SASS Wire Forum

Gunsmoke

DocWard

I usually enjoy Gunsmoke when I sit down and watch it, but I can't call myself the biggest of fans. This had me chuckling a bit though. I never realized how good the writing was on the show.

Lol 

Screenshot_20191219-064929_Photos.thumb.jpg.f046d355e1103309db8fbd5de186a949.jpg

Thanks, That was awesome! I watch Gunsmoke almost every night! 

Yep, what Rye said.

Yeah, me too.  Gunsmoke was always my favorite Western series, and I usually can catch an episode every day.

Cat Brules

When I was a kid,  Gunsmoke was must watch TV.  Watched all the reruns.  But the last years of the show really turned into a soap opera.  James Arness was not seen much. I've avoided watching the series on YouTube even though the first years would still be pretty good. 

Here is a link to Gun The Man Down that stars James Arness that you can see the Gunsmoke prototype. 

https://youtu.be/8f8QdhkucfA

2 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

When I was a kid,  Gunsmoke was must watch TV.  Watched all the reruns.  But the last years of the show really turned into a soap opera.  James Arness was not seen much. I've avoided watching the series on YouTube even though the first years would still be pretty good.  

Back when I was real big into SASS functions, talked to lots of pards from Kalifornia that knew a lot of actors and such. One told me once that James Arness was a big surfer and had his own sea plane. When the show hit it's peak, sometimes he's say bag it and fly off to some lonely beach and go surfing. That was the episodes where "Festus, I gotta go up to Hayes for a prisoner. Be back in a week" Pure SASS scuttlebutt, but that's what I heard FWIW.

JHC

6 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Another aside, it seems that James Arness was also a fast draw artist back in the day.

JHC

Here is a clip showing just how fast he was.  I watched it several times looking at the background and I cannot see any camera manipulation. It did startle Matt's horse though.

7 hours ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Back when I was real big into SASS functions, talked to lots of pards from Kalifornia that knew a lot of actors and such. One told me once that James Arness was a big surfer and had his own sea plane. When the show hit it's peak, sometimes he's say bag it and fly off to some lonely beach and go surfing. That was the episodes where "Festus, I gotta go up to Hayes for a prisoner. Be back in a week" Pure SASS scuttlebutt, but that's what I heard FWIW.

JHC

I had a hard time believing the surfing part because I knew he had a bad leg from WWII. But looks like there was definitely something to it. The article mentions both his surfing, and getting his pilot's license:

https://www.ocregister.com/2011/06/12/gunsmoke-star-never-met-a-wave-he-didnt-like/

The one BIG question remains......uh....Him and Kitty ??? I'll leave it there!:lol:

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Here is a clip showing just how fast he was.  I watched it several times looking at the background and I cannot see any camera manipulation. It did startle Matt's horse though.

Pretty sure I remember stuff about him shooting fast draw competition WAAAAY back when. Wonder if he could out draw Quick Cal?

JHC

57 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

The one BIG question remains......uh....Him and Kitty ??? I'll leave it there!:lol:

Miss Kitty was a stone fox. If I was Matt Dillon I know what I'd have done!

JHC;)

2 minutes ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

Festus was no slouch at slapping leather.

Did you ever hear him sing? He once sang with the Sons of the Pioneers. Blow your mind. Kinda like Gomer Pyle.

JHC

In the early 1/2 hour shows, watch out for episodes directed and/or written by Sam Pekinpaw (sp?) or Ida Lupino.  They both made some powerful stuff though completely different.

2 hours ago, DocWard said:

I had a hard time believing the surfing part because I knew he had a bad leg from WWII. But looks like there was definitely something to it. The article mentions both his surfing, and getting his pilot's license:

https://www.ocregister.com/2011/06/12/gunsmoke-star-never-met-a-wave-he-didnt-like/

Good read. Thanks Doc. That's crazy ain't it? Can't wrap my mind around Matt Dillon on a surf board. :lol:

JHC

On 4/30/2020 at 8:35 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

And remember that he was using a 7 1/2 inch barreled gun, not a 4 5/8 inch one.

Archived