SASS Wire Forum

What IS This Thing?

Cat Brules

Does anyone know what this is?     .....Cat Brules

image.thumb.jpeg.938929d3c5cb982973d1077fd44cf889.jpeg

Yes, I thought about the geezer factor AFTER I posted it.  Oh well....

Cat Brules

Foot actuated ejection seat button?

The attention getter for on coming traffic??:D

1 hour ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Just one of two floor-mounted automotive switches I've dealt with.

Do you know what the other one would be?

Would that be the one to make said vehicle wake up and go “VROOM”??:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

Does anyone know what this is?     .....Cat Brules

image.thumb.jpeg.938929d3c5cb982973d1077fd44cf889.jpeg

First time I was driving a car that didn't have one I accidently hit the brights without knowing how I did it.  Spent 30 miles feeling around with my foot trying to find the switch and wondering how I had hit it without knowing.  Got to my brothers place - it was his car - and told him his brights were on and I couldn't turn them off. Then he showed me where the switch was.

We had a Chrysler that had one of those that changed radio stations!!  You could preset eight or ten stations and when you hit the switch it would move to the next station!

Had a Studebaker with one that switched it in and out of overdrive!

My 56 Ford PU with over drive had an under dash lever you pulled to actuate the OD and a foot switch under the gas pedal to switch it out of od when you mashed the gas down. Like a passing gear.....

10 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

We had a Chrysler that had one of those that changed radio stations!!  You could preset eight or ten stations and when you hit the switch it would move to the next station!

Had a Studebaker with one that switched it in and out of overdrive!

My uncle had a Cadillac that did the same thing! It was pretty cool!

You could control things with your foot, while keeping your hands on the wheel.  You could put in a new one for $10, not replace your $500 turn sign arm or computor mother  board for a grand after your diagnostics.    Original hands free device.    Enough for now , us dinosaurs need our nap!       GW

My ‘73 Ford F100 had the foot switch. So did my ‘68 Mustang. So did my ‘73 Plymouth Station Wagon.  
I never liked the headlight foot switches.
I like the switch high on the steering column. 

6 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Just one of two floor-mounted automotive switches I've dealt with.

Do you know what the other one would be?

Starter, I would imagine.

Had a 1953 Dodge with two buttons.  Depending on which one you pushed you either blinded an oncoming driver or pumped water through your windshield wipers.   I finally figured out that the water was on the right where I couldn't find a clutch.

Let's see.  If I go out to the garage I can look at one of those doohickey's on the floor of my Impala.  I'll have to test it one of these days.  Sometimes you have to pump real fast to get the windshield fluid to come out.

BS

14 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

Let's see.  If I go out to the garage I can look at one of those doohickey's on the floor of my Impala.  I'll have to test it one of these days.  Sometimes you have to pump real fast to get the windshield fluid to come out.

BS

I bought a new Plymouth Duster in ‘73. The base model had a squeeze bulb on the floor for the washers, right next to the dimmer switch. I paid $36 for the 3-speed wiper and electric washer combo. 

Back in the day in the patrol cars we had one for the lights and one for the old mechanical siren. You had to be careful. :lol:

51 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Had a 1953 Dodge with tow buttons.  Depending on which one you pushed you either blinded an oncoming driver or pumped water through your windshield wipers.   I finally figured out that the water was on the right where I couldn't find a clutch.

Whatsa tow button? :lol: Sorry, the Devil made me do it

JHC

I forgot about the manual washer fluid pump. I doubt the timeframes overlapped enough to have a dimmer, starter, and washer pump all in the same vehicle, not to mention the siren! It could have gotten a bit complicated. :lol:

19 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Most of my first vehicles had the floor dimmer switch, forget how the electric washer pump was actuated ,though. '65 'stang, '66 Fairlane, '66 stang:rolleyes::blush:

Likely a button protruding from the middle of the twist knob on the dash for the wipers. 

5 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I forgot about the manual washer fluid pump. I doubt the timeframes overlapped enough to have a dimmer, starter, and washer pump all in the same vehicle, not to mention the siren! It could have gotten a bit complicated. :lol:

Starter was a button on the dash just left of the radio.

Archived