SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 1873 357 mag

Rolyrock

.y brand new 1873 Uberti competition fifle in 357 will only hold 8 rounds instead of 10. 

Wi adding an after market tube fitted for 357/38 fix the problem or could it be something else. Haven't tried flat nose round nose. Just RN lead 38 specials. Thank you SASS 

5 minutes ago, Rolyrock said:

.y brand new 1873 Uberti competition fifle in 357 will only hold 8 rounds instead of 10. 

Wi adding an after market tube fitted for 357/38 fix the problem or could it be something else. Haven't tried flat nose round nose. Just RN lead 38 specials. Thank you SASS 

How long is the barrel/mag tube?

Possibly just need to shorten the mag tube spring. Regardless, you shouldn't be shooting RN bullets in a lever action gun.

It could have the wrong magazine spring (too long) in it.  It could have a ding in the mag tube stopping the follower.  It could be rusty/dirty inside the mag tube hanging up the follower.  

A magazine spring doesn't need to stick out of the end of the mag tube more than about 3". Make sure the  spring is is seating in the follower correctly. I agree with Tyrell, I wouldn't use round nose bullets in a tubular magazine.

Randy

How long is the barrel on your rifle?

How long is the magazine tube on your rifle?

Ten .357’s usually takes up about 16 inches in your magazine tube, so it’s a matter of how long internally, your magazine tube is, minus the combined length of the compressed magazine spring and the follower.  That’s about how much internal magazine length (capacity) you have for ammo.   Using .38 Special ammo might (maybe) save you 1, (maybe 2?) inches, which likely isn’t enough.

If you’ve loaded your reloads too long, that could be part of the problem, especially if you ordered your rifle with a very short barrel (like 19 inches).  Then of course, you have a comparitively short magazine tube, which (again) contains the compressed internal spring, plus the follower.

i don’t know how much you give up in reliability if you clip (shorten) the magazine tube spring, in an attempt to increase magazine capacity.  Clipping off 3 or 4 inches of the (relaxed) magazine spring certainly will not give you the extra 3+ inches of magazine capacity you are looking for, and could weaken the spring to the point that it will not perform properly.

Cat Brules

Don't want to hijack this post but Tyrel Cody said up above that OP shouldn't be shooting round nose bullets in a lever action gun. I just bought a Taylor 1873 lever action in .357 made by Uberti and I will be shooting .357 RNFP bullets, so I'm just a bit confused. Will the RNFP bullets run in my rifle?

4 minutes ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

Don't want to hijack this post but Tyrel Cody said up above that OP shouldn't be shooting round nose bullets in a lever action gun. I just bought a Taylor 1873 lever action in .357 made by Uberti and I will be shooting .357 RNFP bullets, so I'm just a bit confused. Will the RNFP bullets run in my rifle?

Yes.

RN = Round Nose

RNFP = Round Nose Flat Point

TC = Truncated Cone(has a flat point)

RN has the potential to set off a primer because the nose is smaller than the primer pocket.

RNFP & TC have a flat point slightly bigger than the primer pocket and are safe.

Thanks TC, I appreciate you answering my question.

AG

Seems strange it' s only accepting 8.

Uberti’s shortest .357 ‘73 (16.1” bbl trapper) is listed with a capacity of 9.  Their 18” has a capacity of 10.

7 hours ago, WOLFY said:

Uberti’s shortest .357 ‘73 (16.1” bbl trapper) is listed with a capacity of 9.  Their 18” has a capacity of 10.

The Uberti made .357 lever action I just bought Is the Taylor "Trapper" model with the 18 inch barrel and it holds 10 rounds.

We have shoot RNFP bullets for years.  I am sure over 70,000 rounds out of each rifle.  No problems.  We have shot TC for the last six years. 

On 4/24/2020 at 5:47 AM, Cat Brules said:

How long is the barrel on your rifle?

How long is the magazine tube on your rifle?

Ten .357’s usually takes up about 16 inches in your magazine tube, so it’s a matter of how long internally, your magazine tube is, minus the combined length of the compressed magazine spring and the follower.  That’s about how much internal magazine length (capacity) you have for ammo.   Using .38 Special ammo might (maybe) save you 1, (maybe 2?) inches, which likely isn’t enough.

If you’ve loaded your reloads too long, that could be part of the problem, especially if you ordered your rifle with a very short barrel (like 19 inches).  Then of course, you have a comparitively short magazine tube, which (again) contains the compressed internal spring, plus the follower.

i don’t know how much you give up in reliability if you clip (shorten) the magazine tube spring, in an attempt to increase magazine capacity.  Clipping off 3 or 4 inches of the (relaxed) magazine spring certainly will not give you the extra 3+ inches of magazine capacity you are looking for, and could weaken the spring to the point that it will not perform properly.

Cat Brules

Thank you for your response.  I am learning more on SASS then I have from any other source.  

25 minutes ago, Rolyrock said:

I guess I will only be shooting RNFP. But how does LSWC work?

On 4/23/2020 at 12:56 PM, Rolyrock said:

Most lever guns do not like SWC, use them in pistols. You said you bought a competition Uberti, most competition ready guns have had a short stroke kit with reduced springs, and a reduced stainless steel mag spring and follower. Does yours have this action work done?? Either way it should hold 10 rounds. Good Luck:)

On 4/25/2020 at 2:03 AM, WOLFY said:

Seems strange it' s only accepting 8.

17 hours ago, Arizona Gunfighter said:

The Uberti made .357 lever action I just bought Is the Taylor "Trapper" model with the 18 inch barrel and it holds 10 rounds.

So, the uberti competition model appears to be a 20" bbl.   That should fit more than 10x .38 spl

In their catalog, the Uberti Competition, #342905 shows as a 10+1 capacity in 357.
If it won't load that many, this tells me there is a mechanical problem.. crimp, jam, spring, etc.

9 hours ago, WOLFY said:

irt 66/73 rifles, is there any problem feeding ammo loaded under-sized?

Yes. If too short the next round can prevent the carrier block from raising. This can usually be fixed by extending the ramp on the front of the carrier so the next round is pushed back into the mag tube, but will make it harder to work the lever. It's best to keep ammo at 1.45 oil or longer.

I have also seen pins put at the back of the carrier to hold the rounds forward, usually for 44 Russian and/or Cowboy 45 Special.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

In their catalog, the Uberti Competition, #342905 shows as a 10+1 capacity in 357.
If it won't load that many, this tells me there is a mechanical problem.. crimp, jam, spring, etc.

I agree almost 100%

Saw a thing happen w a 20" Miroku 92 one match.   Shooter was feeling (what they thought was too much) resistance and only loading 7, feeding their last 3 on the clock.  After two stages I asked them at the loading table what was wrong and they showed me that around the 5th round, the spring tension got a lot stronger and by the time they got to round 7, they were pretty certain that's all it'd hold.

Wasn't anything wrong w that rifle.  They just needed to use both hands while loading.

This might be too simple for the discussion.   Have you tried removing the cap, spring and follower and running a 3/8" (. 375") rod down the mag tube?  It should pass all the way through.  Did it? 

With that ruled out, what is the Cartridge Overall Length of your ammo x 10?  Is it longer than the mag tube, minus the fully compressed spring length? 

Next dumb question:  How hard are you pushing against the mag spring?  It does require substantial pressure, the last few rounds.  

One of those three things has to be the problem.  

DDD, all good ways to figure out why he can only fit 8.

However, regardless of his cartridge dimensions, it's a 20" 73 in .357.  Ten .38spl should fit better than the ten .357 it's supposed to hold.

I've got a 20" 73 and I've never loaded .357's until yesterday just to find out if they fit. THEY DO!!

I run the Uberti competition model '73. Holding 10 .38's is no problem for this rifle. If 10 won't fit there is mechanical reason in the magazine as mentioned above. RNFP or TCFP both run good however mine likes the TCFP shape better. It's easier for me to keep the OAL at 1.45 with that shape and you can feel the difference closing the lever.

Archived