SASS Wire Forum

The Grand Reopening?

Warden Callaway

Missouri State lockdown is due to expire May 3 - this coming Sunday.  But apparently it won't be an Oklahoma land rush with gates wide open.  I'm sure it's going to be a mess as there are multiple levels of county and city orders to confuse matters.  Then while (most) businesses will be allowed to reopen, there may still be restrictions on gathering numbers, etc for some unclear time. 

This recent statement from our governor. 

“Our re-opening efforts will be careful," Parson said. "They will be deliberate and done in phases. The timing may not look the same in every community. Our hardest hit areas like St. Louis Kansas City may take longer to fully recover. But we must be ready for a slow and steady recovery, with some sort of social distancing continued, even as we begin to reopen the economy.”

Now that's perfectly confusing. 

A couple of weeks back we drove through the tourist trap area of Bagnell Dam an the Lake of the Ozarks.  Normally it would be bumper to bumper with slow moving trafic and wide boulevard crowded with people in a Carnival type setting.  But it was an eerie ghost town.  Like a post apocalypse movie setting.  Just a few cars and people here and there.  If they expend social distance orders, how are the amusement area like Branson with Silver Dollar City and the big music theaters going to open?  Conversion and big sports events? Movie theaters?  

Then there are county and city orders.  Will they expire the same time?  Will I be compliant in one county but not in the next? 

Then there are other precautions that have been set in place by business. My next door neighbor has a supervisor position at the nuclear power plant.   He read off the daily questionnaire he has to go through every day with every employee before they report to work.  If they fail any of the questions,  they have to be cleared by a Dr. before reporting to work. People that had been working from home have to be rotated back in no more than two weeks to keep their security clearance.  He says every day the questionnaire is updated with new questions.  The facility is under complete lockdown.  Deliveries are stopped outside the gates and procedures are followed to unload and take inside.  I asked him if the restrictions will magically go away May 3rd.  Oh no. They are in effect until at least through July.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think people here in southern California started violating the self quarantine in droves over the past week. Traffic is getting heavier. The only good thing about this virus was the traffic for those of us that went to work.   

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Missouri State lockdown is due to expire May 3 - this coming Sunday.  But apparently it won't be an Oklahoma land rush with gates wide open.  I'm sure it's going to be a mess as there are multiple levels of county and city orders to confuse matters.  Then while (most) businesses will be allowed to reopen, there may still be restrictions on gathering numbers, etc for some unclear time. 

This recent statement from our governor. 

Now that's perfectly confusing. 

A couple of weeks back we drove through the tourist trap area of Bagnell Dam an the Lake of the Ozarks.  Normally it would be bumper to bumper with slow moving trafic and wide boulevard crowded with people in a Carnival type setting.  But it was an eerie ghost town.  Like a post apocalypse movie setting.  Just a few cars and people here and there.  If they expend social distance orders, how are the amusement area like Branson with Silver Dollar City and the big music theaters going to open?  Conversion and big sports events? Movie theaters?  

Then there are county and city orders.  Will they expire the same time?  Will I be compliant in one county but not in the next? 

Then there are other precautions that have been set in place by business. My next door neighbor has a supervisor position at the nuclear power plant.   He read off the daily questionnaire he has to go through every day with every employee before they report to work.  If they fail any of the questions,  they have to be cleared by a Dr. before reporting to work. People that had been working from home have to be rotated back in no more than two weeks to keep their security clearance.  He says every day the questionnaire is updated with new questions.  The facility is under complete lockdown.  Deliveries are stopped outside the gates and procedures are followed to unload and take inside.  I asked him if the restrictions will magically go away May 3rd.  Oh no. They are in effect until at least through July.

Don’t know how grand it’s going to be, but it will hopefully lead to something near normal in the next few weeks. 

Sawmill Mary and I just finished breakfast and I brought this topic up.  She had independently tried to find a documented plan of emancipation from "shelter at home" order and found none.   

I figure it'll be like coming to a stoplight that's stopped working.  Traffic backs up for a while until someone just goes. Then everyone just takes a turn. 

When Missouri Governor Parson announced his stay at home order several weeks ago, he said he was doing it because he had been criticized for not doing it.  Maybe if we criticize him enough now he will back off totally.

1 hour ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

When Missouri Governor Parson announced his stay at home order several weeks ago, he said he was doing it because he had been criticized for not doing it.  Maybe if we criticize him enough now he will back off totally.

When our elected representatives see that they are no longer in front of the herd "leading" they will scramble, reverse course or what they need to do to get back out in front again. 

2 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

In the process of trying to find out details,  I ran across some statements the extension was to keep Federal money coming in. 

4 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

In the process of trying to find out details,  I ran across some statements the extension was to keep Federal money coming in. 

If that's the case a lot of states will be on lockdown forever.

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

If that's the case a lot of states will be on lockdown forever.

Ain’t that the truth!!!

4 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

That doesn’t seem to make any sense.I can’t believe Federal funds are more than the state’s economy.

Sawmill Mary and I have given some degree of compliance to shelter at home - keeping or distance from people mainly.   But that doesn't mean we are hidden in our house.  Most days we have some reason to venture out. Sometimes we venture out on a "drive about" just for the recreation of it.

Yesterday we made a wide loop around Lake of the Ozarks.   While traffic was low by seasonal standards,  we agreed it was definitely much higher than a couple of weeks before.   

Today we went to Columbia to have the audiologist check out one of my hearing aids.  Even though it was a miserable nasty day,  the traffic was definitely higher. 

I'm of the opinion the country, at least our area,   is going to bust out,  with restrictions lifted or not.

One of our "away" CAS matches is scheduled for Sunday.  Looks like everybody is ready.

Iowa seems to have a plan to back out of the lockdown.   Looks like 77 counties will be free on May 1. Most of these counties have never had a case.  22 remaining counties will be locked down for another two weeks. 

https://www.iowapublicradio.org/post/gov-reynolds-moves-partially-reopen-economy-iowa-reaches-peak-covid-19#stream/0

The Ozarks Posse in Cassville, Missouri got a head start this morning when about 20 or so eager cowfolk shot a 6 stage match!  Gotta brag on our buddy Noz, his first match since bumping his head last June.  He hung in there and got through all 6 stages!

Everyone seemed grateful for the opportunity.  I sure was.  Am.  Whatever.

Cajon has a match on May 9th, limited to 50 shooters, 10 to a posse. YAHOOO!!!

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Did you make two possies or one big one? 

We're loaded up for Higginsville (Mountain Oyster Gang) tomorrow.  

Just checked the scores, 17 shooters, one posse, 6 stages not seven.  I’m getting old remember!

3 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Remember what? :D

I figure forgetting things is nature's way of giving seniors exercise.  I don't know how many miles in a day I spend backtracking to get something that I forgot to take along.  That and dropping things that provide bending exercise.  

Chisolm Trail is having our club shoot today first one since the lockdown, REALLY looking forward to it!  SCJ

922541283_MountainOysterGangMay32020.jpg.bd98181c5af343b37a8bd5dd741f0094.jpg

We loaded up and went. They had a good turnout. This is the safety meeting.

We didn't stay.  Pollin allergies started kicking my butt. I kept feeling worse.  I didn't want to stay and struggle through feelings rotting.   Once we got 10 miles down the road I started feeling better.  Feel OK now. Just something in the air there at the range.  I suspect honey locust.  

Back on topic.

Just as the sun was dawning on the reopening of the state,  a new spike in cases are reported.  319 new cases with 14 deaths in one day.  Kind of suspicious timing,  I would say.  Like when the votes are counted,  candidate A lost by 200 votes.  But before the count is validated another box of votes are found in the trunk of a car.  500 new votes and 450 go to candidate A.  Anyway, more mass testing is turning up more positive results.   But they don't make it clear if those tested positive are ones that have already recovered.

https://www.kmbc.com/article/missouri-adds-319-covid-19-cases-to-reach-total-of-8154-kansas-city-climbs-to-nearly-600-st-louis-1186/32351644

Just an observation.  We have been on I70 and around a number of times over the last month.  I70 has been a pleasure to drive due to its low volume of traffic.   Sunday morning we drove over 100 miles on I70 from central Missouri to the west.  Traffic was light from 7:00am to about 9:00am.    On our return at about 10:00am,   the traffic was considerably heavier with a lot more private vehicles.   Probably more than half were from out of state and just not Kansas and Illinois - Texas, Utah,  Wisconsin,  Michigan on and on.   There were folks, packing canoes,  kayaks, pulling boats, campers,  etc,  these people were going somewhere or coming back from some kind of recreation.  While the traffic wasn't bumper to bumper heavy as it normally is,  it was noticeably heaviest that I've seen it in the past month.

On 5/1/2020 at 4:54 PM, bgavin said:

Sacramento Valley Shooting Center is scheduled to open on May 4.

Why the obsession with cameras and motorcycles? Photos now come from cell-phones and motorcycles must be single seaters and there's no fun in either.

I've had motorcycles for just under 60 years.. the current Harley is the last one, and it is time to sell it off.
Cell phones are for... cell phone users.  Not for me, at all.
I shot commercially for years, and the safe is chock full of Nikons, Sinars, RZ67s, C330s, and Crown Graphics.
And the freezer has about 200 years' worth of frozen film.
None get used any more except the two Nikon digitals.

bikes.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Our son the nurse went back to work yesterday after being on furlough for two weeks.  Their patients count is up but not to where it was before shutdown.  

This evening's report. 

"High light of my day today was a crew came through about 10am to hang up signs with a long explanation that basically said if your sick now or have been for the last two weeks you shouldn't enter the building. I pointed them out to my supervisor and asked if we're only accepting healthy patients now? She didn't get it until I had her carefully read it twice. Then her eyes widened and phone calls were made. A couple hours later another crew came through and took them down. Were tested damn near everyone with a cross ways fart for Codid. Test results went from 3 days to now 7, was advised it could go up to 10 due to the volume and limited testing facilities. Governor wants to test as many people as possible before he opens the state. So now people with any cough, headache, sore throat, body aches, fever, chills, diarrhea, or SOB gets tested if they want to. You want to talk about overflowing the system! We're doing it full time now."

CT isn't scheduled for a partial re-opening until May 20th.  Private gun ranges that normally allow guests for matches/skeet/trap, etc have either been closed completely or open for members only.  I suppose it helps some when the weather hasn't really been that warm, it feels more like fall than the middle of May.  I don't think it reached 60 degrees today.

While I am eager to be able go do things outside, I feel both selfish and a little guilty, CT has more then 3K dead and CT is 3rd in the nation at 853  deaths per million behind only NJ & NY.

I ventured into Wally-World for the first time in over a month.  Usually I dump Sawmill Mary at the gate and go park. Anyway,  there were a couple of items I wanted to shop for so I went in, found them and dumped them in the cart. 

I had to ask one of the associates were to find one item I wanted. I was close. She led me up the wrong way on their new one way isle system. No big deal as no one seemed to be obaying this rule.  I found what I liked but as usual, the inventory was all mixed up. So I took my choise to my helpful associate for her to scan and give me the price.  I held the tag with bar code while she scanned it so we were less than 6" apart - not 6'.

I did make a point of going the the TP shelves.   The shelves were at least half full of paper goods.   Some items only a few, others more. And I didn't see one jumbo pack in every cart. So maybe we've hit the saturation point on poo paper. 

Gas priced jumped 20 cents in past couple of days. 

9 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Don't sound like locking down is working.  

Out of context selected statistics don't mean much.  We've had over 5000 deaths in this state.  According to the medical folks, the RATE of spread is the issue.  So they are looking for four straight days with declining rates, not just a day or two of lower numbers, before they think about re-opening anything.

I understand that a lot of folks do not have the ability to work from home; that for some, not being able to go to work means no income; and that some folks are stir crazy.  But I don't see the basis for fearing a vast government conspiracy to "take away your rights" for some undisclosed wrongful purpose.  When you have no medicine to fight this plague, what else can you do but try to slow and maybe break the chain of transmission?

And pray.

I'm still in my cave, and I intend to stay here until there are real signs that the risk has fallen.  That may be tomorrow, or it might be December.

LL

Archived