SASS Wire Forum

7 Shooter Exception

Col Del Rio

This is the letter I sent to SASS HQ asking for an exception for Ruger 327 7 shooters.

I have never shot one, but I know of some folks who would benefit from a 32 caliber pistol. Until Ruger makes a 6 shooter for CAS in 327, I think the 7 shooter should be allowed.

Discuss. If I am wrong I am wrong. But I think allowances can and should be made.

Aloha,

I am writing to submit an exception to allow the 7 shot Ruger 327 revolver to be allowed for SASS matches.  The current handbook does not allow for anything but a 6 shooter (with one exception I believe) for sanctioned matches.

However, I think an exception for the New Model Single-Six / Single-Seven.  Many smaller shooters, youths, women and many older shooters would benefit from a 32 caliber pistol.  Also this would be advantageous for people who want to use a 32 caliber rifle such as a Henry.

Ruger products are well known to SASS members.  The 7 shot Ruger can be loaded with 5 rounds and used for CAS matches.   

We must look to the future and adapt current products in order to help recruit the next generation of shooters.

Mahalo,

Colonel Del Rio

The final "opinion" was that a seven-shot cartridge revolver is not allowed under current rules.

(August 2018). There was virtually no interest in changing the rules to accommodate them.

A "Firearm Modification Consideration" explaining the possible benefits of allowing them was never submitted (email inquiry only).

Allowing them would require a rule change pending approval by the Territorial Governors.

Previous discussion (2014) indicated no interest in approving an exception to the rules or adding the issue to the next TG Summit agenda for further discussion.

Handling of a 7-shot revolver would require additional oversight at the loading and unloading tables to verify that the revolver was "short-loaded" with only five rounds.

The ONLY benefit would be to those (very few) shooters who wish to use one or two in SASS competition.

ROC response - 09 NOV 2017/ AUG 2018

Parties interested in having modifications, parts, or firearms considered for approval and inclusion in the SASS accepted modification text can request a Firearms Modification Consideration application from SASS Headquarters.  Written receipt of acceptance from SASS will be the only source of approval.  Unless referenced within these Covenants, any modifications, parts, or firearms used without this approval are illegal.   

SHB p.34

6 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Parties interested in having modifications, parts, or firearms considered for approval and inclusion in the SASS accepted modification text can request a Firearms Modification Consideration application from SASS Headquarters.  Written receipt of acceptance from SASS will be the only source of approval.  Unless referenced within these Covenants, any modifications, parts, or firearms used without this approval are illegal.   

SHB p.34

Learned something new never new there was a form.  I imagine this would also be used by a shooter needing to modify a gun due to physical limitations.

Quote:

Parties interested in having modifications, parts, or firearms considered for approval and inclusion in the SASS accepted modification text can request a Firearms Modification Consideration application from SASS Headquarters.

Are their forms to request other rule changes?

32 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Quote:

Are there forms to request other rule changes?

No.

The process for rule changes takes a ground swell, and it takes time.  If clubs feel a rule should be changed, added or deleted your TG should first float the idea among your club members, then on the TG wire for discussion.  If the idea has merit, the issue can be made a TG Meeting Agenda item for further consideration and discussion.  This process takes time, and it should!  We should never move quickly to change existing rules and philosophies.....as we don't want to "tilt at windmills".  As a community we should react slowly, even to changes that are truly needed, and driven by the majority of the community...not passing fads.  We need to always do what is best for SASS and our game.

SOURCE

.32-20/.32 H&R mag convertibles are (or were) available in the smaller Model P Jr. frame. Single Six .32 H&R mags aren't hard to find either, and much more common than the Single Seven. I bought three on here last month for an average price of ~$565 each, one *as NIB* and the other two in *like new* condition.

I don't own a 7 shot Ruger .327, but have wondered if a  colored plug that would fill two side by side chambers which  could be seen from both ends of the cylinder could make the Ruger 7 shot into a five shot and therefore a legal SASS revolver By making the plug fill two chambers and being connected at the back of the cylinder it would require  the cylinder to be removed from the revolver to remove  plug.  Rugers come with that little yellow or orange  plastic disc at the back of the cylinder and the plug could be just big enough to cover two holes and would have two dowel like pieces to the end of two cylinders in the same color. Same concept could be used on a Ruger 10 shot 22 revolver or other brands that are 8 or 9 shot   

5 hours ago, Tulsey, SASS#11236 said:

I don't own a 7 shot Ruger .327, but have wondered if a  colored plug that would fill two side by side chambers which  could be seen from both ends of the cylinder could make the Ruger 7 shot into a five shot and therefore a legal SASS revolver By making the plug fill two chambers and being connected at the back of the cylinder it would require  the cylinder to be removed from the revolver to remove  plug.  Rugers come with that little yellow or orange  plastic disc at the back of the cylinder and the plug could be just big enough to cover two holes and would have two dowel like pieces to the end of two cylinders in the same color. Same concept could be used on a Ruger 10 shot 22 revolver or other brands that are 8 or 9 shot   

The ROC addressed a similar proposed modification back in 2016.
Doing so would require approval of a change to the current rules by a majority vote of the Territorial Governors.
The ROC vote regarding presenting it as an agenda item was a unanimous
NO.

Archived