SASS Wire Forum

Weird Sass Guns

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

A Colt SAA is not all that different from a Remington 75.  Colt Open Tops, S&W Model 3's, Rugers, most of the Cap & Ball revolvers and their conversions are what I think we can classify as "normal" pistols for use in our game.

The Henry, Winchesters, Marlins, even the Henry Big Boy, regardless of which you prefer or loathe, are the "normal" rifles used in our game.

But there are a handful of guns that when compared to these normal guns are downright weird to look at, and/or weird in the way they operate.

So with that in mind, what are, in the opinions of people here, the guns that can legitimately be considered to be weird options for our game?  You might think that said weirdness would be limited to genuine antiques that have never been reproduced, but that might not always be the case.

Right off the bat, I'll say that compared to the stuff we normally see, the Evans rifle is kinda weird, as is the Nagant revolver.  I'd also put the USFA Omni-Potent on the list, only because of what it is; a single action version of the Colt 1878, which was created as a double action version of the SAA.   What other weird things are out there in the hands and holsters of all of us, and how often do you shoot them?

An under-lever hammer double.

Never seen one used at a match, but they are cool hammerguns.

Husqvarna made alot of them

--Dawg

6 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Husqvarna made alot of them

--Dawg

When I lived in Maryland, there was a guy that used one regularly.

Doc

Merwin-Hulbert pistols, we used to shoot with a guy that had originals in .44-40, he was The Merwin Kid!

image.png.feba5f02d1a463df7b6254f3ba72d82a.pngimage.png.708fc5dd8d1405321612736ce99e03ec.png

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

The Merwin is a good candidate for weirdness.   The way you unload it is absolutely unique.  Here's mine...

393095719_MerwinHulbert.thumb.jpg.3b77458172f9c7da41c33110d73c34f1.jpg

Yes, it's a .44-40.

The LeMat is another good designated for weird design.

But...   What's so unusual about the above Ruger?

Not unusual,  I just think it looks weird.

Being able to single action my pre 1900 DA Webleys in a cas match would be a lot of fun. And they certainly rate as weird.  

Whitney-Kennedy "S" lever action in 44-40.

Still have a little work to do but it should be fun to shoot once in a while when I get it there.

I think it would be fun to coordinate a "slow-gun day" to bring out the more unusual guns.

6 hours ago, Earl Brasse, SASS #3562 said:

I think it would be fun to coordinate a "slow-gun day" to bring out the more unusual guns.

"Slow-gun day"?  Every time I shoot it's slow gun day.  :o :lol:

My AWA LIGHTNING barely qualifies as weird. My Pards call it my “Trombone gun”. 

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

My AWA LIGHTNING barely qualifies as weird. My Pards call it my “Trombone gun”. 

On the one hand, an AWA Lightning is my fave main match rifle.   I don't consider it weird at all.   Different perhaps from a lever gun but not weird.

However, if you wanna go that route, how about this...

1717944207_LightningBoltRig.thumb.JPG.5feafdc796226d12cf6dedc84d387eaa.JPG

Yep, I FOUND one!

2 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

On the one hand, an AWA Lightning is my fave main match rifle.   I don't consider it weird at all.   Different perhaps from a lever gun but not weird.

However, if you wanna go that route, how about this...

1717944207_LightningBoltRig.thumb.JPG.5feafdc796226d12cf6dedc84d387eaa.JPG

Yep, I FOUND one!

Yea, that’s a weird one alright! 
I rarely shoot my Lightning. Considering sellling it to fund another gun. Decisions decisions! 

Now nobody should be a Calling my Sweet Baby Hammered Under Lever 16 Ga. Husky, Weird !!!

Now I find the use of .38 spl. in FC Weird .... and even stranger .32 .....

Jabez Cowboy  

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

Yea, that’s a weird one alright! 
I rarely shoot my Lightning. Considering sellling it to fund another gun. Decisions decisions! 

You mean, you've got a Lightning, by AWA, and it DIDN'T become your favorite?  Wow...   :)

What caliber is it in?

I shot a Remington 1878 'Lifter' sxs for a couple of years.  The unlock tab raised instead of swiveling which put the hammers close together.  I miss that old double gun.

20151027_195337.jpg

On 4/25/2020 at 7:22 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Merwin-Hulbert pistols, we used to shoot with a guy that had originals in .44-40, he was The Merwin Kid!

image.png.feba5f02d1a463df7b6254f3ba72d82a.pngimage.png.708fc5dd8d1405321612736ce99e03ec.png

I've always wanted a pair of those short barrelled skull crushers 

36 minutes ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Anyone heard lately when the M-H revolvers will be shipping?  Sure seems like a long wait for me a pair???  Is there any truth that they will be available in ss soon?

I thought that project was DOA...?

On 4/26/2020 at 4:41 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

You mean, you've got a Lightning, by AWA, and it DIDN'T become your favorite?  Wow...   :)

What caliber is it in?

44-40 

2 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Anyone heard lately when the M-H revolvers will be shipping?  Sure seems like a long wait for me a pair???  Is there any truth that they will be available in ss soon?

They returned my deposit years ago. They aren’t going to build them.

15 hours ago, Hoss said:

44-40 

I've got one in that caliber.  

Two questions for you.   1.  Was the chamber ridiculously tight?  2.  Was there a spacer in the magazine that limited it to 10 rounds?

Mine had both of those problems.  Having the chamber polished fixed the first problem.   Number 2 made it VERY difficult to get the 9th and 10th rounds in, and twice I had the sprint push the round in under the carrier.   Since taking the spacer out, that has never happened again, and the 10 rounds go in with no difficulty.

27 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

I've got one in that caliber.  

Two questions for you.   1.  Was the chamber ridiculously tight?  2.  Was there a spacer in the magazine that limited it to 10 rounds?

Mine had both of those problems.  Having the chamber polished fixed the first problem.   Number 2 made it VERY difficult to get the 9th and 10th rounds in, and twice I had the sprint push the round in under the carrier.   Since taking the spacer out, that has never happened again, and the 10 rounds go in with no difficulty.

I've never had any trouble loading 10.  I dont know that I've tried 11.

Chambers are not tight.  I dont remember the bullet diameter i've been using, but I think they are .428.  I'll have to look at the box.  I could be wrong.  

18 hours ago, Slowhand Bob, 24229 said:

Where have you been? I got my Stainless Merwins a few years ago.

plIwkXBzj

plcAM7Ijj

If you include Plainsman guns it opens the discussion up to a lot of interesting rifles.  My favorite is my .577 Snider carbine. 

Seamus

image.thumb.jpg.b0f92d5da63a370d60285b7290cddae0.jpg

On 4/25/2020 at 6:32 PM, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Husqvarna made a lot of them

--Dawg

painfully slow. single shots run circles around them

A few years ago, soon after purchasing my 12" Colt in .44 Special, I saw an Uberti 18" in .45 Colt for around three hundred bucks.   Like an idiot, I didn't purchase it.  I have always regretted that.   

Saw a local fellow once shooting a pair 18" Buntlines gunfighter, not the guy above, and thought it was really cool.

Archived