SASS Wire Forum

Removing a Broken Tap

Sedalia Dave

Interesting.  I didn’t know that there was an electro-disintegration process.

Cat Brules

Another way to get a broken tap out is to heat it white hot with an oxy/acetylene torch, then turn off the acetylene and the oxygen on the hot tap will boil it right out of the hole.  This can neutralize any heat treatment of the surrounding steel but it will get the tap out.

Duffield

I worked in an auto machine shop, engine rebuilding, valve jobs etc for 11 years. I can't tell you how many broken off easy outs I had to take out. We considered them worthless. Or a good way to use all of your potty mouth words. We didn't have the new electro-disintegration process. Center punch for drill and then use progressively larger and larger bits until you could pick it out or use a tap to clean the threads of the remaining bits.

I had a stuck screw in the hammer of an original 1875 Remington Highwall carbine. Took it to a gun smith who had the fancy electrical thingy. Gave it back and there was not a mark on the threads in the hammer.  Charged me $5. 

Taps and easy outs are very brittle and like to break!

Ike

I have broken and extracted quite a few taps. In many instances the Snap-On EZ-Out set has saved my bacon, but there have been times  that it hasn't and then it's Cobalt  bits and lots of patience.

Archived