SASS Wire Forum

Long Range Single Shot Rules

Abilene Al, SASS #72248

Thinking of getting into long range single shot shooting and I would like to know where to find the rules. Are they like every SASS rule, no guns that were not designed and built or cloned prior to 1899? What mods if any are allowed, etc. ?

Thanks pards for any info.

AA 

Call the NRA for a copy of the BPCR rule book.

44 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

Call the NRA for a copy of the BPCR rule book.

Actually the only reference to and similarity to SASS Long Range and the NRA BPCR is about optical sights. Match directors can add categories .

From pg 31 of Shooters Handbook.

. Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot firearms must be originals or replicas of single shot rifles manufactured during the period from approximately 1860 until 1899. All rifles MUST have exposed hammers. The caliber and cartridge rules for the “Rifle Caliber” firearms noted above under basic rules also apply to Single Shot and Buffalo Single Shot rifles with the exception Buffalo Single Shot rifles must be .375" bore size or larger. Buffalo Single Shot competition has further restrictions requiring original or replica rifles to be a design of US manufacture. Spring-loaded ejectors are also prohibited, except for Springfield Trapdoor Rifles. The Optical Category firearms must meet the above restrictions with the following optical rules: - No length or power limitation on the scope. - Scope tube body to be 3/4" or less in diameter and any ocular or objective lenses and adjusting or assembly rings to be less than 1" in diameter. - No internal scope adjustments for windage or elevation. SINGLE ACTION SHOOTING SOCIETY Shooter’s Handbook Copyright© Single Action Shooting Society, Inc. 2020 Version 24.1 33 - Mounts are to be of a traditional style of the period and contain the windage and elevation adjustments for the scope in either, or both, the front or rear mounts. No click adjustments in the mount. Either dove tail mounting or scope block mounting is allowed. - Original scope mounts of either the Cataract or Malcolm style or variations thereof or replicas or derivative scope mounts conform to the criteria of paragraph above. (Note: these rules are identical to the NRA BPCS Rules on optical sights).

For example, see the Winter Range long range rules.  There are four single shot events.  Only one of the four requires real black powder or a sub.  I've given up shooting black powder in events that allow smokeless powder.

SASS doesn't have real long distance single shot matches. Most are possibly 300 yards. A few individual posses have better ones, like Montana, Rexburg, ID Winter Range, etc. BPCR shoots chickens at 200, pigs and turkeys at 300 and rams at 500. There are also mile shoot like at the Quigley in Forsyth, MT. Even EOT is short range. There are quite a few old matches around, especially in the East.

BPCR doesn't really apply to SASS long range side matches. SASS has a few rules as referenced. Then the shoots that have a long range side match apply thier local rules.

From experience'

1. Most SASS matches are not long range. 150 to 200 yards at the most.

2. Most are timed events. Most shots/hits in the fastest time.

3. Black powder and smokeless are not separated. So BP is a disadvantage because of  needing to use a blow tube or wipe between rounds.

4. Target sizes and distances are varied, no set rules.

5. Most will let you go prone. kneel, sit, or do off hand.

6. Lever action big bore and cowboy rifles are separate from single shot big bores. like a Sharps.

7. Lead rounds only.

8. Local club sets the rules.

9. Some clubs have a bolt action military rifle category.

9. No need for a $3,000 Shilo Sharps, unless you want one. Local guy uses an H&R handi rifle in 38-55 and wins most of what he shoots.

Ike

4 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

1. Most SASS matches are not long range. 150 to 200 yards at the most.

I consider that long range.   I can barely SEE something that far away, let alone shoot it!

At different shoots, I have seen all kinds of different long range shootings.

The most common things I have seen are...

Long range pistol, 25 to 50 yards.

Main match Rifle 75 to 150 yards

Rifle caliber repeating rifle, 100 to 250 yards

Single shot rifle 100 to 300 yards.

I tend to prefer shoots that are on the shorter range of the scale, as I can actually see and hit the targets.   The longer range stuff, well, if the target is big enough, I can find and hit it.   But what is very common is how at the longer range stuff, they tend to use smaller and smaller targets, making it all but impossible for me to even try it.

Personally, I think it's great when you see, for example, a 150 yard single shot rifle thing called one event, and then another one at 300 yards called something else.   That way you can participate in the ones you know you can at least try, and avoid the one that you know you can't.   

One replica exception to the NRA long range BPCR rules is the H&R Buffalo Classic which is a clone of a Wurfflein which is acceptable ... Go Figure

Come and Shoot at Heffley Creek, and bring your Big-gun ....

Jabez Cowboy

3 hours ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

SASS doesn't have real long distance single shot matches. Most are possibly 300 yards. A few individual posses have better ones, like Montana, Rexburg, ID Winter Range, etc. BPCR shoots chickens at 200, pigs and turkeys at 300 and rams at 500. There are also mile shoot like at the Quigley in Forsyth, MT. Even EOT is short range. There are quite a few old matches around, especially in the East.

I can't get over the border!  I did plan to attend a match at your range. I enjoy shooting with you guys. :)

Even my own Rocky Mountain Rangers posse in Noxon, MT has suffered cancellation. My local Border Marauders just offer shoots for a sparse membership. We only have a 500 yard range so we can't offer real long range BPCR matches. :angry:

I am sure ready for a return to normality.  :rolleyes:

Hi Abilene 

besides sass, I also shoot bptr.  I shoot the mid range match in the prone category.  Distances are 200, 300 and 600 yds.  It’s very competitive and the people are a lot of fun to shoot with.  Like sass, I’ve found that the other shooters are very helpful.  The rules are on the NRA website.  

Hope you end up enjoying it as much as I do 

Gringo

We're fortunate in that we have a really good long range, range. We are the only users. We go out to 750 yards.

Our annual match we shoot pistol, cowboy rifle, big bore lever and big bore single. Big bore is at 200,300,400, 500 meters.

Ours is not a timed match. So BP and smokeless shooters can compete together. We have 5 or 6 shooters on the line. First shooter shoots one round then the next etc. So by the time the round gets back to the first shooter they have had time to change sights, wipe their barrels etc. We also provide 2 spotters to verify hits and to give correction info to the shooter.

Most hits wins. Shooters shoot 10 rounds on each of the 4 targets. So overall score is important.

We just set up a 22 cal. silhouette match. BPCR targets scaled way down and set at 50, 100, 150, and 200 meters. Scopes are  a must. Knocking a Ram, 9" wide down at 200 meters with a 22 will put a smile on your face.

Ike

• 3 weeks later...

Pards,

I would like to thank every cowboy that replied. Been working long hours and have not joined in. Looking forward to get back to long range, when I wore a young cowboy's clothes I shot bolt action and ruger number 1 and a Browning 78 my wife gave me.

Looking forward, eyes might be a problem, might have to go Malcolm? Gun weight will also be a consideration.

Thanks again,

Abilene

On 4/26/2020 at 7:30 PM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

2. Most are timed events. Most shots/hits in the fastest time.

3. Black powder and smokeless are not separated. So BP is a disadvantage because of  needing to use a blow tube or wipe between rounds.

7. Lead rounds only.

2:  SASS rules suggest just the opposite, stated as most hits with time as a tie-breaker.  So, yes, I've lost a couple of matches where another competitor hit the same number targets as I did, but in a quicker time.  But, still needs to hit a number equal to or greater than anyone else.  

3.  Buffalo Single Shot requires BP and has a couple of other restrictions.  But, regular single shot can be shot with either powder.

7.  While jacketed rounds are specifically disallowed, you can use gas-checks or poly coated bullets.

My eyes, arthritis and coordination may become a problem when I become elderly. Now, as an El Rey(over 85), I still have no problem with recoil with my warthog loads loads of Holy black in my .45 Colt revolvers and rifle, my ten gauge 3-1/2" double nor in my .50-140 Sharps.

9 minutes ago, Mud Marine,SASS#54686 Life said:

My eyes, arthritis and coordination may become a problem when I become elderly. Now, as an El Rey(over 85), I still have no problem with recoil with my warthog loads loads of Holy black in my .45 Colt revolvers and rifle, my ten gauge 3-1/2" double nor in my .50-140 Sharps.

You might be the exception, rather than the rule!  :D

2:  SASS rules suggest just the opposite, stated as most hits with time as a tie-breaker.  So, yes, I've lost a couple of matches where another competitor hit the same number targets as I did, but in a quicker time.  But, still needs to hit a number equal to or greater than anyone else.  Thats what most hits in the fastest time means.Its a timed event. Ties are broken by time not a shoot off.

3.  Buffalo Single Shot requires BP and has a couple of other restrictions.  But, regular single shot can be shot with either powder. I'm speaking to the big bore single shot long range match. Because they don't separate BP from smokeless BP shooters are at a significant disadvantage. As in don't bother competing against the smokeless shooters.

7.  While jacketed rounds are specifically disallowed, you can use gas-checks or poly coated bullets. All I was saying is lead bullets only. You want to shoot gas checks or poly coated then go ahead. They're still lead bullets.

My position on SASS long range remains the same. They are not long range matches. They are speed rifle at longer than normal distances for a speed event. Until you get past 300 yards/meters it isn't long range.

Ike

SASS leaves a lot of leeway.  The Long Range matches are pretty much are up to the discretion and imagination of the the Match Director, and the available space for how long Long Range can be.  

We've had Black Powder Single Shot,  Smokeless Single Shot, "any" propellant Single Shot.  Lever Action Rifle Caliber, pistol-caliber lever-action...  But if a range only has a 300 yd berm, it's hard to shoot further.  Those ranges that have the room for longer-ranges do.

Most places I've been, the Timer is strictly a tie-breaker.   But, a shoot-off is a good idea too.   Volunteer to run the side match

There's no need to crump on SASS.  They are not stopping Match Directors from offering any variation they care to have.  Who knows, maybe that M.D. is just waiting for someone to volunteer their ideas or the willingness to run it.

My current plan is to compete in the Montana State Championship Match. One of the reasons that I like it is the true long range buffalo rifles side match. Hopefully, the Chinese virus won't screw it up.

Up here at one Match I love the Close Target on the Long Range is around 360 Yards .... From there it is Usually about 150+ or - further for the next 4 tatget distances ..

Jabez Cowboy 

Depends on the club about separations. ... NJ Jackson Hole Gang for all matches separates gender and powders, smokeless and black powder

At Tuscos' High Noon we not only separate women from men, but also Black Powder from Smokeless and in the Single Shot, ejectors from extractors.

And yes, I volunteered to manage the Long Range for this match.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:59 AM, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

My position on SASS long range remains the same. They are not long range matches. They are speed rifle at longer than normal distances for a speed event. Until you get past 300 yards/meters it isn't long range.

Ike

Oh, so true!!!

Archived