SASS Wire Forum

Trying to decide if the author is wrong or not

Alpo

Eric Ambler. British. Thus it is obvious that he will make mistakes about guns, right? Because, as everyone knows, the British don't know anything about guns. :P

1940 Istanbul. Someone is trying to kill the British engineer. They are attempting to keep him safe until he returns home to England. A friend, a Russian, pulls a small revolver from his coat pocket and offers it to him. The Englishmen says that he has never even shot one. The Russian says that it is simple. Remove the safety, point it at the other man, pull the trigger and hope for the best.

Immediate thought - safety on a revolver. Such a common ENGLISH gun mistake. :o

But it specified it was a "small revolver". And so many European revolvers, especially of the "bicycle gun" type, came with safeties. So maybe it wasn't an "idiotic gun writer" mistake. :huh:

Henry Henry Henry. If my threads annoy you so much, and it is quite obvious by your responses that my threads annoy you, why do you keep opening them?

Just to spit your vitriol?

Only one I know of is the S&W Model 40 which was only a grip safety. Otherwise no. Others will know better than me I am certain.

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Henry Henry Henry. If my threads annoy you so much, and it is quite obvious by your responses that my threads annoy you, why do you keep opening them?

Just to spit your vitriol?

Because I like to think that everyone has something valuable to say.

21 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

The Webley-Fosberry was the first that came to my mind. 

7AE44BD0-39C0-40D1-8AF4-BAB314B43B31.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The Webley-Fosberry was the first that came to my mind. 

You just wanted a reason to post that picture

1 hour ago, Smoken D said:

Only one I know of is the S&W Model 40 which was only a grip safety. Otherwise no. Others will know better than me I am certain.

There were  a few like this, known as "lemon squeezers."  Man those things were a PAIN to shoot.  

image.png.a326608d1332da17f46b499cf1e320a9.png

Watching old BOND movies will never be the same again!

Curse you UB.

42 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Did anyone ever actually SEE that movie...?  :huh:

Yes I did. Really weird. Wacky 70’s movie making. :blink::lol:

https://designyoutrust.com/2019/07/the-badass-sean-connery-in-zardoz-the-most-insane-must-see-cult-classic/

British movies from the 30's and 40's, as well as modern TV shows, tend to use "revolver" to mean "handgun".  I don't think it is always a mistake.  More like saying "coke" when speaking of carbonated beverages.

I just couldn't.  Seeing that poster with 007 in a red diaper with coordinated bandoleers... nope.  Couldn't do it.  hypnotized

Wish I could help you. But all the "image" page had as a description was "Belgian bicycle revolver", and the website it was supposed to be on - invaluable.co.uk - is apparently no longer valid. At least it would not open.

Read one a while back... the bad guy had pulled out his Glock and clicked off the safety.... :blink:  

In most books I try to ignore most of the gun flubs... You would think that these types of errors would be caught at some point, if not be the author then by the editor.  Same thing in movies and on TV

Saw a knife flub last night that irritated me enough to change the channel...  on that WW2 Gold show on History channel, they found a knife in one of the caves.  It was obviously an airforce survival knife (that didn't exist until the late 50's), but one of the guys was convinced that it was a marine's knife from WW2... he even got all emotional about it.  

25 minutes ago, Joke 'um said:

British movies from the 30's and 40's, as well as modern TV shows, tend to use "revolver" to mean "handgun".  I don't think it is always a mistake.  More like saying "coke" when speaking of carbonated beverages.

Thorne Smith wrote a book back in the thirties called Turnabout. This little Egyptian god got tired of the married couple fighting all the time about who had a more difficult life to lead, so one night he switched them. She was now he, and had to get up and go to work. He was now she, and had to put on makeup and fancy clothing and meet with the church ladies and stuff such as that.

A local lothario tried to seduce the wife (husband) and she (he) chased him down the street shooting at him. In court she (he) explained, "I just got my husband's revolver that he won the war would and set about to defend my honor".

When I first read this book, back in high school, I thought Mr. Smith was an imbecile. In World War one they used the 1911, which was an automatic not a revolver.

At the time I had never heard of the 1917 revolver.

In one of, I believe it was John Grishams, books his character flick off the safety on his revolver. Seems he was working on the story on a train, got to the gun part and wondered if revolvers had a safety, just than a  transit cop walked by so he asked him, he showed him that his did. Turns out this transit authority special ordered revolvers with safeties from S&W.

35 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Looks like a Belgian Bulldog...

image.png.26901c90013a9a619a52137451a0da7d.png

Not that one... this one!  :rolleyes:

Wouldn't that be an interesting piece to have on your CCW?  ^_^

img_3953.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

img_3953.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

Pictured pistol is a Velo-Dog chambered in 5.5 Center Fire. Notice how thick the rims on those cartridges are.

Size comparison.

1000447413_5dot5CF.thumb.jpg.b28bb04537eff6a7e5f2a4c7ae589ad9.jpg

The cartridge looks big because the revolver is really small.

VeloDog2.png.d8ca004172ff6cf2c2e79be59db14711.png

VeloDog.png.3e375119d5b9a086b7a8dc5bf5ebb37f.png

Lots of really cool history on Velo-Dogs at this website

4 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Well, there you go Alpo. 

2 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

1000447413_5dot5CF.thumb.jpg.b28bb04537eff6a7e5f2a4c7ae589ad9.jpg

The cartridge looks big because the revolver is really small

On another computer I have a PDF file of a Guns Magazine article where Charles Askins had a Colt Woodsman Target automatic converted to centerfire to use the velo dog.

I went to Guns Magazine's website to see if I can link that, but they apparently no longer have back issues on their site.

In this article, however, Skeeter tells about it.

http://www.darkcanyon.net/The_Legend_Of_Charley_Askins.htm

30 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Go on, I dare ya to watch this trailer!

I refuse to succumb to peer pressure.

Archived