SASS Wire Forum

Political correctness run amok

Alpo

59 minutes ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Alpo, how can you possibly know all this and still have so many questions about everything else?  ;)

Angus

My life's ambition is to be "the world's greatest authority". To know everything about everything.

The questions I aaskre about things that I have not yet learned.

1 hour ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Had a co-worker originally from Rhodesia (before it renamed itself) that would put "African-American" on forms just to screw with people. He was of European descent.:D

I read an article some years ago. This young man was the son of missionaries. He had been born in the Belgian Congo. But since both of his parents were American, he is considered to be a native-born American.

In college he saw an application for a scholarship for African Americans. He applied. He won. Now all that was left was the personal interview.

And this white guy walks into the office and says that he is here for the interview about the African-American scholarship. Black woman behind the desk at all upset. "You're not African American. I'M African American."

He asked her what part of Africa she came from. Never been there. Ask her what part of Africa her parents came from. Never been there. Asked her what part of Africa her grandparents came from. Never been there. And she was telling him that he, American who was born in Africa, was not African American.

The annoying thing about remembering this story, if I don't remember whether he got the scholarship or not. I do remember he took it over her head.

Howdy,

It just seems so odd to me that people from south America aren't americans.

Just because United Statesians sounds so really really dumb.

Best

CR

36 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Just because United Statesians sounds so really really dumb.

That would also cover Mexicans, since the official name of the country is Estados Unidos Mexicanos.

On 4/29/2020 at 2:31 PM, Alpo said:

I read an article some years ago. This young man was the son of missionaries. He had been born in the Belgian Congo. But since both of his parents were American, he is considered to be a native-born American.

In college he saw an application for a scholarship for African Americans. He applied. He won. Now all that was left was the personal interview.

And this white guy walks into the office and says that he is here for the interview about the African-American scholarship. Black woman behind the desk at all upset. "You're not African American. I'M African American."

He asked her what part of Africa she came from. Never been there. Ask her what part of Africa her parents came from. Never been there. Asked her what part of Africa her grandparents came from. Never been there. And she was telling him that he, American who was born in Africa, was not African American.

The annoying thing about remembering this story, if I don't remember whether he got the scholarship or not. I do remember he took it over her head.

When I was applying to colleges, the UNCF didn't have any official requirement that you be black or african american.  The commercials even said it was for the underprivileged, which I absolutely was.  I know because I read every word of every document I could find from them.  I applied and won.  They asked what my race was on the application and I left it blank.  A couple weeks later I got a letter saying it had been revoked for lying on the application.  I found out my counselor had called them and told them I wasn't black when she found out I had been selected. 

Archived