SASS Wire Forum

327 7 shooters

Col Del Rio

Are the Ruger 327   “New Model Single-Six® : Single-Seven™ “  SASS legal?

Does anyone here have experience with them?  

See Pg 40 of the Shooters handbook:

Revolver Cylinders
- Center-fire and rim-fire cylinders may have no less than five and no more than six 
chambers

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Revolver Cylinders
- Center-fire and rim-fire cylinders may have no less than five and no more than six 
chambers

See Pg 40 of the Shooters handbook:

But don't look on Pg 41 of the Shooters handbook ... where it says ... 

>

OTHER APPROVED FIREARMS

The following additional firearms have been approved for use: -

> snip < Original or replica Nagant Single Action Revolver > snip <

Because ... the Nagant Single Action Revolver has seven chambers.  :mellow:

5 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

But don't look on Pg 41 of the Shooters handbook ... where it says ... 

>

OTHER APPROVED FIREARMS

The following additional firearms have been approved for use: -

> snip < Original or replica Nagant Single Action Revolver > snip <

Because ... the Nagant Single Action Revolver has seven chambers.  :mellow:

By all means look, look through the whole handbook and the R0 manuals; lots of exceptions, but the Ruger Single 7 is not one of them.

2 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

By all means look, look through the whole handbook and the R0 manuals; lots of exceptions, but the Ruger Single 7 is not one of them.

+1 .. for sure ... I just wanted to point out that it was entirely possible (per the curent rules) to encounter a 7 shot revolver. 

Someone who wants to shoot these should appeal for them to be added to the "OTHER APPROVED FIREARM" list ... 

They look plenty Cowboy .. and would work just fine ... load them w/ 5 rounds and move on.

Load one ... skip two .. load the other four ... 

IIRC these made a pass before but possibly got a knee-jerk vote from some who didn't realize that another 7 shot revolver was already being allowed.

Of course this would impact demand/value of 6 shot single sixes ... (currently out of production) ...   

There was no "knee jerk" reaction to the numerous inquiries regarding approval of this revolver.
Those responding to the question were/are well aware of the specific exception for the Nagant.

8 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

There was no "knee jerk" reaction to the numerous inquiries regarding approval of this revolver.
Those responding to the question were/are well aware of the specific exception for the Nagant.

That's great to hear those responding were well aware that the 7 shot Nagant was already allowed ... but a quote from the referenced "Del Rio" thread says ....

Handling of a 7-shot revolver would require additional oversight at the loading and unloading tables to verify that the revolver was "short-loaded" with only five rounds.

The ONLY benefit would be to those (very few) shooters who wish to use one or two in SASS competition.

ROC response - 09 NOV 2017/ AUG 2018

Those sure seems like some very good reasons to not allow a 7 shot revolver ... but .. it makes you wonder why those very same reasons weren't an issue when it was decided to allow the Nagant????!

Just sayin' ... ??? :mellow: 

25 minutes ago, Patagonia Pete said:

That's great to hear those responding were well aware that the 7 shot Nagant was already allowed ... but a quote from the referenced "Del Rio" thread says ....

Handling of a 7-shot revolver would require additional oversight at the loading and unloading tables to verify that the revolver was "short-loaded" with only five rounds.

The ONLY benefit would be to those (very few) shooters who wish to use one or two in SASS competition.

ROC response - 09 NOV 2017/ AUG 2018

Those sure seems like some very good reasons to not allow a 7 shot revolver ... but .. it makes you wonder why those very same reasons weren't an issue when it was decided to allow the Nagant????!

Just sayin' ... ??? :mellow: 

The earliest reference I can find to the Nagant revolver in my archives (without manually searching non-digital copies of the SHB) is in the 2006 version.
IIRC, the approval was made at a TG Summit based on the availability of very low-priced surplus arms being imported at that time.

I don't recall all of the details from the discussion prior to that approval.

1 minute ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The earliest reference I can find to the Nagant revolver in my archives (without manually searching non-digital copies of the SHB) is in the 2006 version.
IIRC, the approval was made at a TG Summit based on the availability of very low-priced surplus arms being imported at that time.

I don't recall all of the details from the discussion prior to that approval.

Thanks for the response ...

Yep ... OK ... OK ... I remember when those things were really popular and flooding the C&R market ... s10.gif.6022aba8fb757feb61c7fb5a1dc53990.gif  

10 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

Thanks for the response ...

Yep ... OK ... OK ... I remember when those things were really popular and flooding the C&R market ... s10.gif.6022aba8fb757feb61c7fb5a1dc53990.gif  

The Nagant is WHY I got my C&R to begin with.

And in spite of everything, they are very nice guns to shoot.

What I would like to see is if Ruger can get 7 32s in a single six you would think they could get 6 38 specials.  A few custom gun makers do this conversion but obviously pricey.    A mild 38 in the lighter and smaller frame  single six would be nice. I have written Ruget but of course got the usual thank you for the input.

3 hours ago, LostVaquero said:

What I would like to see is if Ruger can get 7 32s in a single six you would think they could get 6 38 specials.  A few custom gun makers do this conversion but obviously pricey.    A mild 38 in the lighter and smaller frame  single six would be nice. I have written Ruget but of course got the usual thank you for the input.

I have had two of the Single Sevens and can say that the loading gate is too small for a 38. All they did is adapt the Single Six 22. Even then interference fit at the loading gate was a common problem with the early Single Sevens. It's really close. A six shot version wouldn't be any better.

2 hours ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I have had two of the Single Sevens and can say that the loading gate is too small for a 38. All they did is adapt the Single Six 22. Even then interference fit at the loading gate was a common problem with the early Single Sevens. It's really close. A six shot version wouldn't be any better.

Ah, thank you.  Just seemed to me possible but did not think about the gate.

The loading gate is not too small, I had a pair of Single Six's converted to 38's by Happy Trails many years ago, it's a tight fit but they worked fine.  Wish I still had them.

On April 25, 2020 at 4:27 PM, Fireball #7709 Life said:

The loading gate is not too small, I had a pair of Single Six's converted to 38's by Happy Trails many years ago, it's a tight fit but they worked fine.  Wish I still had them.

What'd you do... trade them?

.38 spl Single Six's would be neat.

2 hours ago, WOLFY said:

What'd you do... trade them?

.38 spl Single Six's would be neat.

Sold them.  I wanted them for CAS, I thought the smaller frame would be light and fast, they were, but they were also quite "snappy" in recoil with even very light loads because of the lightweight.  Also, they were very bullet limited, the cylinders are very short and require a very short or deeply seated bullet.  In retrospect, they'd of made neat carry guns.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:27 PM, Fireball #7709 Life said:

I shoot with a guy that has a pair of these and boy does he struggle to unload them at the unloading table. Many times he’ll be trying to unload them when the next shooter shows up at the table.

11 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I shoot with a guy that has a pair of these and boy does he struggle to unload them at the unloading table. Many times he’ll be trying to unload them when the next shooter shows up at the table.

Be quicker to just pull the cylinders & dump 'um  :-)  I have shot them a bunch & they're hard enough to get .32's out of .......

On 4/29/2020 at 8:00 AM, Yul Lose said:

Usually a light "deburr/chamfer" on the recoil plate and loading gate opening(on the cylinder side) helps tremendously.  removing that sharp edge helps a lot.  I've had a lot of 32's, have a 327 and the one set of 38's and this made a big difference.  SA's aren't known for speed loading anyway, thats why we carry a second one and a rifle and a shotgun!LOL

Archived