SASS Wire Forum

Light load 12ga

jasper stone

Mine shot BP at that age and loved it; more of a shove than a kick. Based on memory it was 45gr of FFg and 7/8oz. lead shot.

@Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 has a load he worked out with Clays on the phone that is real nice, but I can't remember what it is at the moment.

Also, check here:

I load these for my wife.

Clays Superlite shotshell:
Worked this out with a Hodgdon's tech on the phone.
AA or Remington Hull
Win 209 Primer
13.9 grains Clays (MEC #25)
grey wad
7/8 ounce shot

Lighter than a featherlite shell
Knocks 'em down every time
--Dawg

I use Dawg's load myself for Ellie & I. I did up the powder to 14.5 and have switched to Clay-Dot. Still lighter than Feather lites by about 50fps. per my chrono. The KD's always fall if I hit 'em!

Some report loading Alliant Extra Lite a couple grains below published minimums with a 7/8 oz grey wad.  An alternative is to buy Winchester low noise, low recoil shells with the $2/box rebate.  That brings the cost near reloading cost.

Make sure the shotgun fits the 8-year old.  BTW, good job introducing a child to the shooting sports.  Bring him to EOT next year.  Someone always pays the entry fee for buckaroos and buckarettes.

Remington STS or Gun Club hull

Remington 209 or Cheddite 209 primer

13 grains of 700X

Claybuster CB175-12 wad

3/4 ounce of shot.

Lighter than AA LNLR Yet will still knock down reactive targets.

BTW;  If they are too light up the powder charge a little or switch to Winchester primers

What Prairie Dawg said!

I call this the PD Lite -- Prairie Dawg Lite Load.

This 12 gauge load is so light; I can shoot the Baikal with one hand, no problems.  It's that light.

Good with rabbits at 19 yards too.  :lol:

Mo

I,ve been loading OLG,s recipe using unique powder.   It feels lighter than the lowrecoil / lownoise AAs.  

Since this thread got started, now I can't find any more unique locally.

Anyone have a 7/8 ounce load for Titewad?  I've got Remi STS, Win209 and CB 0178-12 wads 

6 hours ago, WOLFY said:

I,ve been loading OLG,s recipe using unique powder.   It feels lighter than the lowrecoil / lownoise AAs.  

Anyone have a 7/8 ounce load for Titewad?  I've got Remi STS, Win209 and CB 0178-12 wads 

Our normal loads we use are 12.5 with titewad. With 7/8 oz.

18 minutes ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

Do all of you use a measure for less than 1 ounce loads. The smallest measure I have is for 1 ounce. I can weigh 1 ounce and then calculate 7/8 ounce etc. but I would need to weigh each load. I assume you all have a faster way and just curious what you use.   Thanks.

I use a MEC with a adjustable charge bar, makes it real easy for custom loads.

17 minutes ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

Do all of you use a measure for less than 1 ounce loads. The smallest measure I have is for 1 ounce. I can weigh 1 ounce and then calculate 7/8 ounce etc. but I would need to weigh each load. I assume you all have a faster way and just curious what you use.   Thanks.

MEC adjustable charge bar. I shoot BP and having the ability to dial in the powder and shot charges allows me to get a perfect crimp. 

Some people drill and tap the non-adjustable bar so that a set screw can be inserted into the cavity. Use two set screws to keep them from moving.

Thanks for starting this thread, Jasper.

Also, I'll give your titewad load a try this afternoon.

On 4/28/2020 at 10:24 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

3/4- 1oz shot and 17gn of Unique fo 12ga.

Less felt recoil than so called 'Featherlites'.

OLG 

OLG, is this a published load or a wildcat?

I looked at the Unique recipes, and they all seem to be for 1.125" and heavier loads.
I'm thinking Unique being a slow(er) burn powder is why it has a "push" instead of the "snap".

52 minutes ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

I’m using a Lee Load All. The smallest bushing is 1 ounce. Sounds like MEC has the bushings for lighter loads. I’ll check with Lee but I didn’t see anything on their website. Thanks.

I'm using a lee load all#2 . We use the 095 bushing to drop roughly 12.5gn of Hodgdon international and the 7/8 bushing for #no8 shot with the cb0178-12 wad.

17 hours ago, jasper stone said:

Sorry wolf, sg powder is international Hodgdon at 12.5gn.  Titewad maybe close. We use titegroup on 38s. 

no worries, i have loaded heavier w titewad in the past (1oz 17.5grns), so i was going to work down towards yours (shot some that were 15grn today will try 14.5 on friday).

FWIW, I have used titegroup for a lot of my pistol reloads.

18 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I found it some 40+ yrs ago and gave it a try.

Don't recall now where I saw it.

It is very mild, and won't cycle some semi-auto SG's

My wife:wub: likes this loading due to her back and wrist issues.

OLG 

What are the full particulars on this load?
Wad, primer and hull.

I have all STS hulls, various primers,  CB-175-12 wads, and my neighbor has a tub of Unique.

43 minutes ago, bgavin said:

What are the full particulars on this load?
Wad, primer and hull.

I have all STS hulls, various primers,  CB-175-12 wads, and my neighbor has a tub of Unique.

209 primer, any case and CB wad.

OLG 

On 4/28/2020 at 7:54 PM, WOLFY said:

13 grains of Titewad, same hull, wad, etc.

On 4/28/2020 at 12:07 PM, jasper stone said:

Anyone have a recipe for light loads for 12 ga reloading? For 8yr old to handle?

Hey Jasper! Hit me up if we ever get back to the Pass for a shoot. I've been using a buddy's ultra light sporting clay loads to help my old shoulder. I'll let ya try some, don't remember the load for sure but if you like em I'll get it for you.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:35 AM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

209 primer, any case and CB wad.

OLG 

Thanks!

My neighbor has a couple kegs of Unique and will sport me to some of it.
Dunno when our Sacramento area ranges are going to open, though.

In my head, I can see the slow burn of Unique being more of a "push" than a sharp "bang" like the fast powders such as E3, Titewad, Red Dot or Clays.

Dawgs Clays load is pretty dang mild as well. Ellie and I both shoot it although I increased to 14.5 grains for whatever reason.

Archived