SASS Wire Forum

How to shoot a match with social distancing.

wyliefoxEsquire

Please post what your club has done to shoot a match and still respect social distancing.

Maybe someone from Dixie Desperados will post what they did?

-wylie

We never missed a monthly thanks to the help of a local shooter that is starting her own club we just moved there for our April match. March we squeaked in and May our club reopens.

We tried to use the same TO or no more than 2, same score keepers (2) didn't use spotting sticks, didn't hug or shake hands, kept the posses small(er), had the same folks reset shotgun targets and kept our fingers out of mouths......lol. 

Soon we will be back to normal......not NEW normal just good ole fashion normal. 

1 hour ago, Cowboy Junky said:

We never missed a monthly thanks to the help of a local shooter that is starting her own club we just moved there for our April match. March we squeaked in and May our club reopens.

We tried to use the same TO or no more than 2, same score keepers (2) didn't use spotting sticks, didn't hug or shake hands, kept the posses small(er), had the same folks reset shotgun targets and kept our fingers out of mouths......lol. 

Soon we will be back to normal......not NEW normal just good ole fashion normal. 

We are shut down to June 1 at least, but are having these discussion now.  Did you mandate masks?  Did you make any sanitizer available?

We are looking at having a “practice match”.  I Texas governor has limited outdoor sports to 4 participants. We will have 4 per stage, 6 stages. Shooter, TO, 2 counters. No hugging 

limiting to first 24 to sign up. 

not perfect, but at least shooting. 

40 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

This past Saturday. :lol:

20200425_100111.jpg

Must be photo shopped every knows that there is 10 inches of mud in Helena MT. on April 25th

I poised this question to someone who could actually make the call for state govt. if required. She said : No more than 12 per group (posse) per stage ,No overlapping .TO with gloves and maybe target reset with gloves. No more than one on loadind and unloading. For what its worth. Twelve on posse after stay at home order is resended.

Since we rent a range from Izaak Walton's, we fall under their rules.  

Currently the "rules" are that only Izaak members can shoot.  No non-members.

We can't have an "open to everyone" match.

But we could have an unofficial cowboy shoot, but only about 3 of our regular 20+ competitors are Ike's members.

It costs $150/year to be an Ike's member, so there ain't many takers

But maybe we can have a real shoot in June.

If social distancing is required, we will likely never shoot again. Our club went to a "shoot when you're ready" format. Kinda hard to maintain 6 ft apart went 5 shooters try to crowd onto the loading table at the same time.

On 4/28/2020 at 8:42 AM, Sarge said:

We are shut down to June 1 at least, but are having these discussion now.  Did you mandate masks?  Did you make any sanitizer available?

No masks........I would have probably put hand sanitizer out IF you could find any. We sure couldn't. I think it's a great idea to use effective tools and be smart about this.......I personally just don't think hiding and hoping it goes away is a good tool because the virus will wait you out. 

Use one person to do all the sign in's so everyone is not touching the same clipboard and pen. Place two eight foot tables together for loading and limit only three at the loading table at a time. Have individual timers for each TO or wipe the timer off with disinfecting wipes when passed. Do not use spotting sticks. Have individual brass retrieval tools or wipe when passed. If you can't find hand sanitizer then make some out of 151 rum with about 20% aloe vera gel added to thicken (sold for sunburn alongside suntan lotions at store). Social distancing is what you have been trying to get the spotters to do for years now instead of bunching up. Outlaw's always wore scarves over their faces so maybe have an outlaw only shoot requiring all to wear a scarf in that way.

Just Saying

Panhandle Cattle Company in Chipley, FL is going to resume our regular match schedule this weekend.  We cancelled both April matches to comply with the FL governor's recommendations.  This is the first part of the match notice sent to our mailing list yesterday:

Following today's announcement by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, we at Panhandle Cattle Company feel that we can safely resume our monthly matches, with the following provisions:
  1. If you are sick or don't feel well, stay home!  Better safe than sorry.
  2. The Governor has said to avoid gatherings of 10 or more, if you can't properly social distance.  We have plenty of room to spread out so social distancing can be maintained.  Elbow bumps please - save handshakes & hugs for later.
  3. We will have small posses, no more than 10 shooters per posse.
  4. We will set up an extra loading table on each bay & ask that no more than 3 people at a time use the loading tables.
  5. If you want to wear a mask, please do so.  Cowboy bandanas are encouraged!

All our outdoor ranges are shut-down in Ontario, Canada.

No idea when they could be allowed to re-open.

6 hours ago, Hollifer A. Dollar said:

Panhandle Cattle Company in Chipley, FL is going to resume our regular match schedule this weekend.  We cancelled both April matches to comply with the FL governor's recommendations.  This is the first part of the match notice sent to our mailing list yesterday:

Following today's announcement by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis, we at Panhandle Cattle Company feel that we can safely resume our monthly matches, with the following provisions:
  2. The Governor has said to avoid gatherings of 10 or more, if you can't properly social distance.  We have plenty of room to spread out so social distancing can be maintained.  Elbow bumps please - save handshakes & hugs for later.
  4. We will set up an extra loading table on each bay & ask that no more than 3 people at a time use the loading tables.

I wish we were closer, we would be there for sure.

It goes without saying (Yeah, I'm saying it anyway!), with 10 or so on a posse, everyone needs to work. No standing around at your cart while a few do everything & barely have time to get ready for the next stage. If you think nobody is noticing, you're wrong. Just thought it needed to be said.

35 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

It goes without saying (Yeah, I'm saying it anyway!), with 10 or so on a posse, everyone needs to work. No standing around at your cart while a few do everything & barely have time to get ready for the next stage. If you think nobody is noticing, you're wrong. Just thought it needed to be said.

+1

I don't see us opening at Heidelberg anytime soon. The ranges just reopened with shooting bench relocation's & virus safety protocols in place, members only - no guests on club grounds, all club events/activities cancelled through May 24th at this time. If we can get back to shooting, and still having to adhere to virus safety protocols, I see 10 in a posse, everyone will be an outlaw with a bandanna over their face when around anyone, individual loading tables set up to maintain the spaced 6' apart rule along with non shooter staying 6' apart, and with only 10 in the posse everyone would have to work. I guess time will tell.

55 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

But, but, I'm old and tired Max.  I want to let young folks like you and Ophelia shag all that brass!  I was hoping you would push my cart for me at the next match too! 

Experiments have shown that the COVID-19 virus' half-life is greatly reduced when exposed to summer heat, humidity and sun.  That should help all of us resume shooting.

https://reason.com/2020/04/24/will-summers-heat-humidity-and-sunlight-help-us-slow-covid-19/  

43 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

But, but, I'm old and tired Max.  I want to let young folks like you and Ophelia shag all that brass!  I was hoping you would push my cart for me at the next match too! 

You're an obvious exception, Capt Bill. I hope you know none of this applies to you. You should relax at your cart & let somebody bring you a nice, cool drink while everyone else works.

11 minutes ago, Max Payne said:

You're an obvious exception, Capt Bill. I hope you know none of this applies to you. You should relax at your cart & let somebody bring you a nice, cool drink while everyone else works.

I knew there was a reason I held you in such high regard Max!

We reserved a spot at Belton, are you going to Gaston tomorrow?

7 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I knew there was a reason I held you in such high regard Max!

We reserved a spot at Belton, are you going to Gaston tomorrow?

We'd love to be at Gaston & shoot, but we don't want the 8 hour round trip drive. So, we're gonna miss that one. We will be at Belton, so we'll see you there!

21 hours ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

I had it and so did my wife and two of my friends and we are all still here!

Are you absolutely sure you're still here?  Leading philosophers theorize that the dearly departed are most likely the last to know that they have departed.  Maybe ask some of your neighbors just to be sure. 

On 4/30/2020 at 11:27 AM, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

Use one person to do all the sign in's so everyone is not touching the same clipboard and pen. Place two eight foot tables together for loading and limit only three at the loading table at a time. Have individual timers for each TO or wipe the timer off with disinfecting wipes when passed. Do not use spotting sticks. Have individual brass retrieval tools or wipe when passed. If you can't find hand sanitizer then make some out of 151 rum with about 20% aloe vera gel added to thicken (sold for sunburn alongside suntan lotions at store). Social distancing is what you have been trying to get the spotters to do for years now instead of bunching up. Outlaw's always wore scarves over their faces so maybe have an outlaw only shoot requiring all to wear a scarf in that way.

Just Saying

Just a thought on the brass, pick up your own? Only 10 to pick up? Just a thought.

On 4/30/2020 at 11:30 AM, Hollifer A. Dollar said:

With your permission I’m going to copy and paste this for our upcoming match.

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Are you absolutely sure you're still here?  Leading philosophers theorize that the dearly departed are most likely the last to know that they have departed.  Maybe ask some of your neighbors just to be sure. 

My neighbors are a bunch of Democrats They wouldn't know the dead from the living !!!!!!!!

22 hours ago, mean gun mark said:

With your permission I’m going to copy and paste this for our upcoming match.

It's OK by me.  FWIW our match today went just fine using those guidelines.

Everyone could wear these. 
Of course with the “ big and close” target trend of past few years, may have to move those targets a tad farther out. 
Good thing is no staging or loading  tables needed to set up or break down,  lay your guns on your social distancing donut. 

May have to wear your gun belt a bit higher......

id pay good money to see  10 of y’all wearing these and shooting a stage....

image.thumb.jpeg.2dc8bc390c93dbf4cc4ab25f043354dc.jpeg

Our club ranges here at Elstonville have never closed, just the restaurant/bar along with the club shoots, clays, cowboy action.

However we have used the time to work on berms build a bird popper area and more. (And we've been shooting just to shoot) "nothing official". Our guidelines will be similar to others in that slowing down a bit, and smaller posses. Masks if need be and only two per loading table (8' tables) spreading out a bit is easy and brass pickers like we use keep you from bending over anyway. Common sense is the key here, i can't tell you how many times in the last 7 weeks I've had to back away in circles from folks who just try to come up in my space to talk lol, mostly my senior friends, no fear I guess. Bottom line is we need to lookout for one another till this thing has passed. Hand sanitizer and clorox wipes are a great idea to help out and like others have said the summer heat which has been no where to be found yet here in PA will help greatly on it's own.

Our gov has us shutdown till early june at this point

Archived