SASS Wire Forum

Puzzling Message From The NRA

Cypress Sun

Received America's 1st Freedom magazine today. On the cover it has a picture of LaPierre under which says URGENT MESSAGE FROM WAYNE LAPIERRE P8.

Page 8 is as follows;

As a result of the unprecedented crisis now facing America and the world, I have been forced to make drastic changes in NRA operations during these pas few weeks.

If you have not already received it, you will soon receive a letter from me detailing these changes, what they mean to you and our Association.

The future of this organization - and the future of the Second Amendment - depends on you reading this letter.

Please look for my message in the mail shortly. I wish you and your family the blessing of good health at this time.

Wayne LaPierre

I cannot under stand why on Earth he had to take two color pages to tell members to look in the mail for something that could have been printed in the magazine and would not require extra paper, printing and postage costs. I'm sure that it is a funds solicitation, as usual, but why waste the money that they claim is short supply on what could have been taken care of in ONE printing and mailing.

Sorry folks, it's just that they waste far too much donated funds on doing redundant stuff like this instead of using the funds where it is most needed. Will I donate to them and other gun rights organizations....yes, I will. Just irks the hell out me that they waste donations in this manner.

Rant over.

Considering the amount of donor's money, spent on Monsieur La Pierre's House, Automobile, Clothing and Travel, I wouldn't give them a DIME.  What a waste.  Sand down a Rat Hole.

He does NOT seem to conserve funds       GW

Got mine, it's about the pay cuts and furloughs in the Org. and begging for more money. It's the third letter in a couple weeks for me. Think how much they could save if they stopped all the mailings.

21 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Got mine, it's about the pay cuts and furloughs in the Org. and begging for more money. It's the third letter in a couple weeks for me. Think how much they could save if they stopped all the mailings.

That's what I thought it would be.

Really sad that LaPierre, the BOD and the NRA care more about themselves than they do their members and more importantly, the issues facing every gun owner today. LaPierre @ $2.2 million, Cox @ $1+ million and in decreasing numbers from there. I really believe that it is WAY past time for a change in the upper management at the NRA. I think that I'll belay any donation to the NRA until such time and donate instead to organizations that really believe in Second Amendment rights and are willing to fight for them........ instead of worrying about their paycheck.

I will send them some money. They are the biggest dog we got. I want to keep them going. I wish the NRA would use some common sense with their mailings and communications. I haven’t paid a whole lot of attention to what is going on in the head office. Regardless, I think it be a shame to lose them through apathy. 

I joined FPC with $100 last week. 

18 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I will send them some money. They are the biggest dog we got. I want to keep them going. I wish the NRA would use some common sense with their mailings and communications. I haven’t paid a whole lot of attention to what is going on in the head office. Regardless, I think it be a shame to lose them through apathy. 

I joined FPC with $100 last week. 

I agree Pat, the NRA is run by humans and therefore it’s not perfect but they are the big dog in our fight and I will continue to support them as much as I can. SAF and GOA are also good partners in the fight against the antigun crowd!

13 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I agree Pat, the NRA is run by humans and therefore it’s not perfect but they are the big dog in our fight and I will continue to support them as much as I can. SAF and GOA are also good partners in the fight against the antigun crowd!

Yup same here, you find an organization that has more muscle, fortitude  and clout as the NRA in matters concerning the 2nd. Amendment please let me know, until then I will continue to fund them.   SCJ

We just got a lawsuit in our favor in CA.
A federal judge put a halt to ammo background checks.

This successful lawsuit was NOT brought by the NRA, but the CRPA.
GOA, GOC and CRPA are the organizations actively litigating to protect our firearm rights.
NRA is actively badgering us for more donations, and living like rajahs.
I am a (disappointed) NRA Life member.

BUT..... with receiving a donation request thru the mail, and not the magazine, you get a return, self addressed envelope.

Now, doesn't that make you feel better... :D

I'm a Life Member of NRA, but they lost me as a reliable donator a few years ago because they stopped sending me their

magazine and I got tired of calling them to remind them I ain't dead..... and would like to get my magazine.

I still don't get the magazine..... and I still do not donate, for various reasons.

..........Widder

19 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Think how much they could save if they stopped all the mailings.

I've always thought the same thing. It seemed like every time I'd rejoin at a gun show, there'd be a renewal notice in the mailbox by the time I got home. And another one every couple weeks for the next year.

26 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I'm a Life Member of NRA, but they lost me as a reliable donator a few years ago because they stopped sending me their

magazine and I got tired of calling them to remind them I ain't dead..... and would like to get my magazine.

I still don't get the magazine..... and I still do not donate, for various reasons.

..........Widder

Exactly the same for me.  Identical.

We used to get 2 mags. from them. American Rifleman for me & the Freedom Press (or something like that for Ellie. Then a few years ago Ellie got a letter saying she is now a charter member (whatever that is) and no longer had to pay dues. She no longer gets her mag. either! Just like Sgt. Sabre said, though every time I make a donation they send me at least 4-5 more requests with a different approach. ILA, we're broke, win truck, win guns etc. It has to cost more than my donation to keep sending me more requests. It's caused me to be hesitant to join any of these groups, I get tired of the begging just to see it wasted on postage & printing.

OK, I'm done whining.:lol:

Third level life member, Benefactor, but with the huge salaries and frivolous expenditures I doubt I will be sending them money any time soon.  Seems to me some of the smaller grass roots organizations are working harder.  More bang for the buck there.  The NRA needs a bit of change.

Your mileage may vary....

59 minutes ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

I've always thought the same thing. It seemed like every time I'd rejoin at a gun show, there'd be a renewal notice in the mailbox by the time I got home. And another one every couple weeks for the next year.

That is exactly why I stopped donating about 20 years ago before becoming a life member. My neighbor, friend and WWII vet (Jerry) was getting old and forgetful. He lived on Social Security with a pittance of a pension from a company he used to work for. He asked me to help with his checkbook, paying bills and finances. He had a 3 year NRA membership. When I balanced his checkbook, what a mess that was, I noticed that he had been "renewing" about every six months. When I asked him if he was donating or renewing, he told me that he just renewed whenever they sent him a renewal notice, he just sent his check in. Boy was I pissed at this predatory type mailing that obviously was meant to bamboozle the elderly. I added up what he had paid in the last two years.....I don't remember the amount now but it was equal to 12 years of membership and who knows how long this had been going on. 

I had to call the NRA about 6 or 7 times to get it straightened out and finally had to mention pursuing legal action before they would issue him a refund.

Jerry passed away about 15 years ago. For years I was pissed about what the NRA had done to Jerry and thousands of others like him.

Against my better judgement, I ended up ponying the money to go with a life membership only because the NRA was the heavyweight fighter in this fight and they were running a special. I still occasionally doubt if I should have when I see things like what happened in Virginia and some other places.

I sure do hope that they have ceased the predatory mailings but somehow I doubt it. I'll donate to GOA, SAF and others but the NRA has seen the last of my donations.

Apparently somebody got butt hurt over my same comments in Team SASS.
My apologies to Charlie for having to respond to the complaint and contact me.

As a Life NRA member, I've given a helluva lot of money to NRA over the years.
As a paying customer, I'm sorely disappointed with what I see as a lack of action, and a horrendous waste of donations on their lavish lifestyle.
I won't comment on NRA any more.

We definitely still need the NRA.

Lapierre is a classic example of a good leader, who did great things for an organization and its members, but stayed on way too long and has become identified in his own mind with the organization itself; unable to see that he harms the organization, its mission, and its members.

His political control seems complete. Like a dictator who survives a coup attempt, he is reinvigorated by parrying the recent challenge (which was itself ill-conceived).

Wish I had a solution.

Still support the NRA - nothing is perfect, but they have done great things and continue the fight for us...in short...they have earned it.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

My guess on why they didn't put the letter in the magazine is because of publication dates.  We have a couple of people here who write for magazines, they can probably tell us what the timeline looks like.  I'm pretty sure most of what you read in the NRA mags are submitted at least 3 months in advance.  I'd imagine it takes at least a couple months to get the whole thing put together.  Most  likely they weren't ready with the full letter by the drop dead date for the magazines.  2 pages seems like a lot to tell us to hang on for more, but perhaps the original plan was to print the entire letter in the magazine itself. 

Disclaimer, I'm not home so I haven't seen the magazine or the letter yet. 

Archived