SASS Wire Forum

Black Powder in 1866 Yellow Boy

Wade Fargo

Anyone have any experience with black powder in a 1866 Yellow Boy? I’m considering one, I am not and probably never will be a fast action shooter, that’s fine. I can have plenty of fun shooting stage times that are double what many consider passable and walk with a smile. What I discovered was I really love black powder shooting. The yellow boy is just an awesome looking weapon and as its available 38-40 so I was looking for some feedback on that combination .

Wade

1 hour ago, Thunder Creek Kid said:

I am not a fast action shooter either. 

I'll vouch for that.:P:P:D

I've got 3 Yellowboys in 38-40. Nice and smooth.  A great thing about the 38-40s is that you will have minimal amount of cleaning when you have finished shooting. 

BS

While I shoot a '73, many of my fellow sootmasters run a '66.  They love them.

1 hour ago, Barry Sloe said:

I've got 3 Yellowboys in 38-40. Nice and smooth.  A great thing about the 38-40s is that you will have minimal amount of cleaning when you have finished shooting. 

BS

What do you mean "minimal amount of cleaning"? 

Is that due to the shape of the cartridge or do you just mean you can't get to the internals like on a 73?

Or another reason 

44-40 and 38-40 brass tends to be thinner than most other chamberings, especially 45 Colt. As such it expands easier and seals better, so with less blowback the gun stays cleaner in the action.  The inside of the barrel gets just as dirty, but it is easy to clean a BP barrel, just use a water based cleaner.

I shoot FCD and My go to Rifle is a 66 Uberti Sporting Rifle in .38-40.

This is the best Black Powder Caliber out there, bar none ...

Really Slick feeding and No blow-back ....

Just Clean the Bore and Spray down the lifter Done, and check under the Side plate every year or two ...

Be careful not to push bore crud into the Action...

Jabez Cowboy

Bottle neck cartridges seem to work best with black powder,  that being said I have shot both my 66 & 73 uberti in45 colt almost exclusively with black powder or BP subs and have not had issues with fouling. I tear down my rifles 2-3 times a year right before a big shoot. I spray the carrier with balistol about every 3 stages. Good crimp on a big lube bullet is your friend.  Another thing that helps is to not try to download your load.

Rafe

I shot a ‘66 in .38 Special with blackpowder loads for 13 years.  I kept the barrel and internals clean but did not polish the outside of the brass receiver.  The 13 year old brass patina helped sell the rifle when I passed it on to another shooter.

3 hours ago, Rube Burrows said:

What do you mean "minimal amount of cleaning"? 

Is that due to the shape of the cartridge or do you just mean you can't get to the internals like on a 73?

Or another reason 

As some others have noted, it's the bottle necked case.  The bottle neck seals the case to the chamber not allowing blow back. 

When I'm cleaning my rifle: 1) spray a mixture of water and dish soap down the barrel; 2) run a clean patch down the barrel to get the gunk out; 3) run a patch that has Breakfree CLR on it down the barrel, this will protect the barrel.  Done.

There are times when you'll have to give it a deeper cleaning.  But 9 out of 10 times a quick cleaning will be enough.

Good luck with your new rifle,

BS

P.S.  When I was looking at switching to BP, I did a little research.  I found that the 44-40 and 38-40 had the best reputation for being the cleanest calibers.  As I am somewhat lazy, I picked the 38-40 to switch to.

Two years ago I decided I would like to shoot some black powder.  I purchased an 1866 in 44-40 with a 24.25 inch barrel to start.  I thought if one is going to shoot black powder, then you should be shooting one of the original cartridges, thus the 44-40.  I installed a PGW Super Short Stroke Kit, bought 2 revolvers in 44-40, but did not reload black powder shotgun shells.  Thanks to Hooligan Howes, I now have black powder shells.  I bought two more 1866s rifles.  I discovered that one is a carbine, so I installed another PGW Super Short Stroke Kit in it last night.  I bought two new Uberti Cattleman IIs in 44-40, but couldn't get them as smooth as my Vaqueros.  So, I bought two blue Vaqueros in 44-40.  Then I found two stainless Vaqueros in 44-40 and had to have those also.

So, does the 1866 lend itself to shooting black powder, I surely hope so.

We load them heavy and let the smoke roll.  I am not a fast shooter either, but I do have fun.

F. Lone Rder

I use a Remington Squeeg-E on a cable. After running hot water down the barrel from breech to muzzle I pull the Squeeg-E through from breech to muzzle. One pass leaves the barrel nice and clean.

21 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Welcome to the Dark Side! :ph34r:

Once you shoot black you don't go back ;)

Ha ha!! I did!! Don’t miss it at all either!!:)

Archived