Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DocWard

Gunsmoke

Recommended Posts

I usually enjoy Gunsmoke when I sit down and watch it, but I can't call myself the biggest of fans. This had me chuckling a bit though. I never realized how good the writing was on the show.
 

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol 

Screenshot_20191219-064929_Photos.thumb.jpg.f046d355e1103309db8fbd5de186a949.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, That was awesome! I watch Gunsmoke almost every night! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Rye said.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad others got some enjoyment out of it as well.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, what Rye said.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love Gunsmoke. Not a big fan of Chester, but good mostly.

JHC

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good stuff! Thanks Doc!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, me too.  Gunsmoke was always my favorite Western series, and I usually can catch an episode every day.

 

Cat Brules

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Matt Dillon was right up there with John Wayne. You were generally best off not to fist or gun fight him.

JHC

Edited by Capt. James H. Callahan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

When I was a kid,  Gunsmoke was must watch TV.  Watched all the reruns.  But the last years of the show really turned into a soap opera.  James Arness was not seen much. I've avoided watching the series on YouTube even though the first years would still be pretty good. 

 

Here is a link to Gun The Man Down that stars James Arness that you can see the Gunsmoke prototype. 

 

https://youtu.be/8f8QdhkucfA

 

 

Edited by Warden Callaway
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

When I was a kid,  Gunsmoke was must watch TV.  Watched all the reruns.  But the last years of the show really turned into a soap opera.  James Arness was not seen much. I've avoided watching the series on YouTube even though the first years would still be pretty good.  

Back when I was real big into SASS functions, talked to lots of pards from Kalifornia that knew a lot of actors and such. One told me once that James Arness was a big surfer and had his own sea plane. When the show hit it's peak, sometimes he's say bag it and fly off to some lonely beach and go surfing. That was the episodes where "Festus, I gotta go up to Hayes for a prisoner. Be back in a week" Pure SASS scuttlebutt, but that's what I heard FWIW.

JHC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another aside, it seems that James Arness was also a fast draw artist back in the day.

JHC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Occasionally Matt liked to have do a little fancy gun work.

 

Very obvious here

 

This one you have to watch close.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Another aside, it seems that James Arness was also a fast draw artist back in the day.

JHC

 

Here is a clip showing just how fast he was.  I watched it several times looking at the background and I cannot see any camera manipulation. It did startle Matt's horse though.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Back when I was real big into SASS functions, talked to lots of pards from Kalifornia that knew a lot of actors and such. One told me once that James Arness was a big surfer and had his own sea plane. When the show hit it's peak, sometimes he's say bag it and fly off to some lonely beach and go surfing. That was the episodes where "Festus, I gotta go up to Hayes for a prisoner. Be back in a week" Pure SASS scuttlebutt, but that's what I heard FWIW.

JHC

 

I had a hard time believing the surfing part because I knew he had a bad leg from WWII. But looks like there was definitely something to it. The article mentions both his surfing, and getting his pilot's license:

https://www.ocregister.com/2011/06/12/gunsmoke-star-never-met-a-wave-he-didnt-like/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one BIG question remains......uh....Him and Kitty ??? I'll leave it there!:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

 

Here is a clip showing just how fast he was.  I watched it several times looking at the background and I cannot see any camera manipulation. It did startle Matt's horse though.

 

 

Pretty sure I remember stuff about him shooting fast draw competition WAAAAY back when. Wonder if he could out draw Quick Cal?

JHC

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The one BIG question remains......uh....Him and Kitty ??? I'll leave it there!:lol:

Miss Kitty was a stone fox. If I was Matt Dillon I know what I'd have done!

JHC;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Festus was no slouch at slapping leather.

Did you ever hear him sing? He once sang with the Sons of the Pioneers. Blow your mind. Kinda like Gomer Pyle.

JHC

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Did you ever hear him sing? He once sang with the Sons of the Pioneers. Blow your mind. Kinda like Gomer Pyle.

JHC

 

He relaced Frank Sinatra in the Tommy Dorsey band. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Warden Callaway said:

 

He relaced Frank Sinatra in the Tommy Dorsey band. 

Wow. Learn something new everyday.

JHC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the early 1/2 hour shows, watch out for episodes directed and/or written by Sam Pekinpaw (sp?) or Ida Lupino.  They both made some powerful stuff though completely different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DocWard said:

 

I had a hard time believing the surfing part because I knew he had a bad leg from WWII. But looks like there was definitely something to it. The article mentions both his surfing, and getting his pilot's license:

https://www.ocregister.com/2011/06/12/gunsmoke-star-never-met-a-wave-he-didnt-like/

Good read. Thanks Doc. That's crazy ain't it? Can't wrap my mind around Matt Dillon on a surf board. :lol:

JHC

Edited by Capt. James H. Callahan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rooster Ron Wayne said:

Lol 

Screenshot_20191219-064929_Photos.thumb.jpg.f046d355e1103309db8fbd5de186a949.jpg

When I joined SASS long ago in a galaxy far away, I really wanted to be Festus. Of course that alias was long gone.

JHC

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2020 at 8:35 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

 

Here is a clip showing just how fast he was.  I watched it several times looking at the background and I cannot see any camera manipulation. It did startle Matt's horse though.

 

 

 

And remember that he was using a 7 1/2 inch barreled gun, not a 4 5/8 inch one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gunsmoke was a tradition in our family.  I can remember being at my grandparents' house and my granddad, dad, his brothers and I all watching Gunsmoke together.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched with my Dad.  Nuff said.  And I liked Chester.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.