SASS Wire Forum

Show me your cross draw holster.

Howdy y'all, I'm in discussions with my chosen leather maker (Giby). I can't quite visualize the angle & drop that I want in a cross draw.

Any photo's of what y'all use?

Giby knows what the max angle is. He’s made a couple of nice ones for me. But your body shape affects the way it hangs. How much higher does the belt hang on your hips than the buckle? The lower the buckle relative to hips, the more cant to the holster from plumb. Suggest you send him a picture of yourself standing straight up with your current rig. 

The photo above appears to me to exceed the angle, but it might be exaggerated by the posture of the cowboy.

From personal experience, too much cant  is counterproductive to reholstering  

YMMV. 

Don't have a picture, but mine is 15 degree cant. Works well worn in the front left of your buckle. Shift your stance to right leg back and no need to "dance" when drawing or reholstering.

I wear double strong side rigs.  On those stages where I want to cross draw,  I just turn the left side gun around backwards in the holster before the beep.  Actually works quite well and there are no worries about holster angle.  

6 hours ago, Lucky L said:

JM Leather...I have two "set ups" from him...and my son also wears a JM Leather set up.

IMG_0407 - Copy (2).JPG

Thank you for posting. I think this is the angle & drop that I wanted. 

11 hours ago, Ranger Dan said:

Don't have a picture, but mine is 15 degree cant. Works well worn in the front left of your buckle. Shift your stance to right leg back and no need to "dance" when drawing or reholstering.

What he isnt saying is that he often dances after a stage

Imis

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I wear double strong side rigs.  On those stages where I want to cross draw,  I just turn the left side gun around backwards in the holster before the beep.  Actually works quite well and there are no worries about holster angle.  

I do the same thing, except I carry mine that way all the time.  Retention is as good or maybe even better than the other side. 

One thing I really like is that the pistol front sight rides in the seam groove inside the holster.  It doesn't wear the leather, or break off the Vaquero sight (which happened twice before I switched its direction).  The holster is vertical, and I have no angle worries, although I do rotate to draw and reholster.   I have a crossdraw holster, but I worried too much about the angle, which was close to the 30 degrees.  

10 minutes ago, Tennessee Snuffy said:

Just a question since I am going to have a cross draw holster made in the future.

Based upon PaleWolfe's compass does Trooper Ozzy cross draw exceed the 30 degrees?

Not when I stand up straight.  Check your angle between the carry loop and front edge of the holster.

Inked9305153113667_LI.jpg

No photo, but I wear mine nearly vertical, maybe 5 degrees cant.  

1 hour ago, Tennessee Snuffy said:

Just a question since I am going to have a cross draw holster made in the future.

Based upon PaleWolfe's compass does Trooper Ozzy cross draw exceed the 30 degrees?

Not going to get into the question of any individual holster. 

When you get a crossdraw holster, keep in mind that the weight of the pistol will usually tip the pistol even further than the angle of the loop (the shorter the barrel, the more the tip). Since the rule is ‘as worn’, whatever you measure while the holster’s on your work bench doesn’t matter. 

Also, the angle of the belt across the front of your hips will effect the AS WORN angle, as well.  The closer the holster is worn toward your belly, the greater the dip of the belt and the extra tilt of the holster. (ETA: Also, the volume of the wearer’s ‘Dunlop’ will effect the dip of the belt, too).

Different holsters handle the weight differently, so I guess the bottom line is wear it and check it.

"We The People" Rig from Colt Faro. Holsters are designed to hold the pistol from either direction. Can be worn double strong side or as a cross draw. I wear it cross draw, the more vertical design helps prevent doing the "cross draw dance" and still is a very smooth, quick draw without as much worry of breaking the 170. 

88183244_3765722130167880_3889354432856457216_o.jpg

On 4/28/2020 at 6:05 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Just an FYI:

SHB p.3

30 degrees.jpg

THANX!, PWB!

Perfect explanation.

Cat Brules

that phrase has always interested me , i use galco holsters - i know they are made to comply but its been my observation that often an individual body type alters what otherwise might might comply , i actually went to two strong sides but have my original set i think i comply with both  to my satisfaction , only ever had one question my canted cross draw but had no issue when i explained it was a factory compliant - not a custom to my request , somewhere in between would make me happy i think , 

I have seen a few cross draw holsters worn so horizontally that they made me want to dance evasively as they walked by.   I just don't like somebody's loaded pistol pointing at my knees--or worse-- holsered or otherwise.  So to me it isn't just about when the pistols are being drawn or reholstered.  

From a rig i have utilizing holsters for 7.5" Colts.20200430_142700.thumb.jpg.5649054cedd1691bd83a768caeff0c12.jpg

I shoot duelist and have always worn crossdraws. ‘As worn’ is the criteria. If you wear your belt low in the front [dunlap disease] it will increase the ‘as worn’ angle and if the holster ‘as built’ is close to 30 drgrees  you might be illegal. I built this contraption years ago to prevent my crossdraw from breaking the 170. There are three 45-70 dummy’s with the primer pockets drilled and tapped and a block of hardwood drilled and tapped with a taper sanded into it. The holster slides up on it and tightens it onto your belt. I prefer canvas over leather, much more comfortable to me. Works great. 

EE5006EC-E414-47C5-8A9D-01AA857E146A.jpeg

354957A3-01C0-4B8D-A50B-139D233324D1.jpeg

88196A22-D71A-49E6-8FBE-BA5A754E5E4C.jpeg

I had this holster made as a crossdraw, that is to say, right hip, left hand draw.   I thought that it would work better that way with the pistol it was made for.   After using it a couple of times, I tried using it on my left hip, left hand draw, and found that I liked it better.  Go figure.   I guess how I normally do double strong side was just to ingrained in my to figure out crossdraw.   Still, you can see the angle.IMG_0796.thumb.JPG.c3cc2ff186a219734f3b9396ef315e81.JPG 

I just could not resist having my picture taken next to the sign in Tombstone saying you can't carry a gun when I passed through there last year on my way to a shoot in Nevada.    And yes, it HAD to be the Buntline.

Archived