SASS Wire Forum

Finish on Uberti Cattleman grips?

gsp7

Whatever it is, it's sure slippery especially when yer hands get sweaty!:o

Refinish yourself --  a good covid-19 project!
Looks better too!

http://74.220.214.175/~dakotask/nick/longshotlogan.pdf

--Dawg

The red is stain.  The finish is sprayed polyurethane.  

Both can be removed with a good stripper, like CitriStrip or other premium strippers that are effective on urethane finish.   Use a plastic scraper with the stripper to get the job done quickly without removing wood.

Good luck, GJ

A good friend of mine did me a big favor. He took a pair of my uberti cap gun grips and refinished them as well as adding some metal. It’s interesting to see how nice some of the wood can be with decent grain after the red is gone. 

9DAE2BBF-81F4-466E-9E4A-ACEAA5C683CF.jpeg

BA942AC7-1953-41A7-B37F-11BC21EEC4F5.jpeg

95B81B6B-CB7A-45D8-A45C-360CFEAEC992.jpeg

DF266925-01D7-4E08-88D2-1E4CC8D75AA7.jpeg

E6CB8917-A04E-4061-9C25-523B297F96CB.jpeg

13 hours ago, Fence Cutter said:

I take off finishes with steel wool and then rub with Old English lemon oil. Looks a lot better and improves the grip considerably.

I've done the same except using minwax dark walnut oil to seal the wood.

I have a bunch of different Laural Mountain stains if I want to add a little stain and have Dalys teak and tung oil for my rifle stock work. But Ive been using linseed oil on alot of things lately and for a small piece of wood like a SA grip it will do nice

5 hours ago, Hendo said:

I did my pistols and my rifle. The poly sucks to get off, but they came out nice using Tru-oil.

Post up pics as you go.

20200407_181457.thumb.jpg.8fc4722ea725639608ff0da087ef13be.jpg

They came out good.  I did a second pair of grips the other day.  If I ever get caught up on the honey do list I may just tackle the shotgun.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 9:40 AM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Refinish yourself --  a good covid-19 project!
Looks better too!

http://74.220.214.175/~dakotask/nick/longshotlogan.pdf

--Dawg

I refinished mine by taking them and buying sets of checkered grips from Dawg.  Problem solved.

I'm looking for some info on some stay at home woodwork.   Seeing this thread makes me want to pull the wood on all four of my main match guns and try to refinish it so all of my gun wood matches,

Is that a realistic expectation?

1 hour ago, Chuck Steak said:

I'm looking for some info on some stay at home woodwork.   Seeing this thread makes me want to pull the wood on all four of my main match guns and try to refinish it so all of my gun wood matches,

Exactly match, as in each one looks identical? Maybe. There's some variables involved. 

What are your shooters?

Just one caveat about refinishing Uberti grips, the wood they use is very soft. It takes very little sanding for them to end up shrinking and leaving you with the frame standing proud of the grips afterwards. I refinished mine by using Jasco paint stripper and steel wool, which took the OEM finish right off with little effort. Follow with some light sanding to remove scratches, then straight to a new finish. I used a dark stain then Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil on mine and they came out looking great. Certainly a lot more authentic-looking than the shiny red originals!

3 hours ago, Chuck Steak said:

Seeing this thread makes me want to pull the wood on all four of my main match guns and try to refinish it so all of my gun wood matches,

Lotta work for very little improvement.  Now, if you have some guns that the factory urethane/varnish finish is dinged up and you can't stand them "looking like they have been shot in Cowboy matches,"   you might refinish those to switch to the softer but tougher and easier to touch up linseed and tung oil type finishes.   But doing all 4 match guns and hoping wood on Italian guns can be easily matched to wood on Turkish or Chinese guns and that those match your American revolvers?   THAT would indeed be a masters-class in refinishing!  Unless you just went with black stain on all of them.

Good luck, GJ

Archived