SASS Wire Forum

A man told me I made his year

Alpo

Guy up on the corner, maybe a quarter mile away. He appears to be older than I am. And in worse shape.

A couple of days ago as I was walking by his house I realized that I had not seen him lately. Also has HIS garbage can had not been at the street. And his car did not appear to have been moved. Or FOR at least a couple weeks.

I stopped,  banged on his door. Boy, he was in bad shape. He had had some kind of medical procedure on his right side. Plus he had broke his right thumb. Plus he'd had all his teeth pulled.

But he was still alive. And he thanked me for stopping by and checking on him.

Couple-three years ago, a policeman came banging on my kitchen window. I go out the front door to see what's going on, and my neighbor across the street had called the cops. She said she hadn't seen me for a couple of weeks and she was worried.

She apologized to me for calling the cops, but I told her I appreciated it. And remembering Faye being worried about me made me decide to stop and knock on his door. And I had already decided that if he did not answer his door I was going to talk to his next door neighbor and see if she had seen him lately.

It's not just the crud. Old people that live alone. Folks need to check on them once in awhile.

We did the same with our elderly neighbors. Their gone now but they all wanted my boy with them when things were bad. Even as a young boy he could talk to them and calm them. He's an EMT now. 

As a GOFWG myself, thanks for looking into our health and safety.

Today, I went to Safeway and was loading my car. There was an empty space next to me. I saw and watched an older (than me) man slumped over his steering wheel in the next car over.. I couldn't tell if he was okay or not. Finally, I went over and said, "Sir are you okay." He laughed and said he was just looking at the menu on his car.

I was somewhat embarrassed as he seemed to be too. Still I was relieved to not hear about him on the evening news.

27 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Guy up on the corner, maybe a quarter mile away. He appears to be older than I am. And in worse shape.

A couple of days ago as I was walking by his house I realized that I had not seen him lately. Also has HIS garbage can had not been at the street. And his car did not appear to have been moved. Or FOR at least a couple weeks.

I stopped,  banged on his door. Boy, he was in bad shape. He had had some kind of medical procedure on his right side. Plus he had broke his right thumb. Plus he'd had all his teeth pulled.

But he was still alive. And he thanked me for stopping by and checking on him.

Couple-three years ago, a policeman came banging on my kitchen window. I go out the front door to see what's going on, and my neighbor across the street had called the cops. She said she hadn't seen me for a couple of weeks and she was worried.

She apologized to me for calling the cops, but I told her I appreciated it. And remembering Faye being worried about me made me decide to stop and knock on his door. And I had already decided that if he did not answer his door I was going to talk to his next door neighbor and see if she had seen him lately.

It's not just the crud. Old people that live alone. Folks need to check on them once in awhile.

Sir, sometimes your posts make me roll my eyes. Sometimes they make me shake my head in disbelief. Sometimes they make me chuckle. This post not only serve as an incredibly important reminder, it warmed my heart. It also helps my confidence in humanity. Thanks.

Yesterday as I was walking the dog I thought I heard someone call out. I stopped, looked around, but didn't see anyone, so I started back tracing.

A house and a half back I saw someone up on the carport. So me and the dog go walking up in the yard, and woman looked up at me in surprise - she was on the phone - and I said, "Are you all right?"

She said she was, then let loose with a horrendous sneeze, which sounded exactly like the sound I had heard earlier.

And she thanked me for coming back to check.

People need to get out and about. Because I walk that idiot dog every day, and she INSISTS that anyone she sees must pet her, I know about half of the people in a half mile radius by sight, and they know me. My last house, I had lived there 25 years, and didn't even know my next door neighbor.

Something to share.

A few years back, I got sick and tried to die from what I was told.

I live alone and no body realize what happened until I recovered and told others.

I have a couple of friends that got very upset about all this.

A plan was put in place.

Every day between 6 am and 9 am I have to send a 1 word subject line text.

If I do not, they call the local sheriff and I get a visit.

This has happened 3 times since starting this.

I can see the car coming down the road from the pavement and I get a soda and a Gatoraid and meet them on the porch.

I have checked in very close to 9 am n occasion and I get an ear full by text.

It is nice to know someone is looking out for me.

I have call them when they do not respond by 9 am just to make sure they are okay.

A simple text every day to make sure some one is okay, (me) is worth every second it takes to send it.

Yeah, Alpo.  It’s good that you check on people.  My neighbor checks on me every couple weeks, if she misses seeing me out with my animals.  My wife usually shows up here once a day for a few minutes.  A good friend moved to Houston from Austin, into a high-rise condo.  I call him once a week to see if he’s okay.

Cat Brules

When I was on the job those were the worst calls.  I hated them.  I could tell you stories of people dead for weeks at a stretch before I found them, but the imagery is more than what is acceptable on this forum.  But I have a favorite -- sent to a 93 year-old lady's house because her out-of-state children couldn't get her to answer the phone or call them back.  The neighbors hadn't seen her in days.

"Oh great, another stinker," I told myself on the way there.  Miraculously, she answered the door and was in excellent health.

"Ma'am, am I glad to see you!" I greeted her.  I really hate dealing with dead bodies; it gets old after awhile.  

Archived