SASS Wire Forum

Recommendation for 1873 SRC

Lone Rider SASS#32091

Would like a 73 SRC In 45 colt. Looks like my choices are Taylor’s or Cimarron  unless I’m missing something. Looking for any input in the differences etc. I know it needs to hold 10 rounds so it looks like the 19 inch barrel will fit that need. I am not interested in a Winchester, prefer the uberti. Thanks for your help.

Both great supporters of SASS.  I have often thought wood on 73s was prettier from Cim but then seemed price from Taylor might been tad less.  When a dealer (dropped ffl last month after store having one since beginning of ffls) I predominantly used Cimarron for CAS guns like 73s because in Texas and I had good relation with Mike Harvey and company.  I must say that Tammy and gang at Taylor were sure nice to me though, even though Cim my primary CAS gun dealer.  Both exception folks with great products..

Taylor’s or Cimmaron or a plain Uberti ( I believe they’re Stoeger) I would suggest you DON’T get a factory slicked up version. Get a stock rifle and buy a short stroke kit and have a gunsmith install it or yourself if you’re a mind to it!

If you know you are going to have your 73 slicked up, and I sure suggest you do, then choose your smith and ask him his turn key price.  Smith are usually, and understandingly,  making their profit from their work so mark-up from wholesale rifle purchase is probably very minimal.  You will of course be getting importer of smith's usual dealer trade (more than likely Cimarron or Taylor), but they might be open to your choice.  Unless you are a dealer then you may really be saving in the long run due to the smith's dealer buying discount.  Lots of really good 73 smiths to choose from and differences in some of their options to short strokes (cut/weld. 3 gen, 5th gen, C&I, Pioneer, etc).  The list will get lengthy from Lefty Wheeler, Jim Bowie (C&I), Longhunter, Boomstick, Cody Conagher,  Jimmy Spur, Harlan W, Cowboy C, and on & on. 

Miroku Makes the Winchester marked guns for Winchester.  They are what they are.  They are really nice rifles.  Taylors, Cimarron, Stoeger, Dixie et all, are importers and distributors.  Uberti Make ALL the 1873 replica rifles for ALL of those importers.  Pick the best price.  Best of Luck.

9 hours ago, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

I am not interested in a Winchester, prefer the uberti. Thanks for your help.

Ubertis are good guns.  Takes some effort to make them "modern SASS race" ready.  Having rebuilt all of mine to one level or another.    I then decided I wanted a gun that I didn't have to do anything to but load and shoot.

All the romance of a Uberti being closer to a original Winchester is gone by the time you short stroke, add a lwt lifter and tune it.

If you don't mind me asking,  just curious as to  why  you aren't looking at the Winchester SRC?

No aftermarket parts (or any unless they have fixed that) for the Japanese Winchester. That's why I sold the two I had. Great guns no support network for SASS. It's a better rifle but not if you want to modify it. 

I don’t mind you asking. I am not looking at the Winchester because I do not want a rifle that is shortstroked when I purchase it. All of my rifles are stock and I prefer this one to be the same. I realize it won’t be race ready but that doesn’t interest me right now. l like shooting like they did “in the old days” or as close as it is with a modern stock rifle. I know that puts me at a disadvantage but I’m OK with that. I’ve never shot at a NCOWS meet but it interests me also and I don’t believe the new Winchester is allowed. As you can probably tell I am not a top shooter. I feel like I can get it modified at a later date if I decide to.

You almost can't make a wrong decision,  Lone Rider.

I really like my 73 SRC (uberti - cimarron).  It's stock except for having the short .44 modification.  

My other toggle link rifle is a 66 (uberti - EMF).  Uberti makes some great lever guns.

I was lookin at it the 66 just the other day and it got me wondering, "Whatever happened to EMF?"

“ I was lookin at it the 66 just the other day and it got me wondering, "Whatever happened to EMF?"

by WOLFY “

===============

EMF, of course, is an importer along the lines of Taylor’s and Cimmaron.  EMF is located in Southern California (Sant Ana, CA).  Their website is below.

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/About-Us-d1.htm

Cat Brules

I've had to deal with Cimarron customer service once.  I won't do it again.

Never heard a bad word about Taylor's customer service.

On 4/24/2020 at 3:10 PM, Lone Rider SASS#32091 said:

All of my rifles are stock and I prefer this one to be the same. I realize it won’t be race ready but that doesn’t interest me right now.

If you want to keep it stock you should handle, cycle and choose the rifle in a shop. I have two Uberti 1873, both in .45 Colt. One ran already quite satisfying out of the box, the other noticeably stiffer and needed more work.

5 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

I've had to deal with Cimarron customer service once.  I won't do it again.

Never heard a bad word about Taylor's customer service.

I've had great service except for one time so I'll forgive them for that. It was a Commanchero that was a cut and weld and it was jamming up constantly. I sent it back and when it returned it did the same darn thing. I wound up getting a C&I short stroke and I had to get a NEW LEVER and had a friend of mine (good gunsmith) install it. I was really disappointed in Taylor's and it taught me a lesson, never ever buy an already slicked up gun from them or anyone unless it's a used gun from a cowboy shooter you know. 

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've had great service except for one time so I'll forgive them for that. It was a Commanchero that was a cut and weld and it was jamming up constantly. I sent it back and when it returned it did the same darn thing. I wound up getting a C&I short stroke and I had to get a NEW LEVER and had a friend of mine (good gunsmith) install it. I was really disappointed in Taylor's and it taught me a lesson, never ever buy an already slicked up gun from them or anyone unless it's a used gun from a cowboy shooter you know. 

I bought brand new pistols.  When received the timing was off.  I had to send them back on my own dime.  When I received them back, they were better, but timing is still not as it should be.  I tried to talk to Mike Harvey at the SHOT Show after this and he got very defensive and started telling me what "should" have happened.  No thanks.

Edit to add: these were the Eliminator 8 pistols.  I had a pair in .357 and in .45.  I sold the pair of .357 at a considerable loss.  The .45's are in the safe but I don't trust them to a match and I'm not ready to send them to a gunsmith.

On 4/24/2020 at 5:35 AM, Cowboy Junky said:

No aftermarket parts (or any unless they have fixed that) for the Japanese Winchester. That's why I sold the two I had. Great guns no support network for SASS. It's a better rifle but not if you want to modify it. 

That’s no longer true. There are short stroke kits for them and guys like Cody can also short stroke them. Personally I don’t feel like mine Needs short stroked. The stroke already comes pretty short and is very nice right out of the box. Been shooting one for 3-4 years or so and it’s never failed me. Every Uberti I’ve had needed work and had something break. 

On 4/24/2020 at 8:11 AM, levi littleton said:

Thanks, that makes perfect sense to me :)  I have a family gun from 1890 which started my  interest in 1873s.    I really appreciate how the originals handle.  It is more they way I would prefer a lever gun to feel and how I like to shoot them.

1890? I have his older brother born in 1887. We should get those two together sometime 

Archived