SASS Wire Forum

Another Covid Post

Yul Lose

1 hour ago, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

This is exactly the part I don't understand. They're wrong to use the law to do things they shouldn't have the power to do, but you're wrong to use that as justification to endanger people who depend on you to not make things worse. You don't have to do the wrong thing just because somebody else does.

I guess I'm not convinced I'm doing anything wrong.  It's a beautiful day today in Georgia.  I went fishing this morning for a few hours, no luck, and no mask.  Didn't meet a soul.  

Just a while ago I decided I needed to go purchase a few things. I went to the local collection of big boxes and it was packed.  Maybe half the people had face masks and the other half didn't.  It seemed like any other day, except if you're over 65 and live in Georgia our governor has decided you're elderly and should stay home except when going out to purchase 'essentials'. 

I'm not that old yet and only needed to buy a few pairs of shorts, so I may have been legal, or maybe not.  But if I were that old, would I have been stopped and required to show proof of age so I could shop?

Was I doing the wrong thing?  I don't think so. 

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I guess that you suggest that during flu season we all shelter in place, wear masks, avoid social contact, don't go to work.  

Nope. You keep saying this is like the flu, but with the flu we have a vaccine, we have treatments, and people who are spreading it show symptoms. With this, I'm just suggesting we use the options that we have available and those have been pretty limited up until now.

46 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

When you went fishing? Not according to me!

When you went to the store? I don't think so, not according to what you said. Even if you didn't have a mask it sounds like you only go out where there's crowds of people if you need to, and you try not to breathe on each other's faces. One thing I could take from this exchange is that even if somebody says they're not gonna let the government tell them what to do, that doesn't mean I should assume they're doing things to put others at risk. If you're speaking out against government overstepping its authority, and still acting responsibly, then you're doing it right.

11 minutes ago, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

When you went fishing? Not according to me!

When you went to the store? I don't think so, not according to what you said. Even if you didn't have a mask it sounds like you only go out where there's crowds of people if you need to, and you try not to breathe on each other's faces. One thing I could take from this exchange is that even if somebody says they're not gonna let the government tell them what to do, that doesn't mean I should assume they're doing things to put others at risk. If you're speaking out against government overstepping its authority, and still acting responsibly, then you're doing it right.

Thanks!  I like to think that's what I'm doing.  I guess I'm also just getting tired of 'Covid Correctness'.  It seems like the crew who is constantly pushing political correctness is the same crew pushing Covid correctness (I'm not referring to you!).

9 minutes ago, Chicken Rustler, SASS #26680 said:

Nope. You keep saying this is like the flu, but with the flu we have a vaccine, we have treatments, and people who are spreading it show symptoms. With this, I'm just suggesting we use the options that we have available and those have been pretty limited up until now.

How are the 80,000 deaths in the 2017, 2018 flu season any different?  Just because we have a vaccine?  I  can't see how our response should be any different.  

Shouldn't we "use the options that we have" to prevent the scores of thousands of deaths from flu?  If not,  how do you justify not taking the same measures for a viral infection that spreads the same way?  

As for people with flu showing symptoms,  how many of them stay home from work or avoid stores?   Not many.   Most go about their normal business and don't think about it.  To be consistent during flu season we should impose the same measures.  Even though "we have vaccines. "

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

beautiful day today in Georgia.  I went fishing this morning for a few hours, no luck, and no mask.  Didn't meet a soul.  

In California you could be hit with a 1000 dollar citation for "nonessential" activities like that. 

But, hey!  Fishing by yourself will kill grandma. 

22 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

In California you could be hit with a 1000 dollar citation for "nonessential" activities like that. 

But, hey!  Fishing by yourself will kill grandma. 

Down here wearing a mask rules are in effect  and a lot of people aren’t wearing masks, myself included. I went to the hardware store this morning and I would say easily 50% of the customers were maskless. I had a bandana around my neck but not up on my mouth and nose and nobody said a thing. Went into a deli to get a cup of coffee and one out of the 3 customers had a mask. The deli owner and a friend, I guess were sitting at a counter and neither had a mask on but the girl waiting on us did. 

26 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

How are the 80,000 deaths in the 2017, 2018 flu season any different?  Just because we have a vaccine?  I  can't see how our response should be any different.  

Shouldn't we "use the options that we have" to prevent the scores of thousands of deaths from flu?  If not,  how do you justify not taking the same measures for a viral infection that spreads the same way?  

As for people with flu showing symptoms,  how many of them stay home from work or avoid stores?   Not many.   Most go about their normal business and don't think about it.  To be consistent during flu season we should impose the same measures.  Even though "we have vaccines. "

Info I see from CDC says 60,000 deaths from flu in 17-18. About half that for the next year. Although it’s difficult to tell as cause of death could be pneumonia which may or may not have been flu, 

While flu deaths in children are reported to CDC, flu deaths in adults are not nationally notifiable. In order to monitor influenza related deaths in all age groups, CDC tracks pneumonia and influenza (P&I)-attributed deaths through the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) Mortality Reporting System. This system tracks the proportion of death certificates processed that list pneumonia or influenza as the underlying or contributing cause of death. This system provides an overall indication of whether flu-associated deaths are elevated, but does not provide an exact number of how many people died from flu.

We’re at 66,000¿  right now from Covid and not at the peak yet. I think the difference is the rapid spread of Covid. Seems more contagious than flu. Or perhaps not. Time will tell.

But with 60-80,000 deaths from a disease which we had a vaccine for and still didn’t raise a panic......
The media has definitely over hyped the situation from the beginning.

57 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

When you went fishing? Nope, no one around.

Going to the store? It really depends on your perspective. I would prefer that everyone wear masks to (at least) try to prevent the spread of the virus. I'm one of those people that if I get get it, I'm probably a dead man. I would like to see 100% of the people at a match wear a mask. Reason, so I can participate in the match also knowing that I and others have taken a reasonable safety precaution against giving or receiving the virus. I know that wearing a mask is uncomfortable, I sure as hell don't like it but I like for people to be able to shoot a SASS match if they can. I don't think that I'm alone when I state that if people aren't wearing masks at the matches, I will be forced to decline participation due to health concerns.

I know that most all of us try to assist everyone at the matches as best as we can. Doesn't matter if it's loaning guns/ammo, knowledge, people with disabilities or a myriad of other things. I would think that wearing a mask for a few hours is a minor inconvenience.

BTW, If you hold the fish further away from your body, closer to the camera.....it'll look like a trophy bass. Just a heads up there pard.

42 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

We've "flattened the curve", when does it end? 

We cannot stay "shut down" until a vaccine is created.

We most certainly cannot stay "shut down". We need have to get this Country going again. If we don't, we are doomed to a looming recession at best, a depression more than likely.

That said, I do believe that we need to be somewhat cautious however. We can't just flip the supercharger button on and let her rip. The government may have overreacted and probably did. I won't defend the actions of our government but I will say that if I walked into a Chinese minefield......I'm not going to trust the Chinese to tell me where the mines are. I'm going to send out the engineers to locate as many of them as they can before I would send my men through it and it's going to take a little time to do that.

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Info I see from CDC says 60,000 deaths from flu in 17-18. About half that for the next year. Although it’s difficult to tell as cause of death could be pneumonia which may or may not have been flu, 

Here is a source for the 80,000 number.

https://www.statnews.com/2018/09/26/cdc-us-flu-deaths-winter/

On the one hand we see people saying "Yes, government overreach and overreaction is a bad thing and the protests are reasonable. " and then on the other hand,  with hardly a breath say, "we have to trust the government and do whatit tells us."

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A governor would never dare face the political danger of breaking up a Pride event.  He'd juggle 5 live rattlesnakes and 2 full hornets nests before he would attempt such a thing.

Well, he didn't say gay pride.  If it's a straight pride event it'll be shut down the day before the organizers conceive of the idea. 

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I will wear a mask because it is my choice, whether or not the government has the authority to mandate it. I also don’t drive after I’ve been drinking. Not because it’s illegal but because it’s irresponsible and dangerous, both to myself and others.

Refusing to do something which is reasonably prudent just to protest the fact that the government has made it a requirement seems silly in my opinion.

Cutting off one’s nose to spite the face, as the expression goes.

Well, some of us can't help it.  We got real strong contrarian inclinations. 

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Flu numbers I saw for that were 61k for the year, which has already been exceeded by this virus, but maybe your guys keep up with numbers better than the CDC. There is a difference though, a pretty big difference, no matter how many times we say it and you ignore it. If you're one of the people more at risk, or if you think you might go near one of the people at risk, the only defense we have so far is to not get exposed. That means other people depend on you for their safety, it's up to you whether that matters to you.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

When you went fishing? Nope, no one around.

Going to the store? It really depends on your perspective. I would prefer that everyone wear masks to (at least) try to prevent the spread of the virus. I'm one of those people that if I get get it, I'm probably a dead man. I would like to see 100% of the people at a match wear a mask. Reason, so I can participate in the match also knowing that I and others have taken a reasonable safety precaution against giving or receiving the virus. I know that wearing a mask is uncomfortable, I sure as hell don't like it but I like for people to be able to shoot a SASS match if they can. I don't think that I'm alone when I state that if people aren't wearing masks at the matches, I will be forced to decline participation due to health concerns.

I know that most all of us try to assist everyone at the matches as best as we can. Doesn't matter if it's loaning guns/ammo, knowledge, people with disabilities or a myriad of other things. I would think that wearing a mask for a few hours is a minor inconvenience.

BTW, If you hold the fish further away from your body, closer to the camera.....it'll look like a trophy bass. Just a heads up there pard.

We most certainly cannot stay "shut down". We need have to get this Country going again. If we don't, we are doomed to a looming recession at best, a depression more than likely.

That said, I do believe that we need to be somewhat cautious however. We can't just flip the supercharger button on and let her rip. The government may have overreacted and probably did. I won't defend the actions of our government but I will say that if I walked into a Chinese minefield......I'm not going to trust the Chinese to tell me where the mines are. I'm going to send out the engineers to locate as many of them as they can before I would send my men through it and it's going to take a little time to do that.

If pards need that to shoot, I'm there, no problem.   

57 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

If pards need that to shoot, I'm there, no problem.   

Thanks Bill.

This won't last forever and damn sure isn't the new normal.

https://www.blacklistednews.com/article/76902/california-cops-heckled-as-they-tell-93yearold-couple-they-cant-sit-in-chairs-on-the-beach.html?fbclid=IwAR1EOAzbKjhxpUA91Rg0gpOkuAAz3ajXj19x_-EC1G8doG9LGl-kwlbSFrQ

In Oxnard CA sitting in a chair on the beach means you are selfish and want to kill grandma, but sitting on the sand means you are being safe.

The officers, who were on horseback, were heckled by other beachgoers for harassing the couple about their chairs.

The beaches are currently open, and the couple would be allowed to be there — as long as they ditched the chairs and sat in the sand.

In San Diego Co. you can be at the beach, but you have to be walking, running, or swimming.  Sitting on the beach is forbidden.

Rule by caprice and whimsy.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

https://www.blacklistednews.com/article/76902/california-cops-heckled-as-they-tell-93yearold-couple-they-cant-sit-in-chairs-on-the-beach.html?fbclid=IwAR1EOAzbKjhxpUA91Rg0gpOkuAAz3ajXj19x_-EC1G8doG9LGl-kwlbSFrQ

In Oxnard CA sitting in a chair on the beach means you are selfish and want to kill grandma, but sitting on the sand means you are being safe.

In San Diego Co. you can be at the beach, but you have to be walking, running, or swimming.  Sitting on the beach is forbidden.

Rule by caprice and whimsy.

Everything which is not forbidden is compulsory.

Archived