SASS Wire Forum

Blackhorn 209 powder

3 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

I was told it is not legal as a black powder substitute.  After shooting it I would agree it makes very little smoke and is essentially a smokeless powder.  

I agree from the DuckDuckGo internet searches I found that it produces very little smoke do much so that rangers that ban black powered allow it.

Any combination of smokeless and blackpowder (so called duplex loads) is specifically prohibited in ANY category.  (e.g., Blackhorn 209).

SHB p.28

If you want to shoot a BP substitute try either American Pioneer Powder or 777.  I would stay away from Pyrodex causes guns to rust very quickly.  @Scarlett  Scarlett Darling sells APP (which I shoot and recommend for a sub), here's her website  https://bulletsbyscarlett.com

3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

If you want to shoot a BP substitute try either American Pioneer Powder or 777.  I would stay away from Pyrodex causes guns to rust very quickly.  @Scarlett  Scarlett Darling sells APP (which I shoot and recommend for a sub), here's her website  https://bulletsbyscarlett.com

X 2 for APP, good stuff!   SCJ

On 4/25/2020 at 2:55 AM, Tequila Shooter said:

I have read before on the wire from others that Pyrodex is bad for many reasons.  I shot Pyrodex Cartridge for years in my 45-70 Trapdoor with no issues.  Is the rusting issue maybe due to you living in Mississippi and I'm in Montana, very low humidity in this state.

1 minute ago, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

I have read before on the wire from others that Pyrodex is bad for many reasons.  I shot Pyrodex Cartridge for years in my 45-70 Trapdoor with no issues.  Is the rusting issue maybe due to you living in Mississippi and I'm in Montana, very low humidity in this state.

Could be, I never thought of it that way.  And you're right about the humidity, sometimes folks don't believe it when I tell'em that we can have 100% humidity and no rain.  I'm just glad I haven't started to rust :o :D

2 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Could be, I never thought of it that way.  And you're right about the humidity, sometimes folks don't believe it when I tell'em that we can have 100% humidity and no rain.  I'm just glad I haven't started to rust :o :D

Was born and raised in Cleveland Ohio, I am familiar with humidity, one big reason I now live out West:D

Archived