SASS Wire Forum

Trying to decide if the author is wrong or not

Alpo

Whenever I see that picture of Zardoz, I always think of Medicine Man.

medicine-man-1992-03-g.jpg

In the review in our local paper, it said, "Sean Connery, sporting a manly gray ponytail...".

When I read that I heard it in the voice of the guy from the Irish Spring commercial. "A manly scent".

7 hours ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Read one a while back... the bad guy had pulled out his Glock and clicked off the safety.... :blink:  

In most books I try to ignore most of the gun flubs... You would think that these types of errors would be caught at some point, if not be the author then by the editor.  Same thing in movies and on TV

Saw a knife flub last night that irritated me enough to change the channel...  on that WW2 Gold show on History channel, they found a knife in one of the caves.  It was obviously an airforce survival knife (that didn't exist until the late 50's), but one of the guys was convinced that it was a marine's knife from WW2... he even got all emotional about it.  

I saw that on the preview. An obvious postwar, saw back Jet Pilot’s Knife. Lots of crap on that show!

5 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Now I will have to spend the rest of the summer trying to forget that picture. 

D14E09E5-F18D-4150-AACD-9CD26AF1C205.jpeg

I remember about 10 or so years ago I read a series of books about a guy who had been a sniper, I think his name was Bob. Anyway i thought the author had his facts down pretty well until they had the bad guy as a cowboy shooter. Well, I realized he probably was not as good as I thought when he very specifically said he loaded the mag tube in his 92 with the lever open because that was the only way it could be loaded.

kR

9 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Utah Bob, go to the corner and sit on the stool facing the wall.  Bad boy!  Bad boy!!

I knew a romance writer many years ago. We were members of the same writers group. Since I liked guns, she read a few lines from a novel she was working on that was set in the 1600s. The heroine in the novel was being chased by a vampire so as she ran she whipped out her revolver and started plinking away. When the revolver was empty, she swung the cylinder out and loaded more cartridges in it and started firing. I explained to her that that wasn't a thing back in the 1600s. It kind of messed up her ending.

Another romance writer in the same group had her heroine fending off a grizzly bear as she stood guard over her motionless hunk of a man lover. This was taking place in eastern Pennsylvania in the early 1700s. I explained to her grizzlies were a western/Rockies bear, not found in the East. And if one did happen to wander 2000 miles off course it would have most likely made short work of the heroine and her lover. I referred her to the Journals of Louis and Clark to see how their first grizzly encounters ended.

15 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I remember about 10 or so years ago I read a series of books about a guy who had been a sniper, I think his name was Bob. Anyway i thought the author had his facts down pretty well until they had the bad guy as a cowboy shooter. Well, I realized he probably was not as good as I thought when he very specifically said he loaded the mag tube in his 92 with the lever open because that was the only way it could be loaded.

kR

I don't suppose you recall the name of that one?

I picked up a Stephen Hunter collection not too long ago. I've got Bob 1 through 9 plus 11, Earl 1, 2 and 3, and Ray 1 and 2. So far all I've read is Bob 1 and 2.

Mr. Hunter is supposed to be extremely knowledgeable in the field of firearms and hunting and target shooting. In the first book Bob decides he is going to prevent trophy hunting. First he tracks down trophy bucks, shoots them with a fragile bullet that stuns them for ten - fifteen minutes, and while they are stunned he saws their antlers off. Now they are no longer trophies, and hunters won't want to shoot them.

I'm thinking, UNTIL NEXT YEAR WHEN THEY GROW A NEW SET. Hmmmm.

Then SPOILER ALERT they set him up by taking a bullet fired through his rifle, paper patching the fired bullet, and shooting it through a custom 308 with a 313 bore. The paper patching acted like a sabot, peeling off as the bullet exits the muzzle, allowing the 308 bullet with rifling marks from another rifle to whoosh down range and kill whoever it was they were assassinating. Again - Hmmmmm.

41 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I don't suppose you recall the name of that one?

I picked up a Stephen Hunter collection not too long ago. I've got Bob 1 through 9 plus 11, Earl 1, 2 and 3, and Ray 1 and 2. So far all I've read is Bob 1 and 2.

I think it was iSniper.

Finally he is looking at the gun.

Description, such as it is.

"Stamped above the trigger guard was 'Made in U.S.A.', and the name of an American typewriter manufacturer. There were two small sliding bosses on the other side. One was the safety catch. The other, when moved, released the breech which dropped sideways and showed that there were cartridges and all six chambers. It was beautifully made."

Can anyone think of a typewriter company that made arevolver?

Remington Rand made automatic pistols. International Business Machines made carbines. Smith Corona made, I believe, 1903 rifles.

Iver Johnson was a bicycle company.

I thought Singer made 1911s in WWII but that doesn't sound like the description you give.

Here is a listing of typewriters. But who knows which companies made some obscure firearm.

https://typewriterdatabase.com/all.0.brands

2 hours ago, Alpo said:

Man, I had no idea there were that many typewriter companies.

In many ways firearms are like typewriters with all the sequencing of parts so I imagine over the past 130 years a few have tinkered with making pistols or revolvers. Good luck knowing which ones did, even with the power of the Internet at your fingertips.

History of Smith Corona

Before the Smith brothers helped change the world with typewriters, they manufactured firearms. Noticing that some of the mechanical processes and manufacturing techniques employed at the firearms factory mirrored those present in the emerging production of typewriters, Alexander T. Brown, an inventor working for the brothers, approached them with his own mechanical typewriter design.

In 1886, Lyman Cornelius (LC) Smith, Wilbert Smith, Hurlbut W. (HW) Smith, and Monroe C. Smith founded the Smith Premier Typewriter Company, in order to produce Brown's forward-thinking dual-case typewriter design.

Archived