SASS Wire Forum

Bread Box

Calamity Kris

Now that I have the correct bread flour, I've started baking.  Well, I need a place to store all these creations.  I've been looking around for something similar to the picture below, but can't seem to find it.  How difficult would that be for me to make?

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/d8/4c/53/d84c53d89ccddb5c89b9b132bc2fdbfc.jpg

hows your wood working skills? basically a simple box with a door on front. finish work of paint or stain is what really makes the looks. construction  could be done with 5 1X12s cut same length 1 1X2 for door built like picture frame and bead paneling taked on from back top is another board little larger added for asthetics.

Paint; don’t stain.

A glossy white finish, inside and out.  Primer on the wood first.

i cannot address the idea of using a bread box.  I freeze fresh bread.

Cat Brules

Ziploc bags replaced the bread box.  We have real bread box handed down from my mother.   It turns out to be a place to hide stuff.  Only to be found again too late. 

It's amazing how quickly fresh baked bread goes bad.  The complete converse to how long commercial baked bread lasts.  

Calamity,

Check with Yul.

Bet he could create a one-of-a-kind bread box using his gun cart skills. ;)

image.png.fce36619a63039d7ba9bf7d687d03fad.png  :wub:

I usually just leave the bread out on the cutting board, tip it so the cut end is down against the board.  Stays reasonable for about 3 days and the last inch gets processed for bread crumbs.

I did find this when I searched wooden bread box:  
https://www.etsy.com/listing/556290003/unfinished-flush-side-pine-counter-top?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=unfinished+bread+boxes&ref=sr_gallery-1-7

Unfinished Flush Side Pine Counter top Bread Box with Top image 0

Honestly, if you have the skill to make that it wouldn’t be too hard provided you also had the required tools. 

If you are not skilled and do not have the tools the answer would be to buy one. 

The advantage of a bread box is it blocks light from the bread thus the bread lasts longer. 

They have a fair collection of bread boxes on Amazon, if you may wish to buy. My wife and I have this one:

Bamboo Bread Box Countertop Bread Storage Bread Box Kitchen Food Storage Box Bread Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SBM1GCZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eqFPEbC53KBQJ

I wish it was this one:

G.a HOMEFAVOR Bamboo Bread Box, 2 Layer Bread Bin for Kitchen, Large Capacity Wooden Bread Storage Holder, Countertop Bread Keeper, 15" x 9.8" x 14.2", Self Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WD7KPXB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TqFPEbCD4GGMD

Thanks for all the input.  I'm going to leave the woodworking to the experts and see if I can find something I like on Amazon.  Etsy had some nice items as well.

Many years ago, early one bleary-eyed winter morning, I staggered in to the kitchen.  Started the coffee, then picked up the store-bought loaf of bread - and let out a squeal when it started to move.  Bread boxes are danged good for keepin' the mice out!  ;)

2 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

i cannot address the idea of using a bread box.  I freeze fresh bread.

Makes it kinda crunchy, don' it?  :huh:  :rolleyes:

Many new & old metal & wood listed on E-Bay, also check Amazon, but with Amazon  be sure to check shipping times.

8 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Thanks for all the input.  I'm going to leave the woodworking to the experts and see if I can find something I like on Amazon.  Etsy had some nice items as well.

Keep Uno out of the looking...He might try and sell one he will build for you....

Texas Lizard

Archived