SASS Wire Forum

185 gr. Hornady XTP loads for .45 Colt?

I would like to load some 185 grain Hornady XTP hollow points for 45 Colt woods loads. These would be used mainly in a Uberti 73 rifle as a "fired once in a while load" as opposed to a steady diet thing (the 73 is a cabin gun). Hodgdon doesn't list 185 grain bullets of any kind in their reloading data for 45 Colt. I don't want to wreck the action of my rifle so I want appropriate loads, but I do like the performance of the XTP bullets. Can anyone help? I currently have Bullseye, Clays, 700-x, Unique and 231 on hand.

Thanks! 

14 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I would like to load some 185 grain Hornady XTP hollow points for 45 Colt woods loads. These would be used mainly in a Uberti 73 rifle as a "fired once in a while load" as opposed to a steady diet thing (the 73 is a cabin gun). Hodgdon doesn't list 185 grain bullets of any kind in their reloading data for 45 Colt. I don't want to wreck the action of my rifle so I want appropriate loads, but I do like the performance of the XTP bullets. Can anyone help? I currently have Bullseye, Clays, 700-x, Unique and 231 on hand.

Thanks! 

I don't see any Hornady listing for an XTP 45 Colt bullet below 240 grain (9th Edition or website). My supply of 45 Colt rifle ammo is Leverevolution (225g)

3 hours ago, linn county ranger,sass#34021 said:

Why not use 200 gr. https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol. Or you may have to get a Honady reloading manual.

'Cause 185 and 250 are all I can find around here, and I don't want to pay shipping on that small an order. And I'd really like to not spend the money on a loading manual for a one off load experiment if I can keep from it. I guess I'm just cheap... :D

48 minutes ago, Roscoe Regulator said:

I don't see any Hornady listing for an XTP 45 Colt bullet below 240 grain (9th Edition or website). My supply of 45 Colt rifle ammo is Leverevolution (225g)

Thanks for the info.

Hornady makes a 225 gr for 45 Colt. The 185 gr is basically for the 45 acp, so the bullet doesn’t have a cannelure. Take care that the crimp you put on it is sufficient.

37 minutes ago, Canton Chris said:

Hornady makes a 225 gr for 45 Colt. The 185 gr is basically for the 45 acp, so the bullet doesn’t have a cannelure. Take care that the crimp you put on it is sufficient.

I use a Lee Factory Crimp die on all of my reloads. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

I use a Lee Factory Crimp die on all of my reloads. Thanks!

Charlie, thats all good and well.

But, here is something you need to consider:

Factory crimp dies for .45 Colt might be set to crimp in a 'crimp groove' or cannelure.

Using a bullet with no cannelure and crimping with a die used for Cannelure's will distort your bullet.

It will basically create a slight 'curve' in its shape.  And although I don't know for sure, but it could give you

a much tighter crimp because in effect, it will be biting into the bullet.  In such a case, your pressure will also increase.

Just a thought.

..........Widder

1 hour ago, Canton Chris said:

The 225 is not an XTP like he wanted, but yeah, it would mirror the Leverevolution ammo.

Thanks for your input, folks. I will definitely keep it all in mind as I'm sneaking up on this project. 

After loading a few last night and playing with OAL, crimp, etc. I’ve pretty much decided to save the 185’s for ACP loads and get a different weight for the 45 Colt rifle loads. The 185’s cycled fine but I’m just not happy with the whole picture. Thanks again for all of your input, folks. 

Archived