SASS Wire Forum

The hidden cost of COVID

Since the beginning of the COVID situation, Knox County, TN has lost more citizens to suicide than to COVID. This includes two local restaurateurs who took their own life. 

These are complicated times with no easy answers, but I continue praying for wisdom, cool heads, and science-based decisions from our leaders. 

And the suspension of ongoing treatments.   My BIL has been fighting various forms of skin cancer for years.  He has been going for some kind of treatment weekly.  Snip, snip here, biopsy there, chemo, on and on.  He was scheduled for more surgery when this hit.  But has been interrupted now for months.

I chipped a corner off a molar a month ago.  Normally I'd rush in and get it tended to as, for one,  the sharp edge is rasping my tongue.  But more importantly,   the chipped off corner could lead to more serious damage.  But no,  the dentist office is closed. 

I have a follow up appointment with my neurosurgeon who did the operations on my back.  We have mutually changed it to a telephone appointment, which I told them they could charge for.  I asked them to check on that and make sure that  my insurance would pay for it.  I’m pretty sure they will.  They do it for my wife’s neurosurgeon.

Cat Brules

But remember in March, when someone made a comment to the effect that trying to prevent deaths from the virus could wind up causing more deaths because of the economy? The media collectively gasped at the inhumanity of such a thought and almost had to climb over each other to let the public know what they should think about it.

And what's it going to do to sports if this "social distancing" become pervasive?  Spectaculars 6' apart in stadiums?  Can people be allowed to play contact sports like football,  soccer,  basketball, etc?  Can't tag a guy out, you'll be too close. 

Grandpa,  tell me what it was like to play softball when you were a kid. 

Calamity Myke ( my pard ) had a pre existing appointment with her M.D.  The office called her a day before the appointment and told her all office appointments were canceled and the M.D. would call her on the appointment day and do a phone consultation.   He did that and extended all appropriate prescriptions, sending info to the pharmacy.  The prescriptions were delivered by an pharmacy employee in a has-mat suit.  All worked out Ok. 

I tune pianos for a living, well I'm semi retired collect SS so I've been doing this part time for a few years. During bust times I do no more than 2 a day. I was cutting it down to 3-4 days a week. This month I've done 2 all month! I have one booked for the second week in May. If they're okay with me coming to their house I'm okay too! 

I can get by with my SS and savings but that extra money sure did help. I hope this starts breaking up soon! I need another Colt!!:P

22 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I chipped a corner off a molar a month ago.  Normally I'd rush in and get it tended to as, for one,  the sharp edge is rasping my tongue.  But more importantly,   the chipped off corner could lead to more serious damage.  But no,  the dentist office is closed. 

I lost a filling last week.  No pain, I could eat, but I left a message on my dentist’s answering machine.  They did a quick repair job yesterday.  If your dentist doesn’t take care of emergencies I’d look for another.

37 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

I lost a filling last week.  No pain, I could eat, but I left a message on my dentist’s answering machine.  They did a quick repair job yesterday.  If your dentist doesn’t take care of emergencies I’d look for another.

I'll wait. 

Let's see... over 36 thousand new cases yesterday.  More than 53 thousand dead so far.  

I'll wait too.

I figured going to a medical professional’s small office in which the staff and doctor are masked and gloved is less risk than going grocery shopping.  If I drop out of touch in a couple of weeks you will know I was wrong!  ;)

11 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I tune pianos for a living, well I'm semi retired collect SS so I've been doing this part time for a few years. During bust times I do no more than 2 a day. I was cutting it down to 3-4 days a week. This month I've done 2 all month! I have one booked for the second week in May. If they're okay with me coming to their house I'm okay too! 

I can get by with my SS and savings but that extra money sure did help. I hope this starts breaking up soon! I need another Colt!!:P

Would never have thought there would be that many piano's around to tune.  Did you have to do alot of traveling for this?

5 minutes ago, Cemetery said:

Would never have thought there would be that many piano's around to tune.  Did you have to do alot of traveling for this?

Not really, 40 miles at the very most, When I was tuning more or less full time I was doing 3-4 a day! There's repair involved also where you remove the action/hammer assembly and bring it home to repair or replace hammers and other parts. Restringing is a big job ($$$) I would do that where the piano is. It's a surprisingly a good business, pianos don't die they practically last forever if they're taken care of. I live in a suburb of Cleveland and I service 5 counties in the Cleveland/Metro area. I also tune for 2 piano dealers, Steinway and a Kawai dealer and also a used piano dealer. It's been a good business for 34 years!

21 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I've got one for you to tune Rye. Long as you pay the shipping back and forth from AZ, and give me the Cowboy discount.

kR

If you send me enough money to cover the cost of a plane ticket round trip and one night in a hotel I'll tune your piano for FREE! I'll even clean and sanitize the keys when I'm done!!;)

6 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

If you send me enough money to cover the cost of a plane ticket round trip and one night in a hotel I'll tune your piano for FREE! I'll even clean and sanitize the keys when I'm done!!;)

If I'm gonna take advantage of yer generosity I am now goin to havta by a piano. Do give lessons?

kR

When this all kicked off I was scheduled for surgery on my spine on April 2nd. Herniated disc pressing on nerves in spinal column. It affects my sciatica area and my right leg. It also affected my hip. I have been walking with a pronounced limp for going on 6 weeks. This is affecting my hips and lower back. I have partial “drop foot”. 
I am afraid if I don’t get the surgery soon I will have permanent nerve, muscle and joint damage. 

This CoVid Crisis is definitely having impacts in many areas of life. Unfortunately it has also has an effect on lesser intelligent beings like politicians and news reporters. It causes them to seek more attention through sensationalization and bureaucrat means and they therefore cause panic and knee jerk policies and laws. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

When this all kicked off I was scheduled for surgery on my spine on April 2nd. Herniated disc pressing on nerves in spinal column. It affects my sciatica area and my right leg. It also affected my hip. I have been walking with a pronounced limp for going on 6 weeks. This is affecting my hips and lower back. I have partial “drop foot”. 
I am afraid if I don’t get the surgery soon I will have permanent nerve, muscle and joint damage. 

This CoVid Crisis is definitely having impacts in many areas of life. Unfortunately it has also has an effect on lesser intelligent beings like politicians and news reporters. It causes them to seek more attention through sensationalization and bureaucrat means and they therefore cause panic and knee jerk policies and laws. 

Does your Dr. know it is getting worse?  Preventing permanent nerve damage is not elective surgery.

4 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Does your Dr. know it is getting worse?  Preventing permanent nerve damage is not elective surgery.

He will know tomorrow. I am going to call them. 

1 hour ago, wildphilhickup said:

COVID19 - The Greatest SCAM ever perpetuated on planet Earth.

*Shi Zhengli

Over thirty thousand new cases a day.  Fifty-five thousand already dead.  But it's just a hoax?  Well... I'll just have to pass that on to my niece, the ICU RN whose unit was turned into a COVID-19 ward several weeks ago.  I'm sure she'll be delighted to hear the news.  <_<

4 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

If I'm gonna take advantage of yer generosity I am now goin to havta by a piano. Do give lessons?

kR

Lessons on tuning or playing??? :lol: You said you HAD a piano! Hey, no prolemo, I can ship a piano out to you. I got a nice Baldwin console for $1000.00 shipping would be about $1500. Want it??:P

IMG_1402.JPG

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Over thirty thousand new cases a day.  Fifty-five thousand already dead.  But it's just a hoax?  Well... I'll just have to pass that on to my niece, the ICU RN whose unit was turned into a COVID-19 ward several weeks ago.  I'm sure she'll be delighted to hear the news.  <_<

Might also want to tell these fine folks that the virus that killed or harmed their friends and family that COVID19 is a scam.

Birdgun Quail

Cold Lake Kid

Rye Miles

Yul Lose

Barbwire Benn 

Colorado Coffinmaker

A few others that I have forgotten and I apologized for that.

Oh, don't forget to tell the families and friends of the 55,000+ that have died so far that this all a scam.

I don't know why Shi Zhengli's name is mentioned. She and her pals in China are responsible for this virus or scam as you put it.:angry:

5 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Might also want to tell these fine folks that the virus that killed or harmed their friends and family that COVID19 is a scam.

Birdgun Quail

Cold Lake Kid

Rye Miles

Yul Lose

Barbwire Benn 

Colorado Coffinmaker

A few others that I have forgotten and I apologized for that.

Oh, don't forget to tell the families and friends of the 55,000+ that have died so far that this all a scam.

I don't know why Shi Zhengli's name is mentioned. She and her pals in China are responsible for this virus or scam as you put it.:angry:

My ex sister law died and was counted as a COVID death. She was admitted because of breathing problems and lung infection that she's had consistently over the last 3-4 years. She was in a wheelchair from a stroke 5 years ago. She was down to 87 lbs. She was 78 yrs old. She was tested positive for COVID 3 days before she died! She didn't die because of the VIRUS! They are lying about the COVID deaths! I'm not saying it's nothing but I truly believe it's been overblown!

Dr. Birx and Dr, Fauci admitted that all deaths will be counted as COVID deaths even if they died from something else as long as they were tested positive for the virus! Something's real fishy here!!

14 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

My ex sister law died and was counted as a COVID death. She was admitted because of breathing problems and lung infection that she's had consistently over the last 3-4 years. She was in a wheelchair from a stroke 5 years ago. She was down to 87 lbs. She was 78 yrs old. She was tested positive for COVID 3 days before she died! She didn't die because of the VIRUS! They are lying about the COVID deaths! I'm not saying it's nothing but I truly believe it's been overblown!

Dr. Birx and Dr, Fauci admitted that all deaths will be counted as COVID deaths even if they died from something else as long as they were tested positive for the virus! Something's real fishy here!!

I was just going from memory on the names, sometimes memory can be "foggy". Sorry if I included your name erroneously.

I agree, something is fishy about this whole thing but I am 100% sure that the virus is not a scam or hoax.

33 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I agree, something is fishy about this whole thing but I am 100% sure that the virus is not a scam or hoax.

The virus is real enough.  But this whole pandemic thing is is man made and is doing damage to our society. 

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I was just going from memory on the names, sometimes memory can be "foggy". Sorry if I included your name erroneously.

It's not a scam or hoax but it is the biggest mistake that we've made ever! We've ruined the economy and people's lives!

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

It's not a scam or hoax but it is the biggest mistake that we've made ever! We've ruined the economy and people's lives!

I agree entirely. This has put the economy in the worst shape it has EVER been in, including the Great Depression. I've said it before, I'll say it again.....they only country that has anything to gain from our economic or the world's economic collapse is the Chinese. They've accomplished their goal and our government has been unwittingly or not, complicit. People's lives have been forever changed. I don't know anyone who's life has been changed for the better....only the worse.

Maybe I shouldn't respond to the COVID threads at all. That might be the best choice.

50 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I agree entirely. This has put the economy in the worst shape it has EVER been in, including the Great Depression. I've said it before, I'll say it again.....they only country that has anything to gain from our economic or the world's economic collapse is the Chinese. They've accomplished their goal and our government has been unwittingly or not, complicit. People's lives have been forever changed. I don't know anyone who's life has been changed for the better....only the worse.

Maybe I shouldn't respond to the COVID threads at all. That might be the best choice.

+ 100000;)

Oldest son works at a large factory is working overtime.  Youngest granddaughter works at Lowe's in city north of Huston is working overtime.   Other granddaughter that works at Toco Bell is working steady hours.  Son that's a nurse in an urgent care facility north of Minneapolis is on furlough for two weeks due to low client turnout. 

Archived