Any match can have some variations at the directors discression.

Blackfoot

Blackfoot and Dusty - thanks for the reply

How about using gas checks in 45/70 for long range?

Foordyce

33 minutes ago, Fordyce Beals said:

Blackfoot and Dusty - thanks for the reply

Foordyce

Usually not required for the loads we use. You can use a GC if you wish.

4 hours ago, Fordyce Beals said:

IMO, that will depend largely on your specific combination of bullet, alloy, rifling and velocity.  I know that ain't very illuminating, but the 2 facts in hand, (45-70 and long range), don't allow for anything except a SWAG, (silly wild-azzed guess).

A gas checked bullet does not obturate like a plain based lead bullet does. Sizing becomes more critical when using a gas checked bullet in a 45-70. 

I haven't shot BAMM much, but I think it should be required to either use strippers or shove 'em in by hand through the action for reloads. From what I've read, the manual of arms for many, if not all, of these old battle rifles stated chargers were to be used, and the magazine wasn't to be removed/replaced except for cleaning, damage, or salvage.

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

A gas checked bullet does not obturate like a plain based lead bullet does. Sizing becomes more critical when using a gas checked bullet in a 45-70. 

That's great data to know,  exactly what I was looking for.  And Griff: a  SWAG, (silly wild-azzed guess).  is helpful too.

Fordyce

1 hour ago, Fordyce Beals said:

That's great data to know,  exactly what I was looking for.  And Griff: a  SWAG, (silly wild-azzed guess).  is helpful too.

Fordyce

As a general rule, with plain based bullets, kept to under ~1450 fps, a bullet with a mix lke Lyman #2 or harder shouldn't lead the bore... but, depends a LOT on bore condition.  If the base is made for gas-checks, use 'em!  Refer back to Snakebite's comment.

Please note the official BAMM rules 2020:

BOLT ACTION MILITARY MATCH
The rifle must be an original caliber bolt-action rifle issued by any country to its
military forces through the end of WWII.  It must be as issued with original iron
battle sights and NO external modifications.  Internal modifications are allowed.
Faithful reproductions are allowed.  Unless an exception is listed for a specific match,
ALL BAMM bullets must be of pure lead or lead alloy.  Gas checks are allowed but
NOT jacketed bullets.

A lot of discretion is left up to the Match Director.  A lot of what you read on the wire are ideas or suggestions from Match Directors.  Some choose to all reloads off the clock while others use stripper clips on the clock like most rifles were designed to be used.

Legendary Lawman

Wild Bunch ROC

Archived